Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 02:23 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
...What if you secretly let them disappear and throw them away?
I have been doing that for the last 35 years with my husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 03:47 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
the author even seemed anal-retentive to me. Like how should comes home and puts her watch in a specific spot, empties out her entire pocket book, and everything goes into a specific spot. I could see it being beneficial, not having a lot and knowing where everything is, but I'm not there yet myself
How does one keep up with their watch and keys and so forth if they don't go in a specific spot????????????

Old 12-23-2017, 06:05 AM

678 posts, read 429,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
How does one keep up with their watch and keys and so forth if they don't go in a specific spot????????????
I don't wear a watch, keys stay in the car. So it's pretty simple for me. I forget the exact section of the book that she talks about emptying in her purse as the first thing she does right when gets home, but it seemed excessive with a lot of steps to me.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:48 AM

857 posts, read 959,396 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if hoarding is a mental health condition that gets diagnosed, but the parent my spouse grew up with has some mental health struggles and has a lot of storage units but has been close to homeless at times. My spouse will get rid of things, but it's quite a struggle to convince her, especially if it's gifts given to our kids from her sister. She feels she has already had to give away so much but we're constantly getting stuff (especially gifts for our kids from friends and family). I'd like our kids (and my wife) to feel that they have more than enough, enjoy the new gifts and want to give away the old less used things to those less fortunate. But often when I talk about giving things away, my wife says "well, we still use that" even though we might use it once a year for 30 minutes.

Any recommendations?
Hoarding is nature. Squirrels hoard. If you have the space, I don't see why not.

I actually think needing everything tidy is kind of a mental issue.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:27 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
I think there's "hoarding" and then there's HOARDING.

Is all the "stuff" impeding daily living? In other words, are you wending your way through rooms because of items piled halfway to the ceiling? Is a bathtub unusable because it's being used for storage? Is proper cleaning difficult? Does she keep items of use and those she attaches some sentimental meaning to or is it also trash – i.e., plastic bags, boxes, outdated newspapers and magazines, empty food cans?
Exactly. Many people have some extras on hand, such as food, household supplies, and clothes (against a rainy day, job loss, helping someone out, etc.) but when you can't function in daily life, that's capital-H Hoarding.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:21 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Hoarding is nature. Squirrels hoard. If you have the space, I don't see why not.

I actually think needing everything tidy is kind of a mental issue.
The operational definition of a mental disorder is that a behavior interferes with your quality of life and/or your ability to have positive and satisfying relationships with other people. Holding onto things is normal, hoarding to the extent that you can't get around in your house and you refuse to let things that have no value to you go is not. Hoarding is not "nature", and if you've ever been in the house of a real hoarder you'd understand that it's a psychological problem on the obsessive-compulsive spectrum - and yes, there is an entry for hoarding disorder with diagnostic criteria in DSM-5.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:27 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I've posted already but want to add

Do something about this before YOU are stuck with cleaning out, like I did at my mother's house. It's close to torture. In the end, I hired someone to take the rest out...

[/b]
Quote:
I'm not sure if hoarding is a mental health condition that gets diagnosed, but the parent my spouse grew up with has some mental health struggles and has a lot of storage units but has been close to homeless at times. My spouse will get rid of things, but it's quite a struggle to convince her, especially if it's gifts given to our kids from her sister. She feels she has already had to give away so much but we're constantly getting stuff (especially gifts for our kids from friends and family). I'd like our kids (and my wife) to feel that they have more than enough, enjoy the new gifts and want to give away the old less used things to those less fortunate. But often when I talk about giving things away, my wife says "well, we still use that" even though we might use it once a year for 30 minutes.

Any recommendations?

Old 12-23-2017, 11:00 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I'm so far from a hoarder and can let things go pretty easily. Even people that serve no positive places in my life.

Could be it all comes from how we were brought up. My parents were not hoarders and pretty much minimalists in the whole scheme of thinking and living and we had plenty growing up. Cleaning out parents house when we had to sell it was a job but fairly manageable. Some stories out there, good grief. Keeping stacks of papers, magazines, etc etc...hard to understand.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:36 AM

731 posts, read 678,780 times
True Obsessive Compulsive Disorder is the is the only one of the personality disorders that can be cured by medication such as Prozac. It also cures parrots that pluck out all their feathers as well as other behaviors in animals https://veterinarypracticenews.com/o...er-in-animals/

Old 12-23-2017, 11:42 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Someone mentioned keeping extras on hand and I'm all for that. I live in earthquake country and keep extra water on hand, canned foods, paper goods but to keep stacks of old newspapers, keeping clothes one does not wear for years, etc....totally not necessary. Some just can't LET GO. Of persons, places, things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology