Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:44 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,329,277 times

Advertisements

I'm a happy positive person,I always think it's better to hope than to despair.But gosh life has been hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:25 PM

4,177 posts, read 4,420,938 times
Had a funny conversation about this 'adage' a few weeks ago in line at the bank. I hate binary type questions like this so If you want to cause consternation on the person asking, just say, "I see a 12 ounce glass with 6 ounces of liquid in it, whether it's positive or negative depends on what the liquid is.."

The ultimate thread about negative vs. positive

The all-important "positive attitude" and expectations

Old 11-06-2017, 09:09 PM

1,047 posts, read 721,153 times
Default hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I go back and forth over my long life and I come up with more positives than negatives. And yes I live for the last 50 yrs near the ocean and that is good and I get good negative ions, but regardless it's what I've done and how I've come out of tough situations etc. Tough situations are lessons and we hopefully are learning. I don't find the smart quirky comments amusing...but so many don't have much to offer otherwise.
We all (and some worse) do have horrible memories to deal with. It all walks heavier with us on different days. All is fluid. As lame as it sounds I would be, honestly, quite grateful you still live where you do. And take time to walk out to the ocean more and realize how small we are and big it is. XO

Old 11-06-2017, 09:43 PM

12,692 posts, read 8,924,720 times
I believe the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Seriously though I really hate that "make lemonade" saying. Because it trivializes the reality of what's going on. To make lemonade you also need water, sugar, and usually ice. Along with a pitcher, something to stir with, something to measure with. If you have lemons, then you can make lemon juice, provided you can open and squeeze the lemon.

Essentially when someone says "make lemonade" they are usually saying it to someone who is in no position to do so. So it's not only trite, but downright insulting to the recipient. Much better to provide something they can use in the existing reality, even useful advice is better than "make lemonade."

Old 11-07-2017, 01:03 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,795,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So many go thru life and see the glass as half empty vs half full.

Do you make lemonade out of the lemons throw your way?

I see some really negative usernames around here and those words sink in so much.

Why reinforce the negative and work on reinforcing the positive.

Stop hating, if you strongly don't like something, say I have a strong dislike etc.

And if something or someone upsets you, don't react, sleep on it and so often the morning brings a "forget it" thinking. Does for me. Often better to let it go.

More psychology to chew on.
I'm at my best when I concern myself with my own glass and not how somebody else looks at theirs.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,114,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It depends. If I'm filling up a glass, when I reach the halfway mark the glass is half full. As I drink it down, when I reach the halfway mark, the glass is half empty. It really depends on the starting point.
^^this^^
If you are about to sit down to a diner made mostly of 2 buck chuck, if last month you were eating bologna you will view the glass as half full, if last month you were eating steak you will view the the glass as half empty.

Many people in my age group(gen X) entered adult life during a great time, the best economy in US history(across the board), thanks to grunge fashion you could look homeless and still have a hot girlfriend/boyfriend(depending on what floated your boat) and being a starving artist, poetic soul, dark and brooding was viewed as sexy, jobs were so easy to find even the laziest people I knew could keep a regular paycheck(even if they did a lot of job hoping to get it). or even non lazy people did not have to suffer at a job they did not like because there was always someplace else hiring. Basically many in my generation were doing better at 25 than our parents were at 35.
Many of us noticed a sharp change by our 30's - 40's where the job market went to crap, women became materialistic and life in general became more difficult than it had been just the decade before.
Housing and fuel costs skyrocketed, the banks got greedy.
And we because the first gen to not do better than our parents(despite the huge head start).

So for many in my age group view the glass as half empty because we had a full glass in the 90's - early 2000's.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:08 AM

23,159 posts, read 26,116,327 times
I think of myself as a cynical optimist. Where's the line on the glass for that?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:34 AM

7,583 posts, read 4,135,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I absolutely am a glass half empty person and I always have been and I don't see that it is a bad thing at all.
When I look at something, say going somewhere, I always think of and prepare for anything the could go wrong.
Same with my kids I always pointed out any down sides to things they want to or were doing.
That's interesting. I am the same way but I see myself as half full.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:38 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,021,007 times
Was half full but now half empty.

Nothing is sacred anymore and the violation of someone's personal borders is the new norm today.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 AM

10,862 posts, read 7,286,050 times
I call myself a cynical Pollyanna. I really believe things will work out well, but I'm not surprised when they don't.

Years ago, I did an online test for optimist/pessimist. I was 52% optimist, 48% pessimist.
The people I carpooled with thought I was more pessimistic than than, and the people I worked with thought I was more optimistic.
I guess we present ourselves differently in various situations.

The glass contains approximately 4 ounces of fluid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology