Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 PM

137 posts, read 134,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I see you are a new person to C-D, and I'm approaching my 2nd yr. My experiences have been negative with people here a lot of years longer than myself. If I feel if the comments are TOO ill mannered, I will report the attacker.

I enjoy the variety and even wander into Politics with my helmet on and having some fun in the games/trivia areas. Thanks and good to chat with you.
I'm so sorry that you haven't had the best experience jam. Don't let someone else's negativity and negative energy get you down. I always think that if someone results to bullying and personal attacks it says a heck of a lot more about them than it could ever say about you. You have every right to protect yourself from people like that by blocking them, ignoring them, or disengaging from the conversation. I've opted to just ignore that person. He's an anonymous person online who knows nothing about me. I've gotten helpful information here so I'm not going to let one bad apple spoil the bunch for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:54 PM

124 posts, read 99,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonpie504 View Post
I'm so sorry that you haven't had the best experience jam. Don't let someone else's negativity and negative energy get you down. I always think that if someone results to bullying and personal attacks it says a heck of a lot more about them than it could ever say about you. You have every right to protect yourself from people like that by blocking them, ignoring them, or disengaging from the conversation. I've opted to just ignore that person. He's an anonymous person online who knows nothing about me. I've gotten helpful information here so I'm not going to let one bad apple spoil the bunch for me.
Well said!!

Old 12-23-2017, 11:54 PM

1,047 posts, read 726,252 times
Have you been on youtube? Wow. There is where you will find truly evil mean people. Most must be teens. But then I know if I am responding to something pretty adult and cerebral it can't be a teen ? So why are they exceptionally vulgar there......
Here a few guys or even gals can be mean but to me it is a lot nicer overall than the other places like youtube or reddit.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:14 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
OP, I totally agree! It's part of my mindfulness practice, but I need to do better. I love the Buddhist concept of right speech: "say only what is true, to speak in ways that promote harmony among people, to use a tone of voice that is pleasing, kind, and gentle, and to speak mindfully in order that our speech is useful and purposeful." So of course this applies to online forum posting as well.
If you're saying only what is true AND you're speaking in ways that promote harmony among people, you're not going to be saying much of anything at all. Those two are often in direct conflict with one another; people tend to rally around/bond over myths. Personally I kind of like the guidance offered by that precept, although I often do not act in accordance with it, and I also would privilege truth over harmony with the hopes that a better, more stable harmony could eventually be achieved if truth is propagated for perhaps-unwanted consideration. Likely a fantasy, but....

Old 12-24-2017, 01:16 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
Have you been on youtube? Wow. There is where you will find truly evil mean people. Most must be teens. But then I know if I am responding to something pretty adult and cerebral it can't be a teen ? So why are they exceptionally vulgar there......
Here a few guys or even gals can be mean but to me it is a lot nicer overall than the other places like youtube or reddit.
Yeah, City-Data is far more civil than most commenting platforms frequented by the masses. The single most important factor in play seems to be the users' age

Old 12-24-2017, 09:03 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
If one takes on an activist role in a discussion forum and repeatedly promotes substances of dubious efficacy, one should expect some pushback.

People have the right to disagree and question your motives. I would even go so far as to say we have the responsibility to do that when it comes to matters of health and sufferers who may be credulous.

Old 12-24-2017, 09:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
If one takes on an activist role in a discussion forum and repeatedly promotes substances of dubious efficacy, one should expect some pushback.

People have the right to disagree and question your motives. I would even go so far as to say we have the responsibility to do that when it comes to matters of health and sufferers who may be credulous.
That is true; however, using tact when commenting about other posts is the key, plus not bullying, bashing, or being condescending (those types of negativity can be reported, and the Mods will decide if the offending poster should be banned from posting for a brief period of time, or banned permanently).

Old 12-24-2017, 10:12 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
That is true; however, using tact when commenting about other posts is the key, plus not bullying, bashing, or being condescending (those types of negativity can be reported, and the Mods will decide if the offending poster should be banned from posting for a brief period of time, or banned permanently).
That's interesting, your insistence -- one might almost say, controlling tendency -- on a certain way of behaving, combined with a veiled threat. Are you a moderator?

No need to answer. I know you're not.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:20 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The MAJORITY I've gotten to know in the under 2 yrs I'm here have been very helpful and kind.

But those thornie ones...good grief.
I've discovered that the thorny ones tend to be young; often--college kids or slightly older, who think they know everything, but don't, and aren't open to learning from others. They're too full of themselves. So let it roll off your back, and if some of them violate TOS with personal attacks or rudeness, report them.

Old 12-24-2017, 10:34 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_me View Post
I look at some youtubes and listen to music but NOT on it...nor am I on FB and other groups. Too old for all that noise. Maybe it's just that C-D is so huge and people from all over the place and many with other agendas than mine. I can disagree but don't tell people off so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology