Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 06:57 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times

Advertisements

I see many people -- particularly new parents -- post a barrage of pictures on Facebook of themselves, their kids, etc. on a weekly basis. You see everyone smiling in the pics as if they don't have a care in the world.

I have always wondered: Do you think these people are really as happy as they seem? Or are they not, and are instead fishing for "likes" to validate and make them feel better about the life they've chosen?

I would think that the happier ones don't feel a need to post endless pictures of their kids, the foods they eat, etc. They are content and don't need anyone's approval.

Could it also be that the ones who post incessantly feel more isolated?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 07:03 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times
I read recently that yes some people truly are as happy as they seem on facebook, and that these people really do have their lives together as it appears online.. It can also be a defense mechanism for yourself to think everyone is just fake on facebook and only seeking validation when that is certainty not true in every case.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:06 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,573,689 times
If you are truly happy, you don't need to let others know. Instead, people who are happy should try to take small step to assist those who are suffering.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:16 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,773,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
I read recently that yes some people truly are as happy as they seem on facebook, and that these people really do have their lives together as it appears online..
Interesting. I've read the exact opposite.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 AM

2,026 posts, read 333,924 times
It could really go either way. You never can truly know what's hidden behind a face.

Some people just post every little thing on social media. That's their choice, but does it necessarily mean they're seeking approval? Possibly. Maybe more so teenagers than adults.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Interesting. I've read the exact opposite.
So in other words, nobody really knows. I suspect the answer is somewhere in between the two extremes: some people are as happy as they appear on FB, and some are not.

I know that I have a carefully curated FB persona. I let my FB friends see only those aspects of me that I want them to see.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:45 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
It's oftentimes airbrushed.

A girl I know was recently arrested for felony methamphetamine charges. You'd never see that on her Facebook.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
So in other words, nobody really knows. I suspect the answer is somewhere in between the two extremes: some people are as happy as they appear on FB, and some are not.

I know that I have a carefully curated FB persona. I let my FB friends see only those aspects of me that I want them to see.

That's kind of my attitude regarding FB, I guess.

It's not like I'm a liar, but all of FB doesn't need to know my kids' struggles. Nor do they need to know if my husband and I have an argument, or if I'm not getting along with a sibling at the moment, etc.

I don't air dirty laundry on a media site than literally be shared around the world. It's not smart.

If I have something personal that I really want to vent about, I'll drop an email with my bestie.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:42 AM

815 posts, read 708,120 times
I vote no on this question. No one can be happy all the time. You can't have happiness without sadness, excitement without boredom, etc. Everyone, no matter how good your life is, experiences sadness, depression, boredom, dissatisfaction and a host of other negative emotions on a routine basis. It's a part of life. The problem with Facebook is that most people only post about the happy moments while keeping the negative moments hidden. This leads to a very skewed view of what that person's life is like.

I don't think everyone who posts on Facebook is intending to make their lives seem better than what it is. You really shouldn't be posted about your deepest, darkest secrets on Facebook, after all. I also think some people really don't realize that they're posting too much, or don't really think people are paying that much attention to them. I can see how some might just want to post to whoever will listen and just assume the people who aren't interested will unfollow.

Of course, there are the people that do actively try to make people jealous with their posts, and the other innocent Facebook offenders are often lumped in with them.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:43 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
If you know something about Asians they're big-time face-savers. When angry, they smile. When really, really angry, they smile even more. I had to deal with this madness on a few trips to Asia, particularly Thailand, deemed Land of Smiles. So I view Facebook as very Asian.

Steeped in Eastern Philosophy, I know all too well, that you can't love someone without simultaneously hating that person, as dependency on another person breeds hatred.

Being mischievous, when tired of all the fakeness, I like to roil the waters, sometimes, and do my best to wipe a few smiles off my Facebook friends, or challenge them. And, then, hoping they'll put me on Do Not Follow or erase me from their Friend's List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology