Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

I have NOT done a balancing act for probably 20 yrs. As long as I'm ahead of the game and bank figures I'm good. I can't be bothered. I know those who spend hours tyring to find that penny.

Some people are so precise, is that like an OCD trait. Just wondering.

I've gotten more laid back as I've aged too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 02:48 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I'm one of the OCD-ish types with this, but... I actually find it FUN. Fiddling with my spreadsheets, moving numbers around, seeing who accounts for what expenses in my household, creating various reports showing me breakdowns of where my money goes over time and how it changes month to month and year to year...

It gives me something to do during my "quiet coffee time" in the morning where it's just too darn early to interact with anybody.

My checkbook is actually a tab in a spreadsheet, since I do everything electronically these days anyhow, but it is never, ever off. I don't truly need to balance it, but I watch for errors. There have been things I've caught by keeping such a sharp eye out. I had a significant bill at a decent restaurant for my whole family get accidentally double-charged, and I had to call and get it fixed. Other people mess up sometimes, and I'm not cool with just letting them have my money.

But I'm an accounting nerd anyways, it's what I have an education in and it's what I do (more or less) for a living. I enjoy crunching numbers. I even find tax preparation to be fun. *shrug*

Old 10-30-2017, 03:05 PM

It's only money and it comes and goes and before we know we go.

I've NEVER done a budget either or made a list of what I need at the store.

Numbers are not my bag, dancing and music is where I shine, or did shine.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:11 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Whenever I use my checkbook or ATM card I note it in my register on the spot. I don't have to spend hours balancing my checkbook. I just deduct the last transaction and know my balance.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Whenever I use my checkbook or ATM card I note it in my register on the spot. I don't have to spend hours balancing my checkbook. I just deduct the last transaction and know my balance.
I did that too, but when I was gone in rehabs for 4.5 months I lost so much contact with everything. So now I note nothing and count on the bank and trust their accounting. Even when I entered transactions, I had not balanced in years.

I was married to a mathmatical genius, guess why it's was.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:41 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's only money and it comes and goes and before we know we go.

I've NEVER done a budget either or made a list of what I need at the store.

Numbers are not my bag, dancing and music is where I shine, or did shine.
Honestly, I feel it must be nice to have that luxury. (Not having to do a budget.) But I need to know if spending a certain amount this week will make it so that I have nothing to eat next week. Sometimes things get tight, and I need to know just how tight exactly they are, and how it will affect the future.

I'm a bit envious of your music and dancing abilities too. I have much appreciation, but no talent, for music. And I cannot dance, not really. I'm clumsy. But I can make some pretty cool visual art. Been working in mixed media, doing sculptural relief work lately. It's fun.

Speaking of budgets...I have to stay out of Michael's (the craft supply store)...coupons notwithstanding, that place is hazardous to my budget.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I did that too, but when I was gone in rehabs for 4.5 months I lost so much contact with everything. So now I note nothing and count on the bank and trust their accounting. Even when I entered transactions, I had not balanced in years.

I was married to a mathmatical genius, guess why it's was.
My degree is in accounting, and I love playing with numbers. It's kind of a personal thing for me when things add up.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Honestly, I feel it must be nice to have that luxury. (Not having to do a budget.) But I need to know if spending a certain amount this week will make it so that I have nothing to eat next week. Sometimes things get tight, and I need to know just how tight exactly they are, and how it will affect the future.

I'm a bit envious of your music and dancing abilities too. I have much appreciation, but no talent, for music. And I cannot dance, not really. I'm clumsy. But I can make some pretty cool visual art. Been working in mixed media, doing sculptural relief work lately. It's fun.

Speaking of budgets...I have to stay out of Michael's (the craft supply store)...coupons notwithstanding, that place is hazardous to my budget.
Oh I've had times when I went to sleep worrying about money but got thru it all. And I didn't start saving until in my 40's...can still hear my mom saying "save your money"...

I'm not a spendthrift and worked hard for my money, no one handed it to me.

I can't imagine how today's people are spending $1000 for their new apple ipads or whatever they are called. I'm having issues buying my first cell phone for emergency times. Never owned one. I want a cell phone with minutes that are a one time buy and when used up buy more. But they are hard to find. I have a thread going in Retirement on that. Still haven't made a decision.

I live pretty simply and don't have big wants and needs.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,304,690 times
What is a check book ?

You know you're finally doing alright when you don't know nor care how much is in your bank account, you just know you've got enough. When you're poor, you know exactly how much money you have in there, down to the cent. Gotta make that $67.43 last till next Friday.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM

The expense of an item is subjective to how much one can afford to spend. While an iPad may be expensive to one, it may not be an issue to someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology