Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times

Advertisements

I'm male but will give my opinion anyway, my wife was a Scientist and preferred being called smart at work.

From my experience as a male, more women seem to prefer being called beautiful than smart....you will get a much bigger smile saying they are beautiful (note: if they like you that is) than you will calling them brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 07:13 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
I guess it depends on the woman. I would prefer smart, in the proper context. If you have ever had a guy you respect only complement you on your looks and completely ignore anything else, it isn't a great feeling. And it seems a little sexist.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:17 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What do women like better? To be called beautiful or smart?

The reason I ask this question is that I constantly see a woman trying to make another woman feel better and seems like everytime one tell the other one: “You are so beautiful”
As if that’s the best thing anybody could say to a woman
I don't know about all women - but usually 'smart' is much longer-lasting than 'beautiful'.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
I'd rather be called beautiful because I know I'm smart. I'm not as secure about my looks.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I'd rather that it be genuine, regardless of what one is complimenting. How and why you do it, matters so much more than what you choose to say.

If I am with my lover and he praises my body with eyes or words, I know I am pleasing to him and I am happy. When he listens to me and tells me he thinks I'm very wise, then I am also happy. When I'm in a room talking to a mix of old friends and new acquaintances, and I make a witty comment and a man I've only met that night, throws his head back, laughs and applauds, this compliments my humor, and I am happy.

In all cases, these things were genuine.

If I mean more, then I say more. My former girlfriend (still a dear friend to me) is the most beautiful woman I have ever known. But it's not merely her body, her dark flame red hair or pale skin or the shape of her mouth or the hue of her bright blue eyes. It's the razor sharp intellect that challenges you through those eyes, her spirit like honey with a sharp thread of cinnamon or a warm fire that will spark up with no warning and burn off your eyebrows. Her brilliant mind, her bright soul, her loving heart. SHE, everything she is, is beautiful. And I have told her this, because I want her to know.

Now if someone is making me a compliment because they believe it will get them something, I will sense it fairly easily. No matter if a partner who hopes to distract me from some upset I have with them, or a stranger who believes maybe I will smile and chat and give him my phone number or something, the worst kind of compliment is a false one, or one rooted in ulterior motives.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
When I was young I wanted to be thought of as beautiful. So I put a lot of energy into my outward appearance.

Now I’m an old lady and wish I’d invested more on the inside. I’m trying to catch up because I know and envy alot of accomplished seniors.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:56 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Depends on what, where, who and when, context makes a difference.

I want to add that none of us can speak for all women. Is there a special reason you are asking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It not only depends on the woman, of course - but also her mood - and perhaps her perception of the motivation of why it's being said.
Ditto.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:14 PM

11,058 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Beautiful. Virtually 100% of the time.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:57 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What do women like better? To be called beautiful or smart?

The reason I ask this question is that I constantly see a woman trying to make another woman feel better and seems like everytime one tell the other one: “You are so beautiful”
As if that’s the best thing anybody could say to a woman
Try calling them "beautifart" and get back to us on the results!

Old 12-04-2017, 06:56 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
I'm in the both camp. Looks fade, while wisdom increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology