Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 10:47 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times

Advertisements

Well I can understand the issue, but I feel that it's being taken too far in some cases, to the point where it's getting ridiculous.

For example, I was having a conversation with some friends, and they talked about where a school teacher got into trouble, cause he referred to a student as a "he", and the parents didn't like that so they wanted to take some sort of civil action. I cannot find that story, but they said they heard it on the news before. I just don't think that was right as calling someone a "he" is not sexist or discriminatory in my opinion.

And I went to a night club a while ago, and went to the bathroom and noticed how they were gender neutral bathrooms, and I felt totally uncomfortable and wronged, having to pee with all these intoxicated women watching me.

Now you could make the argument, why did I go to such a night club that has that, but it's not like there is a warning sign, of gender neutral bathrooms on the outside before you go in, and you have to find out the hard way.

So I understand the issue, but I feel it's getting out of hand, when it's imposed on others, such as choosing how people go to the bathroom or taking civil action against someone just cause they referred to someone as a "he" for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 11:57 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_XUTDzo78

Biology is not so black and white.
Ask a biologist, biology is binary.
Behavior is not biology.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:02 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,060,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As I understand this, people who feel they are really the oppiosite gender are terribly stressed. They long to express how they feel about themselves, but find many obstacles to doing so.

You know how you feel about your gender; now imagine if you were anatomically the opposite! How awful to be trapped in the wrong body.

I have always felt that I was female. Always. But what if I had been born in a man’s body? I can’t imagine the disconnect and stress I would experience, if I knew myself to be female, but lived in a man’s body.

Now, of course one can change one’s body to match one’s knowledge of oneself.

Just because you and I have not had this experience, does not mean the experience is not a real thing.
How awful to be mentally ill and enabled instead of treated.
They aren't special, they're terminally unique.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:52 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Maybe it hasn't and it's just me, but it seems that a lot of people are not happy with the genders lately, and you see a lot more people wanting to be 'gender neutral', or wanting to switch genders, or be acknowledged as the opposite ones, of what they are, for example.

It just seems that maybe about 10 years ago, a lot more people were happy with themselves, and who they are, and how they were born, but now so many more people, want to change and is dissatisfied with their genders now. But what was it that caused this to happen in recent years? Was there a particular event or someone that inspired a lot of people, not to be comfortable with the genders?

I mean usually when someone decides to change something about themselves, a lot of people usually do not follow in that person's foot steps. For example, when Michael Jackson decided he wanted to look white, you don't really see that causing a huge inspiration in society. Not a lot of people are wanting to change races, or be acknowledged as a different race other than they are. They were indifferent to Michael Jackson decision, and were happy with their races.

But now a lot of people are unhappy with the genders for some reason and I was just wondering, what has caused that, out of curiosity?
Because there's a group of people who insist the most healthy behavior for them is to get sex changes or cross-dress, (along with many psychologists who agree with them) and there are lots of other people who tell them they're delusional and insane.

So, when we have one group who says "This is necessary for my emotional health, to dress and behave this way!" and when you a large percentage of society who says "No! Don't do that!" that's going to result in lots of talk and disagreement and irritation and gather lots of attention.

Personally, I've never understood why someone born with male anatomy would prefer to get a sex change or dress in women's clothes rather than just label themselves an effeminate gay male...but maybe that just means I'm not transgender. Maybe it's something you have to have gender dysphoria to understand.

Old 03-27-2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
How awful to be mentally ill and enabled instead of treated.
They aren't special, they're terminally unique.
If this were my website, I might give you an infraction for making statements like that about transgender people on a psychology forum without backing it up with evidence Do you have any evidence of that...or is that just something you pulled out of thin air?

Old 03-27-2018, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Ask a biologist, biology is binary.
Behavior is not biology.
Which doesn't have anything to do with the topic...and you could have figured that out yourself.

There are two anatomical sexes, yes.

That's not what transgender people are disagreeing with though. What they think is that they feel like the opposite sex from their anatomical one.

Now, make an intelligent response in your next post, or don't respond, because I don't want to end up with forty pages of nonsense like what often happens when people like you get into discussions, where you think you're brilliant, despite having done zero research whatsoever

Old 03-27-2018, 06:32 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,360,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Agreed. And social media puts everything out there for those who live in the boonies. I think they were always there, just invisible to the majority of the country.
Yep. It's just come out of the shadows. You can find evidence of this throughout the world. Hejiras in India, two-spirit people in Native American culture, etc.

And frankly, I am one of the least girly women you will ever encounter. But I have only ever desired to identify as a woman. If someone wants to identify as another gender, why the heck not? Doesn't affect me one way or the other.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,554 times
OP, Obama legitimized homosexual marriage and promoted a view that 'anything goes' in society. When anything goes in a society, people stop caring about standards. That loss of standards trickle down to every area of society. Hollywood loves promoting homosexuality. Now, some liberals want to marry animals.

If you mention any of this as not right, the liberals will label you as a bigoted homophobe. I think the liberals have done a good job of brainwashing society on the gender issue. The liberals view is; if you have a penis you are a girl , if you have a vagina you are a boy. And they will prosecute you in court unless you agree.

People are fed a bad, chemical laden diet. The drinking water is polluted with all sort of meds and chemicals. They are bombarded with all sort of radio waves. Many Americans are drinking recycled human waste. The human waste is loaded with meds in the excrement. Do all these meds in the drinking water mess up their brains? GMO's...who knows?

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/6035/

If the country was composed of a big amount of these mentally ill, gender confused people it would not be good for national security. I have no idea if any of what I've outlined contributes to the cause, but it is not natural for people to be mentally ill gender confused homosexuals.

Sadly people never spoke up to tell the liberals you're mentally ill and we wont buy it. The conservatives went along to get along and it backfired on them.

Last edited by slackercruster; 03-27-2018 at 07:03 AM..

Old 03-27-2018, 06:55 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
For example, I was having a conversation with some friends, and they talked about where a school teacher got into trouble, cause he referred to a student as a "he", and the parents didn't like that so they wanted to take some sort of civil action. I cannot find that story, but they said they heard it on the news before. I just don't think that was right as calling someone a "he" is not sexist or discriminatory in my opinion.
That doesn't sound like a real news story then. Individual people get offended about anything, but that's not the basis of an actual lawsuit

Quote:
And I went to a night club a while ago, and went to the bathroom and noticed how they were gender neutral bathrooms, and I felt totally uncomfortable and wronged, having to pee with all these intoxicated women watching me.
Were there no stalls, or was everyone peeing out in the open?

We're in an interesting time when people are beginning to express themselves and don't feel limited by their genitalia or socialized gender roles. Personally, I don't "get it" all the time, but I don't have to. Live and let live.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:29 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times
The stalls were full of other people so as I guy, my option was to pee on a urinal with women watching me. Or I could wait for a stall but who knows how long that would have been, plus why should I have to go on a urinal with women watching me?

Is that the price I have to pay, because some other group of pro-gender neutral people think that men's rooms are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology