Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 11:26 PM

5,785 posts, read 3,570,091 times

Advertisements

U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
https://www.mentalhealth.gov/basics/...cts/index.html

Myth: Mental health problems don't affect me.
Fact: Mental health problems are actually very common.

Myth: People with mental health problems are violent and unpredictable.
Fact: The vast majority of people with mental health problems are no more likely to be violent than anyone else.

Myth: People with mental health needs, even those who are managing their mental illness, cannot tolerate the stress of holding down a job.
Fact: People with mental health problems are just as productive as other employees.

Myth: Personality weakness or character flaws cause mental health problems. People with mental health problems can snap out of it if they try hard enough.
Fact: Mental health problems have nothing to do with being lazy or weak and many people need help to get better. Many factors contribute to mental health problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM

25,683 posts, read 21,844,968 times
Fact: Mental health problems do not affect me.

Not sure what the point is of the OP, and seriously, the government's website concerning much of anything always has an agenda.

33% of people with mental health issues remain on welfare: http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct01/disabilities.aspx

The majority of homeless are mentally ill.

I just don't see where OP wishes to go with this.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,977,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Not sure what the point is of the OP, and seriously, the government's website concerning much of anything always has an agenda.

33% of people with mental health issues remain on welfare: http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct01/disabilities.aspx

Causes of homelessness in the United States include lack of affordable housing, divorce, lawful eviction, negative cash flow, post traumatic stress disorder, foreclosure, fire, natural disasters (hurricane, earthquake, or flood), mental illness, physical disability, having no family or supportive relatives, substance abuse, lack of needed services, elimination of pensions and unemployment entitlements, no or inadequate income sources, such as Social Security, stock dividends, or annuity), poverty (no net worth), gambling, unemployment, and low-paying jobs. Homelessness in the United States affects many segments of the population, including families, children, domestic violence victims, ex-convicts, veterans, the aged, and others. Efforts to assist people that are homeless have included federal legislation, non-profit efforts, increased access to healthcare services, affordable housing, among others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homele..._United_States

The government collects data, and often the data is sold in raw form to publishers who repackage it, sell it and profit. Almost all segments of society rely on government data collection, and the original collection of government data, the census, was instituted in our Constitution. It is easy to dismiss something if the conclusions do not fit your world view, but the fact remains that government statistics undergird almost everything.

Homelessness which is everywhere here in the PNW, is a complicated problem with probably no easy answers. Dealing with it would probably require too many painful actions which we resist doing.

One problem we are having here is that landlords are kicking people out of subsidized housing in order to rehab and rent at the going rates. People who have paid their rents for years, are finding themselves without homes.

Another problem that I have heard about is that young people form bands and roam around, not rooting themselves or finding work. Others do drugs, possibly as a form of self medication, although certainly not all homeless people are mentally ill. Poverty seems to be another big reason now.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 PM

5,785 posts, read 3,570,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Where "I'm going with this" is that even in this day and age, people still stigmatize mental illness, and this issue needs to be addressed. What I posted is just a part of what the linked page lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology