Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have wondered what this +1 means in a response. Some kind of passive/aggressive comment. ummmm
No it's not.

+1 just means "me too."

The hair triggers aren't all on one "side" here, sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 11:32 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I used to be like this. Until one day, several years ago, a very sweet and kind gentleman kind of indirectly, but kindly put me in my place. Not in a mean way at all. But it made me realize I was being ill-mannered. It wasn't really my intention to be rude, or hurt any feelings, but I came to realize that's exactly what I was doing.
People just don't realize what they say and how they say it. I can understand that with children, but adults.

Ill manners yes.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
What bothers me a lot is when one talks about what they really like, say food wise, and some one chimes in and says YUCK, how can anyone eat that, etc etc etc.

I hear this so much and I'd love to shut them up and say...to each his own tastes, which is truth.

I may not like what some people eat and that's "to each his own choices"...
Then just say that. They aren't likely to have a quick come back....after all it is true....everyone has the right to their own taste.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:10 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,882 times
Quote:
What about IF you don't ask for their opinion. Just casually mentioning about this or that. Yuck is something a little kid would say.
Right?! YUCKY is how I, as a grown up, say it!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:12 PM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
I honestly don't think anyone is trying to be rude if they make a comment on a particular yucky (to them) food, especially when it's really not meant to offend or hurt someone's feelings, lol. When I was little, I knew a family with a bunch of kids who would try to bribe me to eat a pickle, even offering money just to watch the performance - face skewed, hands grasping at the throat, falling to the floor and fake passing out, etc. Now, as an adult, it seems to be an aversion to mayonnaise that will trigger the same reaction. I try to curb it and guess I'm lucky to have friends who have a sense of humor, get it and play along, even telling servers, "Now don't you dare give this girl mayonnaise, she could die!"

Old 12-11-2017, 12:22 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
It's an emotional response. Food brings up emotions.

I think a response like "YUCK" is just an immediate reaction instead of detailed opinion.
It is effective; you know just how that person feels about the food. Perhaps we're being spared a detailed account of how their body reacts to that food. I'd rather see "YUCK" than hear about digestive upsets.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Right?! YUCKY is how I, as a grown up, say it!
Yeah, that's really grown up. I guess I'm in the minority here on how I express myself or don't.

I like about everything and my dad really liked head cheese and my mom bought it for him and it looked terrible, but I never said a word...at his end of life I even bought it for him and MAYBE some day I'll try it and see why he liked it so much...maybe not.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:39 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Who cares? If someone says that to me, I just shrug and say "more for me!" There are much better things to get your knickers in a twist over.
Amen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
No it's not.

+1 just means "me too."

The hair triggers aren't all on one "side" here, sheesh.
+1.

And "+1" is passive aggressive???

Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that's really grown up. I guess I'm in the minority here on how I express myself or don't.

I like about everything and my dad really liked head cheese and my mom bought it for him and it looked terrible, but I never said a word...at his end of life I even bought it for him and MAYBE some day I'll try it and see why he liked it so much...maybe not.
Omg, take it as it is and head cheese? I have no idea what that is and would never pretend to know or like it to pacify anyone, so no reward to you...

Old 12-11-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Amen.

+1.

And "+1" is passive aggressive???
No, it's not. It just means they agree with what they +1 about. Jeez how old are you? It's common forum jargon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology