Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 06:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,662 times

Advertisements

My old friend was married about 18 years and now divorced for almost six... she said she is going to ask her husband to send her something for their anniversary because she put a lot of time in the relationship and should be acknowledged. He's single and she said he does it but I suspect if he meets someone she won't like him sending her stuff for their anniversary that is kind of like compensation or something... I would venture to say most people will not agree with her request or him going along with it. She said he travelled way too much on many occasions he wasn't required to by his work but offered or agreed to it and that was the main factor that led to breakdown of the marriage so she feels like she should be compensated for how she sacrificed over the years, iow being a single parent on his long business trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
OP: I think I'm reading this right...and I say No Way. Asking for a gift???

Old 10-20-2017, 08:22 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
My old friend was married about 18 years and now divorced for almost six... she said she is going to ask her husband to send her something for their anniversary because she put a lot of time in the relationship and should be acknowledged. He's single and she said he does it but I suspect if he meets someone she won't like him sending her stuff for their anniversary that is kind of like compensation or something... I would venture to say most people will not agree with her request or him going along with it. She said he travelled way too much on many occasions he wasn't required to by his work but offered or agreed to it and that was the main factor that led to breakdown of the marriage so she feels like she should be compensated for how she sacrificed over the years, iow being a single parent on his long business trips.
This is one of the most idiotic ideas I have ever heard.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:28 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
I don't know about them, but sometimes people still love each other even after they are divorced. There is definitely something unusual about their relationship if he goes along with this.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:51 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,748 times
Some people will do anything for gifts. Poor guy.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:04 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I think I'm reading this right...and I say No Way. Asking for a gift???
Yes. Asking for a gift.. she seems to see it as he travelled for business unnecessarily for extended times- she had asked him not to do all that because she was left as a single parent w their two kids when he did.. and he did it anyways when it wasn't required and caused the breakup, she feels she should be compensated or acknowledged for all the time and sacrifice she put in. She asked if I see her point and I was afraid to answer Like I said assuming he begins another relationship in the future he would most likely either have to stop, (doubt a girlfriend would like that dynamic) or secretly give her gifts, not a good idea. She said she asked him for a Pandora bracelet and a gift card for their upcoming anniversary. I just said "oh, well, okay.. yea..." basically

Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Yes. Asking for a gift.. she seems to see it as he travelled for business unnecessarily for extended times- she had asked him not to do all that because she was left as a single parent w their two kids when he did.. and he did it anyways when it wasn't required and caused the breakup, she feels she should be compensated or acknowledged for all the time and sacrifice she put in. She asked if I see her point and I was afraid to answer

They are divorced. That was her "reward" for his perceived poor behavior.

Talk about entitlement. They are done. Holding onto a grudge like that is, in the words of Carrie Fisher, like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,748 times
Certain women also ask for "push gifts" ... compensation for pushing a baby out. They feel entitled to compensation from their husband for pain and suffering.

A lot of sick people out there.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,093,726 times
Oh. Dear. God.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,052,275 times
Quote:
She has "issues" and should seek professional help....smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology