Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:06 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I did one session when I went thru a divorce and that was it. Time is what healed me of this major life change.

Issues with my daughter and there were plenty, I got help from a MFC when I was really stuck..She helped a lot and price was right.

Then in the 80's I found Science of Mind "churches" and for 20 some yrs life took a 1000 degree turnaround for me. SOM philosophy is "change your mind, change your life"...it works.

SOM is free and is found in many larger cities. Some with churches and some with study group centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 06:21 PM

212 posts, read 159,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I did one session when I went thru a divorce and that was it. Time is what healed me of this major life change.

Issues with my daughter and there were plenty, I got help from a MFC when I was really stuck..She helped a lot and price was right.

Then in the 80's I found Science of Mind "churches" and for 20 some yrs life took a 1000 degree turnaround for me. SOM philosophy is "change your mind, change your life"...it works.

SOM is free and is found in many larger cities. Some with churches and some with study group centers.
To be honest im done talking to people about my problems, either I figure it out for myself or suffer mental illness. End thread.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screami View Post
It didn't do anything for me.
Therapy with the wrong therapist is definitely a waste of time and money. It sounds like you didn't get a good therapist, OP. It can be a bit hit-or-miss, sometimes--a needle-in-haystack search. It helps if you have a general idea of what you need, and do some internet research, to try to find a few good matches, then interview people by phone to try to narrow it down to one or two, then try them out.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Why are they churches?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screami View Post
Some of us don't have the money to hire multiple therapists.
Your insurance doesn't cover mental health care?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I did a few months of therapy after marriage v2.0 exploded. I was pretty depressed. I was already doing most of the right things with diet & exercise. I have the INTJ/engineer thing where I always say what I think, not what I feel. The Mister Spock worldview. I'm fairly self-aware but not so much about that aspect. It didn't help with imploded marriage v2.0 but I'm now aware that it's something I always need to work on. I thought it was helpful. By the time I'm 90, I might have it all figured out.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I did a few months of therapy after marriage v2.0 exploded. I was pretty depressed. I was already doing most of the right things with diet & exercise. I have the INTJ/engineer thing where I always say what I think, not what I feel. The Mister Spock worldview. I'm fairly self-aware but not so much about that aspect. It didn't help with imploded marriage v2.0 but I'm now aware that it's something I always need to work on. I thought it was helpful. By the time I'm 90, I might have it all figured out.
lolol! I love your self-deprecating humor. But yeah; they say youth is wasted on the young, or something. Just when you have it all figured out, and you're ready to give life a real go, and do it right, you get wheeled into the nursing home, and told to enjoy yourself playing pinochle or bridge.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are they churches?
Read in the History section.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_Science

O.C. was my last great "teacher" in SOM.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._C._Smith

Old 10-26-2017, 07:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Sometimes therapists/psychologists run clients down tracks of thinking that I don't think are beneficial.

A friend has been seeing a counselor for a long time and lately he has been coming up with ideas and notions which I think are not beneficial - and his more obvious problems seem to be ignored. I also think maybe my friend has not revealed all of his problems and his personal way of thinking to the counselor. Just my opinion, from knowing him a long time.

Counseling can go wrong in a number of ways. It can also be very helpful.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-26-2017 at 08:09 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Sometimes therapists/psychologists run clients down tracks of thinking that I don't think are beneficial.

A friend has been seeing a counselor for a long time and lately he has been coming up with ideas and notions which I think are not beneficial - and his more obvious problems seem to be ignored. I also think maybe my friend has not revealed all of his problems and his personal way of thinking to the counselor. Just my opinion, from knowing him a long time.

Counseling can go wrong in a number of ways. It can also be very helpful.
I agree, and it can help but one has to go on with live and put forth the work and actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology