Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 05:07 AM

506 posts, read 510,819 times

Advertisements

When a man is angry to that point, and another man tells him to calm down, trying to reassure him, usually that man does calm down, because he knows the other man cares and doesn't want that angry man to get in trouble or have him die from a stroke or heart attack due to the increased blood pressure.

Yet...

When a man tells an angry woman to calm down, she just gets angrier.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 05:13 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,924,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
When a man is angry to that point, and another man tells him to calm down, trying to reassure him, usually that man does calm down

Quote:
, because he knows the other man cares and doesn't want that angry man to get in trouble or have him die from a stroke or heart attack due to the increased blood pressure.

Quote:
Yet...

Why?

I've told men to calm down - and they've gotten angrier
I've told women to calm down - and they have

I don't have enough information to say whether men or women are more likely to get angry when told to calm down

I'm 99% sure you don't either.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:31 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
When a man is angry to that point, and another man tells him to calm down, trying to reassure him, usually that man does calm down, because he knows the other man cares and doesn't want that angry man to get in trouble or have him die from a stroke or heart attack due to the increased blood pressure.

Yet...

Why?

So what, you told a man to calm down when his beer got knocked over and it was sweet? You told the woman to calm down after she found out you cheated on her and she lost it?

Of course those are examples but that is how far out your statement seems.

Your statement is too generalized as there are too many men/women/and situations.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:16 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Of course it's an over generalization, but the reason is; Usually, the woman keeps things in until things boil over. By the time she's yelling at the man, she's very much telling him to HEAR HER!

The reaction she would've LIKED to have received would've been something more like "Holy moly, my lady is upset! How did I miss this? I should listen to her, and see what the problem is."

When you tell her to calm down, you're dismissing and making light of her anger.

Again...that's a generalization. Your mileage may differ.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:19 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,031,394 times
Quote:
When a man is angry to that point, and another man tells him to calm down, trying to reassure him, usually that man does calm down, because he knows the other man cares and doesn't want that angry man to get in trouble or have him die from a stroke or heart attack due to the increased blood pressure.?
Your experience in this can't be universal. I say that because back when I was a clerk at a police department, I was filing their current training materials, and one of the sheets covered how to deal with a person who is acting upset or violent. I remember that it said specifically, "Never say, 'Calm down.' This will often upset him even more, and escalate the situation." (Yes it said "him.")

Quote:
Yet...

Why?
Could it possibly be because he was the one who made her angry in the first place, and telling her to calm down feels to her as though, rather than owning up to whatever he did, he is trying to minimize it by focusing on her "irrational" anger?

It sounds like you deal with a lot of reasonable angry men and a great many unreasonable angry women. (Or maybe just one really, really angry woman. If that's she case, I can pretty much guarantee you that telling her to calm down will never be the answer.)

Old 01-02-2018, 08:56 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:

Yet...

Why?
When a woman tells a man to calm down, the same thing happens. And men are much more prone to getting angry, because it's the only emotion they're "allowed" to express.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:13 AM

314 posts, read 440,126 times
it is simple..........you are trying to tell her what to do.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:18 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,730,901 times
This is not exclusive to women.
I have seen men freak out too when getting told to calm down.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:02 AM

880 posts, read 1,252,495 times
LOL, because if you are the one telling her to calm down, chances are that she is angry at YOU. And if she is angry at you, then you are automatically wrong. And instead of apologizing for always being wrong, you're suggesting that she is overreacting, which of course is not the case, because you are automatically wrong.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 AM

880 posts, read 1,252,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
"Holy moly, my lady is upset! How did I miss this? I should listen to her, and see what the problem is.".

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology