Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:27 PM

9,016 posts, read 13,862,812 times

Advertisements

Yeah i have found dogs smell too.

I can usually smell a home and know there is a dog.

I dont get the whole"Cats smell worse than dogs" thing.

But this thread was made because people go out of their way to be mean to cats,it is weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Cats are cool. I only have 1 cat now (born 5/06). The last time I had one cat was back in 1993. My sweet & loving 19 yr old died 2 weeks ago tonight. She died around 10:00 pm & I buried her in my back yard around 1:00 am sunday morn. I spent the last few hours with her & she died on my bed next to me. I adopted her 9/8/2000. This is the longest I have had a cat (over 17 yrs). I have had 10 cats total since 1989. I don't plan to adopt anymore cats but I will always have at least one.
Sorry for your loss.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:05 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,683,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
If a cat owner's home stinks it's because they're lazy and don't keep their cat's box clean. I bleach my cat box twice a week and scoop it at least twice a day. Cats themselves usually don't smell unless there's a health problem involved. If there's stink it's because of the filthy negligent owner. That dog smell though will make me gag. I remember one of my teachers in 8th grade reeked of dog smell. The whole classroom stank.
Eek. Yeah, as said, the reason a home with a pet will smell is due to the owner. I maintain the cat box too and I think that if others did not know I had a cat, they would not know one lives here if entering my place. Also, some may not train cats properly and they may end up peeing on the rug, then this can give cat owners a bad name when looking to rent.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,478,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Eek. Yeah, as said, the reason a home with a pet will smell is due to the owner. I maintain the cat box too and I think that if others did not know I had a cat, they would not know one lives here if entering my place. Also, some may not train cats properly and they may end up peeing on the rug, then this can give cat owners a bad name when looking to rent.
Most can't be bothered to clean it twice a day, once a day is all they'll do, and most don't bleach it every week, at least not that I've seen...

Not to say they're slobs, but there is a smell...And the cats don't aim 100%...they go noseblind to the fact the carpet immediately surrounding it smells.

And as a dog person, I recognize that my dogs have a smell too that those that don't have dogs might notice.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 AM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Most can't be bothered to clean it twice a day, once a day is all they'll do, and most don't bleach it every week, at least not that I've seen...

Not to say they're slobs, but there is a smell...And the cats don't aim 100%...they go noseblind to the fact the carpet immediately surrounding it smells.

And as a dog person, I recognize that my dogs have a smell too that those that don't have dogs might notice.
Who puts a litter box on carpet? Mine is in the bathroom on a mat that catches the kickout litter.

I do clean mine twice a day, because I WILL notice when I come back in the house after being out if the box is full/needs to be cleaned.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,457,524 times
Let me start by saying that I do not hate cats. However, I am not crazy about them. I certainly do not want one.

For some reason, cat lovers seem to think that if anyone does not "love" cats, they are somehow mean, crazy, hateful, etc. I just don't care for cats. I wish them no harm, of course, and I am glad for those who enjoy them. I just don't want to be around them. Yes, I am a little allergic, but not enough to make them a problem for me.

To each their own. Enjoy them if you will, but don't criticize those of us who don't.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:50 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,049,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Sorry for your loss.
Thanks. She was a very good & loving cat. At least she died @ home (like my previous 3 cats). Four cats are buried in my tiny back yard.

Old 02-09-2018, 04:11 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,722,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who puts a litter box on carpet? Mine is in the bathroom on a mat that catches the kickout litter.

I do clean mine twice a day, because I WILL notice when I come back in the house after being out if the box is full/needs to be cleaned.
The kickout/trackout litter is why I won't have mine on a linoleum or wood or tile floor. The sense of possibly stepping on the litter in bare feet on such a floor skeeves me right out. Also, I get paranoid that someone will close a bathroom door. I bought a cheap rug, a pretty big one. I've got a hallway that has this sort of alcove for the laundry facilities and there is space near it for the litterbox. Put down this rug, and I vacuum it pretty often. My cat has good aim, I've never had an issue with him peeing (or anything else) outside of the box.

I had to create obstacles though. I got a tall plastic tub with a lid that latches on, and I keep the clean litter and a scoop in there. I placed it by the litterbox as a means to slow down the cat. If I don't sort of block his path a bit, he'll go leaping out of the box and dashing off to run around the house at warp 6 after every time he finishes his business. He's a goof. Like, "Yay, I pooped! Victory lap!" or something.

I only scoop once daily but I only have one cat. It makes me insane when people just sorta forget about the box until it's "overflowing"...that's like...animal abuse. It's wrong, and disgusting.

Also, as a cat lover, I don't judge anyone for "not liking" cats or for preferring dogs. I ONLY...literally only cannot abide people who actually HATE cats, as in, the ones who will swerve to hit one or something, and I have seen this, and met these people. And even though I don't prefer dogs, when I hear about abuse of dogs I get furious, too. Animal abuse is one of the few things that makes me downright ragey. It's monstrous and evil.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:26 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,881,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
...If I don't sort of block his path a bit, he'll go leaping out of the box and dashing off to run around the house at warp 6 after every time he finishes his business. He's a goof. Like, "Yay, I pooped! Victory lap!" or something.
Me too ! Ears back, banking off the walls, running so fast the back feet are catching up, "lookit me! Light as a feather now!"
...I mean my cat.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Let me start by saying that I do not hate cats. However, I am not crazy about them. I certainly do not want one.

For some reason, cat lovers seem to think that if anyone does not "love" cats, they are somehow mean, crazy, hateful, etc. I just don't care for cats. I wish them no harm, of course, and I am glad for those who enjoy them. I just don't want to be around them. Yes, I am a little allergic, but not enough to make them a problem for me.

To each their own. Enjoy them if you will, but don't criticize those of us who don't.

Nobody said you must be mean if you don't like cats.

Re-read the OP.

I am specifically referring to people who loudly proclaim to hate cats. Most actually speak so proudly of saying "I hate cats".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology