Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

What prompts people to post this in response to (usually) a Facebook post, but also to online news articles? It seems to me if you want to "think" and "pray," you can do that without posting it for public consumption; my assumption would be that the victim of whatever tragedy is being recounted in the story isn't reading Facebook posts. Which brings me to part two: why are others attacked for asking perfectly intelligent, pertinent, and logical questions about the incident INSTEAD of just posting "thoughts and prayers" like everyone else?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-19-2020 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 12:49 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What prompts people to post this in response to (usually) a Facebook post, but also to online news articles? It seems to me if you want to "think" and "pray," you can do that without posting it for public consumption; my assumption would be that the victim of whatever tragedy is being recounted in the story isn't reading Facebook posts. Which brings me to part two: why are others attacked for asking perfectly intelligent, pertinent, and logical questions about the incident INSTEAD of just posting "thoughts and prayers" like everyone else?
People I know post "thoughts and prayers" because some believe that the action of praying and telling that person you are praying for them is required. Intercessory prayer, or praying on behalf of others, is like going into (metaphorical) battle for that person. It requires action.

As for part two, what makes your questions more relevant than someone else's "thoughts and prayers"?

Old 11-03-2017, 01:02 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,046,586 times
I hate that phrase as it's so overdone and I consider it almost without real feeling behind it.

No one ever says "prayers and thoughts".

I try to think of a more personal way to convey my condolences.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I don't hate the phrase, but never say it as I am not a prayer but I do send good thoughts to those in need. I'm not a hypocrite.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote: As for part two, what makes your questions more relevant than someone else's "thoughts and prayers"?

I never implied that "thoughts and prayers" WEREN'T relevant; I merely pointed out that the questions probing into the situation were (also) relevant.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:35 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,785,882 times
I always find it interesting that on a news story you'll find people fighting tooth and nail in the comments section. But then if there's an auto accident or some other tragedy, people will comment, "thoughts and prayers!" Why not be nicer to one another on any given day, then, if you're going to offer thoughts and prayers during times of strife and misery? It seems very odd to me that people are so comfortable figuratively ripping head off one another... and then once they've lost their heads, it becomes a flood of, "So sorry for the family. Thoughts and prayers!"

It's probably more a lack of creativity than anything, don't you think? If one person posts a phrase, there are bound to be a hundred more who just repeat it.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Personally, I find the long list of "thoughts and prayers" hackneyed and almost comical. Sheep, much? And to divert from it by actually questioning what happened will usher in heaps of abuse; you're accused of being "insensitive" and even "disrespectful," which leaves me shaking my head. Just try asking a question, and you'll see fighting on the "thoughts and prayers" threads, too!

Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,818 times
People who only post "Thoughts and prayers" want their opinion on the topic heard, even if it's just "thoughts and prayers." Humans have a need to be heard. This is also why some people will just post, "I agree" even though this doesn't add to the discussion. But like I said, people just want to be heard: "I want to tell everyone that I agree with you."

Quote:
why are others attacked for asking perfectly intelligent, pertinent, and logical questions about the incident INSTEAD of just posting "thoughts and prayers" like everyone else?
Some comment sections have a bandwagon mentality. If 9 out of 10 people post "Thoughts and prayers" while you post a logical question, you are the outlier, and no one likes that either.

But it also depends on what you're posting too! Could it be inflammatory, offensive, emotionally insensitive?

Old 11-03-2017, 02:06 PM

If people want to be heard, why don't they say something original? Just repeating what 75 people before you have posted is hardly making a statement or furthering the conversation. If they just want to be one f the crowd (herd mentality) or to be counted as "a feeling person," I guess that works.

The comment can be as innocuous as "I wonder what happened." People will leap at you with "now is not the time" and "the family needs your support." It never fails!

Last edited by otterhere; 11-03-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 03:09 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

The comment can be as innocuous as "I wonder what happened."

Why do you feel the need to "wonder what happened" out loud for everyone to see? Why not ask privately "what happened"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology