Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:45 PM

15 posts, read 8,844 times

Advertisements

You look at the likes of Hollywood, big YouTubers, Politicians, Business execs and the like and one thing that seems quite rampant is how many of them end up being pedos/sexually assaulters/screwing over anyone without a second thought for personal gain/just horrible people in general.

Is it just inevitable for the good majority that that is what anyone who attains fame/fortune will end up being? It may not be everyone but there's a reason disproportionately people that get fame and fortune end up being all kinds of scum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:43 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Maybe it's having all that money (root of all evil) and knowing they can't pretty well BUY whatever they want!!....

Old 10-27-2017, 04:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times
Yes, plenty. We just don't hear about them because they don't do anything terrible enough to make it to the news.

I read celebrity news and the moral ones are too boring to make it to the news.

Old 10-27-2017, 04:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe it's having all that money (root of all evil) and knowing they can't pretty well BUY whatever they want!!....
Money is not the root of all evil. The LOVE of money is. There are plenty of people who have a lot of money but don't show it.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:00 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,356,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Yes, plenty. We just don't hear about them because they don't do anything terrible enough to make it to the news.

I read celebrity news and the moral ones are too boring to make it to the news.
Yeah, I don't know that there are a higher percentage of famous or wealthy people that are corrupt than exists in the regular population.

There's Oprah. I don't like how she gives a pedestal to certain crackpots to tell their views, but compared to all that she's accomplished that seems pretty small to me, particularly given where she came from. I rank her as quite admirable.

There's Pewdie Pie who likes to offend people, but I don't think he can said to be corrupt. There are plenty of other creative Youtube content creators who may not have the wealth, but built their own businesses do to skill and innovation...although there are several others who just like to scam people.

I always liked Morgan Freeman too. He seems like a pretty bright guy.

I can think of plenty of celebrities who don't go the route of becoming abusing coke fiends. The abusive coke fiends stand out more though.

I could imagine either fame and fortune corrupting people, or the already corrupt being more skilled than the general population at achieving fame and fortune due to their greater willingness to be ruthless. I could also imagine it just being the case that the undesirable stand out in our minds more than the more boring, regular people doing to their jobs who don't stand out because of how little havoc they've wrought.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:19 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
I am starting to think 50% of Hollywood are pedos and rapists. That's not an exaggeration. I think a lot of this is going to come to light very soon.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,168,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshadow View Post
You look at the likes of Hollywood, big YouTubers, Politicians, Business execs and the like and one thing that seems quite rampant is how many of them end up being pedos/sexually assaulters/screwing over anyone without a second thought for personal gain/just horrible people in general.

Is it just inevitable for the good majority that that is what anyone who attains fame/fortune will end up being? It may not be everyone but there's a reason disproportionately people that get fame and fortune end up being all kinds of scum.
No. Many people just like to gossip and discuss things that are not normal. That doesn't make it normal.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:00 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
I don't know many famous people personally, but there are over 300,000,000 people in the U.S., and it's a comparatively small numbers in the scandalous stories.

Keep in mind that it's the bad ones who make the headlines. In comparison, Meryl Streep has been famous for decades, and up until now, the only time she was in the news was when she spoke out about pesticides in fruit.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:35 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Hmmm..Pretty sure you can have fame and be poor ..Or be of fortune and have no fame.
I sincerely believe power corrupts absolutely.
And in today's society money buys power..
Is it possible to have $, and fame and be under the radar.. sure! It's also possible to lie to the public and be glorified for it...

Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,395,093 times
I have a friend from a rich and famous family and hes a good guy ....his family give lots of money away and are active in charity and stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology