Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 03:06 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My staunchly Republican aunt had at the bottom of her obit: If you ever loved me, you will not vote for Hillary Clinton."

I thought it was crass, and rather sad, that politics, and not family, was the only thing she cared about at the end of her life.
And I find it crass and sad that you think politics was the only thing she cared about. It was likely an election year and she wanted to be heard since she knew she wouldn't be able to vote.

Your aunt was a very wise lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 03:10 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,341,315 times
I once heard (secondhand) of a proposed obituary for a major newspaper in which the deceased's next of kin wrote an obit that included one paragraph that talked about the life of the deceased, one paragraph that listed survivors, and a four-paragraph rant against abortion that included the fact that the deceased was a "Right to Lifer" and begged everyone who read the obit to campaign against abortion in memory of the deceased. I heard that the next-of-kin was absolutely furious at the severe editing that took place before publication; all but the two non-controversial paragraphs had been deleted. (This was before the time that people had to pay for obituaries in that particular newspaper.)

Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 PM

35,008 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I understand what you're saying; perhaps some write the type of obit you referred to:
The angels rejoiced as she slipped silently and gloriously into the arms of her waiting Jesus, Savior of her soul as a comfort to the bereaved. And you wrote 'nice' . . and I agree it was nice.

And maybe some people are grieving so deeply they can't think straight when drafting an obit.

I've yet to see one about a person that everyone hated. . .would it say something like: The family is rejoicing that Uncle Jerk has finally left this world?

Also, on another topic of those who've passed, and maybe this wasn't factual, but someone wrote a long time ago about seeing a tombstone that read, "I told you I was sick!"

As far as my obit . . have no idea.
My obit will say lots of things but nothing about Jesus. My funeral will be within 48 hours and many of the prayers in foreign languages.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:01 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,373,369 times
When my sister-in-law died, her brother wrote an effusive obit, mostly cribbed from over-the-top listings in her local paper in Texas. So I'd guess that a lot of people do the same, copy bits and pieces they like from other obits.

my obit:

life is fleeting
time is short
sheep are bleating
and pigs snort.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:01 AM

346 posts, read 358,271 times
This gentleman was a friend of my dad's, who never lacked of interesting stories.
Burt Todd, 81, Entrepreneur Who Dreamed Big, Is Dead - The New York Times

Old 11-28-2017, 06:16 AM

Default Obituary About Man Who Was Definitely Not Good

See Texas man’s family writes savage obituary on his passing, refuses to hold funeral. An over-the-top obit but in a different way.

Excerpt:
Quote:
“Leslie Ray ‘Popeye’ Charping was born in Galveston on November 20, 1942 and passed away January 30, 2017, which was 29 years longer than expected and much longer than he deserved. Leslie battled with cancer in his latter years and lost his battle, ultimately due to being the horses ass he was known for. He leaves behind 2 relieved children; a son Leslie Roy Charping and daughter, Shiela Smith along with six grandchildren and countless other victims including an ex wife, relatives, friends, neighbors, doctors, nurses and random strangers.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:35 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
politics was the only thing she cared about. It was likely an election year and she wanted to be heard since she knew she wouldn't be able to vote.
You are obviously just like her.

She also couldn't carry on a decent conversation without bringing politics into it. I'll be ignoring you from now on.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:24 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,820 times
I read an obit in the last year for a 4 year old. I cried and cried.
He died of cancer.

It said he spent the last few days playing and cuddling with his parents and siblings, etc. What a way to go. Good memories for all.

Everyone was requested to dress as their favorite super hero for his funeral.

Really touched me. I don't know his family, never met them, probably never will but I will never forget them now.

I still think about this when I'm having a first world problem.

My issues are peanuts compared to going through something like this.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:16 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
I don't want an obit. They're all full of fluff and nonsense. Many people write them and turn the dead person into a saint who was dripping in angels. Oh please!

Old 11-28-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I don't want an obit. They're all full of fluff and nonsense. Many people write them and turn the dead person into a saint who was dripping in angels. Oh please!
Charles Manson's obit didn't do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology