Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times

Advertisements

This is going to be strange but bear with me. I have consistent dreams about travelling to a city which I have never been. For consistency and to avoid distractions it will be left out but it is fairly well known, nothing special.

To me there should be nothing interesting there. None of my family or friends are close, none of my previous vacations or jobs even, not any thought of it seriously until now. It usually starts off with this incredible urge to reach there. It can be by driving, going on a plane or even by boat (technically it is all possible). In some other dreams, the dream will even "cut off" halfway and go straight to this one.

Everything that happens is normal. Just walking around, going in and out of buildings, seeing local tourist places and such. And when travelling there, it always feels happy and exciting, but once I am there, there is this strange sense of dread, as if something extremely bad is nearby, or something has been lost. I have had this dream several times now, and also I never dream of leaving either.

So why would you dream about a place you've never been before and want to get there so much? It makes no sense to me at all. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 04:41 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
I dream about "unknown" places all the time. I've been to other planets (usually the best dreams!), imaginary countries, places I've only read about, seen on tv or in movies, all sorts of places. Look at it this way...it costs you nothing, you don't need to pack a thing, and lets your mind off the hook for a while. It could simply be a suppressed wish for a change in circumstances, a wish for more freedom, or simply the mind taking the trip to experience something different.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:17 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
How old are you?

Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times
The human mind is very creative, opportunistic and self-protective. There are no easy, simple answers but I'd beware of all that astral travel, dream-state stuff. It is probably inaccurate and draws in all sorts of con artists and people who are deluded.

All the responses seem level-headed so far, but someone may respond who takes these travels to be literal events. I don't believe that is the case.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
A lot of times what we hear or see in the media gets jumbled up in dreams.

I've dreamed of NYC, even though I've never been nor really want to go, but it's in the media a lot and virtually impossible to avoid.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
I assume that this is a specific real-world city that you're dreaming about. Have you looked at pictures of this city? How does it compare with what you see in your dreams?

Can you think of anything that has triggered your thoughts about this city? Has it been in the news lately? Did a friend or family member travel there recently?

It's not exactly the same thing, but when I was a kid, for some reason I developed an interest in -- of all places -- Hilo, Hawaii. I have no idea how I would have even heard of it, much less why I had any kind of interest in it. I didn't actually dream about it, and I didn't obsess about it; but it was there in the back of my mind, for many years.

So when my wife-to-be and I decided to honeymoon in Hawaii, I made sure to include Hilo on the itinerary, just so I could satisfy my curiosity. It turned out that I loved it, and have gone back several times since then.

So who knows? Maybe your dreams are a subconscious way to encourage you to visit this particular city. You might just end up liking it!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Dreams can be an amalgamation of different sensory input received consciously or passively.

When I dream of a place, and the place is significant, it is usually a place familiar to me, but with something altered about it. Like, I'love be in my childhood home, but it will inexplicably be on the side of a big hill, and surrounded by various things that don't in reality apply. Or I'll recognize my old apartment, but the room arrangement is different, etc.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Interesting thread.

Starting as a child, I had a recurring dream in which I was in a small plane coming in for a landing in Johannesburg, South Africa. I had never heard of Johannesburg, and I don't know if the view I had of the city from the plane was even accurate. I was startled to learn that there was such a city, because I thought it was something made up in my dream.

I had the dream into adulthood, but it became less frequent and completely faded over time. It has been decades now since I had that dream.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Dreams can be an amalgamation of different sensory input received consciously or passively.

When I dream of a place, and the place is significant, it is usually a place familiar to me, but with something altered about it. Like, I'love be in my childhood home, but it will inexplicably be on the side of a big hill, and surrounded by various things that don't in reality apply. Or I'll recognize my old apartment, but the room arrangement is different, etc.
Dreams of home are said to be dreams of self. "Old apartment, but room arrangement is different" is a pretty easy metaphor to unravel. You know somewhere inside yourself what those dreams were saying to you.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Starting as a child, I had a recurring dream in which I was in a small plane coming in for a landing in Johannesburg, South Africa. I had never heard of Johannesburg, and I don't know if the view I had of the city from the plane was even accurate. I was startled to learn that there was such a city, because I thought it was something made up in my dream.
Wow, interesting. With me it's similar. The dream includes the travel as well as the actual "being" there. For example, one time there was a plane, but inside it was like a bus. And then the plane landed on water, travelling like a train. Each adaption is different. They don't happen constantly, more like every week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I assume that this is a specific real-world city that you're dreaming about. Have you looked at pictures of this city? How does it compare with what you see in your dreams?

So who knows? Maybe your dreams are a subconscious way to encourage you to visit this particular city. You might just end up liking it!
Yes, it's a real city. It is in the news sometimes but nothing unusual. Yes, I've investigated going there on travel websites and maps. It isn't particularly exotic or interesting and looks like most urban places. There are no beaches, no palm trees, no marde grai style parades. There are some memorials, a few blocks down there are auto shops, 7-Elevens and tattoo parlors. No, none of my family or friends has been there or would want to go there. Considering it isn't exactly tourist-friendly, I'm apprehensive to jump on the next plane there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
All the responses seem level-headed so far, but someone may respond who takes these travels to be literal events. I don't believe that is the case.
Of course that's sensible. Unless it turns out I really can fly, in which case I don't think anyone can help with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology