Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 05:31 PM

994 posts, read 967,835 times

Advertisements

What made you make the change to turn your life into something better? What has kept you motivated to stay on track for that change? In my case I am asking on the subject of finances and self sufficiency. I just turned 29 a few months ago, currently unemployed for the last half year . I'm looking , holding out to find a job I genuinely would enjoy. I do not want to jump from job to job until I get a chance at what job I want. Most jobs I know I can get are warehouse which makes me miserable after working in warehouse for 3 years. Cant seem to stick it out . Closed up areas with no views to the outside world, along with the boring / dragging lifeless tasks .

I still live at home and really want to move out west to AZ. Maybe for just a year or 2 , just depends if its going to be what I have thought it to be . I absolutely love hiking and exploring new areas. The Desert climate of southern AZ is my ideal weather, going by research. I guess I just need some deep tips and advice to help me get going .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 06:33 PM

678 posts, read 429,435 times
I started looking into personal development and something surprising actually clicked for me. It shifted my mindset and had a big impact. Since it had a profound impact it made me even more interested in personal development and positive psychology, so I'm always working to find "untapped" potential within myself. Most of the stuff doesn't have an impact and it takes work going through a lot of material, but I definitely feel like I'm happier and better person because of it.

If you're looking for motivation and employment, maybe try a Tony Robbins book or podcast or if that doesn't click, move onto the next thing.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:57 PM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
What made you make the change to turn your life into something better? What has kept you motivated to stay on track for that change? In my case I am asking on the subject of finances and self sufficiency. I just turned 29 a few months ago, currently unemployed for the last half year . I'm looking , holding out to find a job I genuinely would enjoy. I do not want to jump from job to job until I get a chance at what job I want. Most jobs I know I can get are warehouse which makes me miserable after working in warehouse for 3 years. Cant seem to stick it out . Closed up areas with no views to the outside world, along with the boring / dragging lifeless tasks .

I still live at home and really want to move out west to AZ. Maybe for just a year or 2 , just depends if its going to be what I have thought it to be . I absolutely love hiking and exploring new areas. The Desert climate of southern AZ is my ideal weather, going by research. I guess I just need some deep tips and advice to help me get going .
I am 56 and retired now. The one thing that really changed my life career wise was this one thing(in a moment). I was in a job I hated and had a long line of failures in this area. Then one day I had enough, I was broke and didn't care, I was unhappy with work and quit. I gave up and surrendered, period. I was in a position to collect unemployment insurance for a year at about 28-29 years old. I remembered the area in my earlier years I enjoyed biology, science anything nature related, I also did well in school in this stuff. I went to the JC in my hometown and took a course in water and wastewater treatment, got licensed and loved it from day one until retirement.

Bottom line I followed my heart. I didn't care what the pay was or what the job was as long as I was happy! Don't always listen to other people either, nobody knows you better than you know yourself.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:31 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
What made you

I still live at home and really want to move out west to just need some deep tips and advice to help me get going .
If i was your dad id throw you the hell out.
I just retired. I left home when I was a teen and never went back, you do what you must if responsible.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:18 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
If i was your dad id throw you the hell out.
I just retired. I left home when I was a teen and never went back, you do what you must if responsible.
lol....I knew that was coming!

My advice to the OP...get in shape, study, take the ASVAB, go join the military, I think you still can make the age restriction cut off for certain branches. You are 29 years old dude. The "exploration" time of your life has expired. That's real talk! No psychology required!

Old 12-24-2017, 08:18 AM

994 posts, read 967,835 times
Its never too late to find something you enjoy. For some people I guess 29 is too old to learn something new, I should just give up right? I dont want kids, I dont want to get married. Im not the typical joe that just wants to go through the average phases of life just like everyone else . I still feel quite a bit younger than 29 .

I've been wanting to move out west for a few years now. Its not something I just decided to do because I was bored .

Old 12-24-2017, 10:26 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
I haven't turned my life around per se but I have really had to change my course. The reason was my grandma died and my mom stole my house my grandma left me. I was living my life thinking I'd have a paid off home in a great town. She left it to me bc I left my job to care for her. The house basically covered the salary I'd be losing. My salary after she passed would have to cover maintenance, taxes, savings and regular personal expenses. Now, my salary has to cover living expenses in a high cola.
To answer the question, I was forced to change bc I had to accept that I'm alone in this world and no one is looking out for me ever again. In some ways, it's empowering but in others, it's scary but so far, so good.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:08 PM

58 posts, read 41,474 times
I had a heart attack. Certainly made me start thinking about everything in a new way.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:40 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
I had a volatile childhood. What I thought to be normal wasn't so normal after all. To make a long story short: I got caught with some pipe bombs and bomb making materials. I was going out to a very desolate part of Central California to blow an old rusty vehicle into bits, and with some spectators since it was 4th of July 2001. I never made it. I got arrested, spent the weekend in my own cell, and eventually got out. As time went by, I found out they didn't plan on charging me with anything. I was only fined. Had it been after 9/11, things would have been so, so much different. I decided to fall off the radar for a few years, do lots of self-reflecting, and decided to change my ways. Dunno how I got off with only a slap on the wrist and a hefty fine, but hey, I am grateful for it.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:

If you know where you want to be, plan it out and go there. Might take a year or two of saving.

I think I knew I was born to be out West back in sophomore year of college, when we hiked Grand Canyon. I was 20 and hard as old leather from not owning a car and walking miles/day to and from classes. I lived up in the hills so there were big staircases, too. I had no problem, other softer kids did. We all made it though. Deepest hole I'd seen to that point was probably a building foundation. Once you see big vistas like that, or the radically different but still impossibly beautiful basins and ranges of Nevada, and all the little isolated towns frozen in time (Pioche, Ely, Gerlach, others), it gets in your head. Or, you never want to see that again.

So, I was well-prepared and made it happen. Never looked back, and I don't "plan" to live east of St. Louis ever again. Life messes with statements and plans, though, so never say never.

I can't think of anywhere different from coastal SC than AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology