Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:24 AM

10,999 posts, read 6,523,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
People for the most part are social beings. Some may be awkward but I think very few want absolutely nothing to do with others at least not all the time. Now that is not saying that people don't want a break from others and society but very few will make the choice to do it long term. So yes that makes it abnormal.

I find the Japanese culture of the lost generation, Hikikomori, fascinating.
Hikikomori: Inside Japan

Then again if there parents didn't leave food for them they wouldn't be able to survive....but still a strange situation.
Wow, that is a weird situation. Thanks for sharing. I wish it had gone into more detail about how the parents are obviously enabling this to go on. They can't be happy with this!

And quite telling that in So. Korea it is due to internet addiction. Something to ponder....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 01:37 PM

34,809 posts, read 30,852,651 times
There are many days where I would be perfectly fine if I had very limited to no contact with anyone. Most of the time, I'm perfectly fine with an internet connection and some talk radio.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,095,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Most of the time, I'm perfectly fine with an internet connection and some talk radio.
Talk radio is like Chinese water torture to me. If I'm in a 'go away world, I'm writing' mindset or trying to be, the last thing I want to hear is news and politics, or people chattering away about how important it isn't.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Self-described hermits who claim to prefer no social contact, but spend significant time frequenting online discussion forums, gaming online, etc. are being disingenuous. Having online discussions and interactions is social contact. Those who only choose to interact with others online, and have no desire for in-person contact with others typically feel EXTREMELY isolated if their online connection to the outside world is for whatever reason compromised or interrupted. That isn't being a hermit/eschewing social contact. It's just preferring to be 100% in control of the contact and have no actual social responsibility/accountability or true reciprocal connection to those with whom you socialize. It's socializing-lite. It speaks more to wanting everything on your terms than it does to actually preferring true isolation.

You're not a hermit if you are a loner who camps out online debating things with people all day to fulfill a need for human interaction on your own terms. You might be if you choose to go live in seclusion off-grid in the Alaskan bush or primitive rainforest or in a yurt in the Mongolian steppe and forego communicative access beyond emergency, or something like that.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 7,276,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Do you think that being a Hermit is abnormal?

Of course it's abnormal. That's why there is a specific word for it.

If you want to be "reclusive" or to shun visitors that's your business. But being a true hermit, where you don't even come into contact with other people, is quite rare.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:25 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,107,889 times
I am a reclusive person, I do have family living with me but have minimal interaction with them. I have my own room and TV which I spend every evening in. When I get up in the morning I come downstairs and I am at my computer mostly reading on forums all day. I very occasionally go out to shop, usually my daughter in law shops for me.
I go out for medical apts. and that is all. I have not had actual friends since High school. and I did not keep up with them either.
Two of my grown children live with me, the other three barely contact me ever.
This is the way I live, I have no desire for other contact.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I am a reclusive person, I do have family living with me but have minimal interaction with them. I have my own room and TV which I spend every evening in. When I get up in the morning I come downstairs and I am at my computer mostly reading on forums all day. I very occasionally go out to shop, usually my daughter in law shops for me.
I go out for medical apts. and that is all. I have not had actual friends since High school. and I did not keep up with them either.
Two of my grown children live with me, the other three barely contact me ever.
This is the way I live, I have no desire for other contact.
You're married, though, right?

Old 01-03-2018, 04:09 PM

3,030 posts, read 1,933,751 times
Abnormal? Yeah... that being said by a hermit.

If you're smart/lucky enough to draw good people to you, who enhance your life in some way, well, bloody well good for you. I've yet to figure that part out at age 40. Does it have something to do with moving around so much as a kid, never establishing roots & continuing the same as an adult? Probably.

I haven't known many good people, including family. Whatever... it's abnormal, but not unusual, especially today in our social media world of distance being the norm. I consider it luck of the draw. I do my best... if it doesn't work out, I now move on, rather than subject myself to daily abuse. Why is it this way? I've no FFFFFF'n idea. I wish it weren't... it is.

I'm not jealous or envious of others. I also don't require pity. I still try.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 PM

928 posts, read 958,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Agreed people can be a lot of work and I also like a break once in awhile.

I remember one time I had to go into town to do some shopping. After 2 stores I called my husband and told him "I'm on my way home. I'm not fit to be around people today" I might have called them idiots

There are times when my husband doesn't leave out property for 10 days or so and he likes to socialize. Then again he has me to talk to all day.
Now that is funny! " I'm not fit to be around people today" I never heard that before, I might need to use those same words again myself. Thank you.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:08 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i like being a hermit, if I could make a living. I would live in a hermit house on a mountain in the woods some where
Anyone who has nearly 7,000 posts on an internet discussion board isn't a hermit.

You might not like to do face to face interactions, but you do enjoy human contact/discussions very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology