Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are HS bullies (ages 14-18) sociopaths by then?
Yes 36 58.06%
No 26 41.94%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 07:26 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
They are not sociopaths, just ill mannered louts who were not parented.
I agree.

These are two unrelated behaviors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 09:53 AM

623 posts, read 311,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Exactly.

Now if you have a bully begin to maim or kill small animals, then there's an issue...
No question about it, harming small animals is verboten, but human beings? Who gives a ****?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
I often think of bullying as a sign of other things, not sociopathy.

When I think of a sociopath, I think of someone that isn't actually a bully. A bully bullies for emotional validation of one sort or another.

A sociopath doesn't need validation. What can his victim provide him?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
No question about it, harming small animals is verboten, but human beings? Who gives a ****?
The behaviors are not the same.

If a sociopath lights a classmate on fire the same way he might light a cat on fire, they'll lock him up and throw away the key.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:17 AM

623 posts, read 311,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

If a sociopath lights a classmate on fire the same way he might light a cat on fire, they'll lock him up and throw away the key.
And if he beat a cat the same way he beat a classmate?

Old 12-15-2017, 01:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Again, nobody under 18 is going to receive an antisocial personality disorder (i.e. "sociopathy") diagnosis.

Personality disorders aren't diagnosed in those who aren't developmentally adults.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:25 PM

650 posts, read 450,143 times
This is pure opinion, but I think it really depends on the kind of bullying. The worse and more constant the bullying is the higher chances of the person being a sociopath. The guy that calls a guy childish names sometimes for cheating on his girlfriend is likely not a sociopath, but the one that constantly tortures a guy and goes out of his way to make his victim's life as miserable as possible is likely a sociopath.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

If he can avoid prosecution he may reach adulthood.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptunepenguins View Post
This is pure opinion, but I think it really depends on the kind of bullying. The worse and more constant the bullying is the higher chances of the person being a sociopath. The guy that calls a guy childish names sometimes for cheating on his girlfriend is likely not a sociopath, but the one that constantly tortures a guy and goes out of his way to make his victim's life as miserable as possible is likely a sociopath.
These are two separate and unrelated things.

The only link between them that I am aware of is that a sociopath may have likely been victimized by a bully.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:47 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,734 times
I knew one guy that I know for sure was a sociopath growing up. As we got older into middle school then high school he really started to scare me because I felt like he was the type of person that could kill me "just because" or he could kill anyone. He was a white suburban kid who ended up fulfilling his destiny being a career criminal. He became a pretty serious drug dealer in my area and basically was the only white guy running with a bunch of hispanic gangs and having a business relationship with them around there. But long story short is that I could told you he was a sociopath before I even knew what that word meant. I met him when we were 5 years old and he was already doing stuff like torturing and killing small animals at that point. He definitely didn't have a great family life but I think he was just an evil person from birth. So yes if someone is a sociopath I think they are well before they get to HS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology