Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 11:11 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Dark water at night - while I wouldn't consider it a phobia, I dislike it and feel uncomfortable around it.
Tight, enclosed spaces - yeah, that's definitely a phobia. I'm very claustrophobic to the point where I have difficulty even watching a movie where someone else is in tight, enclosed spaces.

Wow, you must be a duplicate of me in terms of phobias!

I like water but at night...hmmm. Just something about dark water at night makes me edgy.

And the small spaces. NOPE, NOPE, NOPE.

I remember when I was a kid my mom was watching this horror movie and there was a scene of a guy being buried alive in a coffin...ugh. I tease her and tell her she ruined my 10th year with that movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003
Ommetaphobia - fear of anything near my eyes.

A kid in grade school had his cornea paper cut while passing mimeograph paper (If you are old enough, you will never forget the smell of fresh mimeograph paper)

I can have my eyes examined, but when I get my cataracts fixed they will need t knock me out.
Ah ha ha ha and you are my identical twin in phobias

I'm okay with something by my eyes...if it's at least a couple of feet away!

Horror movies don't bother me, even the goriest ones. If someone ever really wants to ruin my day all they need to do is give me a graphic recount of their cataract/LASIK surgery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 11:23 PM

247 posts, read 198,081 times
For me: HEIGHTS, small spaces, Orca whales, driving (I am in the process of dealing with this phobia as I have gotten my learner's license again and will be taking driving lessons soon).

Old 10-27-2017, 11:49 PM

15 posts, read 12,130 times
Moths.

I'm not a huge fan of insects generally, but nothing will make me freak out more than a moth.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:35 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,193 times
MRI tubes. Tried it once, lasted about 5 seconds. I had nightmares for several months. I'm normally not claustrophobic, or didn't think I was, but that did me in.

Tipping over, as in being in a car and tipping into a deep ditch. I once had a boyfriend who would deliberately swerve toward ditches just to **** me off.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:14 AM

8 posts, read 4,905 times
Birds. Terribly, ridiculously scared. I lock my car door when there are too many for my liking (read: 2) gathering.

My other phobia is not rational, please know that I know that; but the what if gets me.

I am TERRIFIED of vampires. To the point where I can't hear the word if I am going to be home over night by myself. I start spinning thinking of the 'rules'; you have to invite them into your house before they can enter. What if you invited them before they turned into a vampire? Is it a retroactive thing?

Like I said, I know it's stupid. But it scares me so much I took my son to see Twilight and I smuggled in a cross, just in case.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:29 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Unleashed dogs
Sinkholes
Deep water, even though I'm a good swimmer
Cockroaches

Old 10-28-2017, 08:36 AM

1,257 posts, read 888,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
MRI tubes. Tried it once, lasted about 5 seconds. I had nightmares for several months. I'm normally not claustrophobic, or didn't think I was, but that did me in.
MRI Tubes.

I had a full blown panic attack in a standard MRI tube so the dr sent me to an open MRI 4 hours away. You think that helped? NOPE!!! I refused to do it but my husband said we drove all this way, my dr said if I refused it I would lose my license because I’d had a Grand Mal Seizure and they had to figure out why ... if they didn’t figure out why, I couldn’t drive. So I had to calm the heck down (how???) ... I told them I would only do it if my husband could stay in there with me holding my leg the entire time. They made a very rare exception for me. They did ask if I wanted Valium but the feeling of being totally out of control would have made it worse.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:17 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Flying or jumping insects

dusk--I'm okay once it's completely dark; I can view the sunset, but the panic sets in in those moments after sunset and before total darkness.

driving on interstates with exits/merge lanes

Stairs that have spaces between them so you can see between the steps. The higher the staircase, the worse it gets. This can render me frozen. Otherwise, heights don't bother me.

I love swimming, but will not let my feet touch the ocean bottom. Even if I can see the bottom. It is ridiculous how I get in the water.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:32 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,879,210 times
One would think a pause-to-check person would be prone to phobias, but the only one I've noticed I have is fear of heights. Many of the fears mentioned in this thread would hardly cause a reaction in me. Maybe I just feel I have nothing to lose or that little can hurt me more than some experiences already have.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
Paperwork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology