Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times

Advertisements

No matter where you go in life, you create enemies. If you don't have enemies, you're not alive.

These are people that aren't simply associates who rival you. They are not friendly competitors. They aren't interested in reading vague internet articles about how forgiveness is satisfying either.

These people hate you and desire direct harm to you. They will find satisfaction when you lose, and take great pleasure in it. They will celebrate how it is to be your enemy.

I've always found the idea of enemies to be strange. Simply discovering them was surprising, and even then they screwed themselves up at how hostile they were. Then I discovered enemies of my own.

How is it that we create enemies? Are we simply that basic and simplistic? Or is there a more important advantage with the reality of having enemies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Nope.

Sounds like armchair office worker babble to me.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:19 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Disagree about automatically generating enemies if you are alive. If I have personal enemies they are so well hidden they may never find a way to surface. If an enemy is someone who lives to destroy you, how would that even work? Guess you need to have some innate paranoia to believe everyone has a sworn enemy.

Reminds me of another bit of babble: a supervisor knows they are effective if there is always at least one employee who is mad at them. Never got that one either. The person I heard this from was a supervisor. Also knew working for this guy would be a miserable existence.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-24-2017 at 02:50 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 02:20 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
No matter where you go in life, you create enemies. If you don't have enemies, you're not alive.

These are people that aren't simply associates who rival you. They are not friendly competitors. They aren't interested in reading vague internet articles about how forgiveness is satisfying either.

These people hate you and desire direct harm to you. They will find satisfaction when you lose, and take great pleasure in it. They will celebrate how it is to be your enemy.
I disagree completely. I'm sure there are people that dislike me but I don't know of anyone who is actively trying to harm me. Not everyone has enemies.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:25 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,903 times
Enemy is in your perception because it is something that goes against your will. However, something goes against your will does not make the other person wrong, is just a different perspective of how something should be done.

If you focus on negative energy and negative attitude, you will attract those negative people and event toward you. Think yourself like a magnate, your attraction is the reflection of yourself.

Improve yourself and don't blame others. Most people have the problem within themselves and never recognize it, but simply put the blame on others or the society that have not done enough for them.

If you have not contribute enough in life, you don't deserve anything in life. You should expect yourself to give out more than asking of what you can get from others. Only when you done enough, that would be the time for you to enjoy what the society has to offer you.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
I stopped having enemies in about the 8th grade. That's when I began to understand the effect of my actions on the world around me.

If you have enemies as an adult, you're doing something very wrong.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:18 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Competition in a business or office environment is part of the "game" so to speak, so enemy like behavior here is not likely personal nor limited to just one individual. In personal life, you will run across people who either simply don't like you and/or are jealous/envious for whatever reason. If you have a problem with someone like this that is ongoing/long term, and you are not in an environment where it would be easy to put some distance between them and yourself (office co-worker, relative, etc.) then do so.

Then there is "generalized" enemy like behavior born from individuals with their own troubles who create problems for many around them, again, not specific to one individual. But when you are on the receiving end of their nonsense, it can come across as personal.

Two examples in my experience as follows:

A. My GF and I have a friend who is depressed, too sensitive to the troubles of the world, and has a sarcastic/deprecating wit, sense of humor. He targets individuals he feels comfortable with time and time again, because others will not be kind, benevolent or "understanding"... He never self deprecates of course, and tends to target in public with an audience in an attempt to get a laugh or win friends and influence people. He can go into dark mood swings at any given time that are long lasting, and is often selfish/self serving in actions and deeds. He very much feels like an enemy to me at times, but deep down is more of a troubled soul.

B. I know a woman who is a fellow member of a local organization I belong to. She has a perpetual "cool kids in high school" mindset although she is technically a senior citizen. She is always forming cliques, making exclusive arrangements with other important/prominent members of the organization, setting up sabotage and internecine schemes to further her ends, etc. Again, she comes across as very insecure and needy, but when the fallout of one of her plots or schemes affects one personally it can be very annoying. Again, behavior is not specific to any individual and I see her as troubled and insecure rather than an enemy.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:47 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
I mustn't be alive then lol.:smack

Don't agree with your premise at all. well unless of course you are doing nasty,hurtful snide things to people then sure you will make enemies or you are dealing with a toxic insecure vindictive spiteful arse.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I guess I am dead. I do not have enemies. None.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I'm not into the whole "enemies" thing either. I try to make a friend or at least a friendly acquaintance, of everyone. Most people like me, though very few truly KNOW me, they like me at a surface level at least. I don't make a whole lot of deep connections.

I have, to the best of my knowledge, only one enemy of sorts. And then he's only a "sometimes" enemy when he's struggling with bitterness and anger and a need to blame me for his hurts and struggles. My ex husband of course. I would have much preferred to be friends, but he is not willing to do that. So given that fact, I want to simply be left alone, but there are times he's not willing to do that either. If we didn't have to co-parent our teenagers, it might be easier. Hopefully by the time they are grown, he can let go his anger and hate of me and move on.

Otherwise, I like people and I'm nice to people and I don't have enemies. I don't tend to get into conflicts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology