Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 02:08 PM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

I've always been hyper-aware of what time it is. Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, I have a good awareness of the time and how long I have until the next thing on my list. I've always been this way and wonder if other people are like this.

I ask because there are clearly people in my universe who are not. Fewer people seem to wear watches nowadays. And at least a few times a week, I'll hear a co-worker say something like "Geez it's lunch time already?" And while I fully accept that everyone is different, it baffles me that you can work at a computer that has a clock on the screen and still have no idea of the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 03:04 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
Only when I'm at work.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:09 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
Sometimes I try to guess what the time is before actually checking it, and I’m usually quite good at estimating what time it is.

This is odd though... if I have a migraine, time seems to run by really slowly. I don’t know whether it’s me wanting the day (plus my migraine) to go by quicker, or what.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I loved watches and was never without one on my wrist or on a chain. I've had quit a collection and set a clock for work for about 40 yrs...that is behind me thank goodness. I now own one timex and wear it when I have to go out. I pull the stem out to save the battery when I'm not wearing it.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:03 PM

604 posts, read 838,927 times
Yes, I am because I have a lot of things I do at specific times most days of the week. My husband drives me a little crazy because he is not as time conscious as I am. For example, if he's home when I'm leaving for work he'll start asking me questions when I'm walking out the door. And I often say, I have to leave right now to get to work on time so I can't stand here and talk for 5 minutes. Same thing happens in the office. We have a Tuesday meeting every week at the same time and when I'm on the way to the meeting someone will stop me and I'll say I'm on my way to a meeting. They continue talking and I find myself wondering "Do they think time is not passing while they talk?"

Old 10-17-2017, 06:52 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
It is a rare happy moment when I do not know the time

Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
I had a friend who refused to wear a watch. (this was before cellphones) So he never really knew what time it is. He just went on some sort of instinct. And apparently used just whatever clock he happened to see or pass by depending upon where he was.

He also refused to have an alarm clock. He maintained that he always wakes up when he needs to.

I found it annoying. And cannot understand someone who refuses to wear a watch and never really knows what time it is. I realize that a lot of people (maybe even most?) use their cellphone for the time now. (but this was before cellphones)

I love the way watches look. I find so many of them beautiful.

I also like knowing what time it is, at all times!

Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
My dog is better at telling the time than I am. Seriously. I feed her at 4pm and I'll be involved doing something on the computer, completely unaware that it's that late and I swear, right at 4pm, she will come up and start bugging me to feed her.

I am not a good multi-tasker, so maybe that's the difference between those who can keep track of the time, while doing something else. I tend to get really into another world when I'm working on something, and I'm just focusing on the task at hand, and lose all sense of time. If I need to be keeping track of something else, I need to set timers or alarms. Or a dog.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:01 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I’m terrible with the time.

Me: “I’m in a huge hurry! I want to leave by 8 am!” Family: “It’s past 8 am already.”

Me: “Crap! I have to be there by 9am!” Family: “ It’s 9 am right now.” Ugh. God forbid they actually try to reorient me to the time: “ Mom ... it’s 730.” Me: “ I KNOW THAT! I don’t need a kid to watch the clock for me!”

The stove clock is set 10 min ahead & so is the car clock. Standard operating procedure is for everyone to tell me something starts 1 hour earlier than everybody else.

I stagger 3 different morning alarms & 2 before my son’s bus arrives at 4pm to drop him off.

And I’ve been this way since day 1; I’m pretty sure I’m hopeless. I’m aware of all the psychology regarding passive/aggressive tendencies & such but if you knew me, you’d know that wasn’t the case, it’s just me.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:16 PM

638 posts, read 529,221 times
Yes. If properly motivated I can set a mental alarm clock too, and I have never been in the military. Directions on the other hand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology