Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Well, some of them are charming and really adept at pulling you in. Thinking on smart ones vs not so smart, it hit me that I had a friend who I now see is an N. But he was not good at it. Attempts at gas lighting failed, and not because I recognized them as such, but because the attempts were so poor.

I was just like ? That was weird to say.

Power differentials come into play as well. I held the power. He wanted to be around me more than I did him.
A lot of Ns will only be with people they know they can control, or feel superior to, and lose interest if it doesn't work out that way. They won't keep trying, they buzz away to another flower.

This N I know joined a dating service and demanded only men with lower education and no children, even though she had kids. She didn't want them to have money or own a home. She did have money and a house. It's pretty obvious what is going on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 08:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I hate to have to say no to her, but I have to say no to her. It doesn't matter if it is or isn't her fault.
Wow, true dat.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:07 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Years ago, I did the est training and got a lot of good out of it (no, I didn't join the cult).
I told my mom that she might find it useful (at the time, I didn't realize she was a narcissist, just recognized she was unhappy). A friend of hers suggested it,too, so mom did the training. I picked her up at the end and she was LIVID.

"My friends and family think I'm a B-witch so they made me take the est training!" was about all I got out of her.
We never discussed it again, but she told my brother that she had disagreed with the trainer, and thought he was going to tell the other attendees to tear her to shreds.

So I would say mom did not like looking in that mirror. She DID recognize herself, but quickly threw the blame on everyone else.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Years ago, I did the est training and got a lot of good out of it (no, I didn't join the cult).
I told my mom that she might find it useful (at the time, I didn't realize she was a narcissist, just recognized she was unhappy). A friend of hers suggested it,too, so mom did the training. I picked her up at the end and she was LIVID.

"My friends and family think I'm a B-witch so they made me take the est training!" was about all I got out of her.
We never discussed it again, but she told my brother that she had disagreed with the trainer, and thought he was going to tell the other attendees to tear her to shreds.

So I would say mom did not like looking in that mirror. She DID recognize herself, but quickly threw the blame on everyone else.
Right well Ns have created a false self-image and demand THAT be reflected, so yeah. Their whole life is spent avoiding a real mirror.

I'm glad I am a mere mortal. !

Old 10-13-2017, 11:39 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
My sister is a narcissist. She says she is a "perfectionist".

Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 AM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
My sister is a narcissist. She says she is a "perfectionist".
Narcissists are quite different from perfectionists.

If anything, I would say that narcissists are the opposite of perfectionists.

Perfectionists at least strive to do well (and often do), while narcissists are very concerned with adulation and taking credit for things they don't accomplish.

There's a famous example of an extremely powerful narcissist in the news, but further details of that discussion is not permitted in this forum.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 AM

162 posts, read 117,186 times
From my experience, malignant narcissists know there's something wrong with them, but the thought of actually spending some alone time and confronting their inner demons terrifies them to the point where it's permanently out-of-the-question.

So, they're kind of aware, but not really. And they're never going to fix themselves.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:33 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Is a narcissist the same as sociopath?

Old 10-14-2017, 07:44 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inacitysomewhere View Post
They might "know" it, but they dont "get" it.
This! And I would add that on top of that, they seldom care.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:55 AM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Narcissist being self aware ....?
No. I don't think they are.

For that matter, I think most of us cannot really see ourselves.

Sometimes there are three of us: (1)The one we see; (2)the one others see; (3)and the one that really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology