Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:41 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

I encounter plenty of folks who are reliable, so not suggesting for a moment that everyone is rude or not thoughtful. Many are, and would not feel comfortable inconveniencing you, or (say) not getting you a Christmas present. Generosity and empathy are not that rare, but more conducive to being loved, respected, supported and appreciated. People should ingrain these qualities in their children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 08:49 AM

801 posts, read 615,206 times
[quote=HomeIsWhere...;50628024]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I wonder if there is a name for this disorder, or if it's just a function of my age: I expect people to do what they tell me they're going to do. And if they don't and don't have a reasonable, understandable excuse, I just write them off. Perhaps I should be more flexible? <snip AT LEAST contact me and tell me they can't make it.

Am I being unreasonable?[/QUOTE]

No, I don't think you need to be 'more flexible' and if this is a recurring theme; no, just no.

Yes, one would think that the onus is on the party who is "late' or not able to make it to call. Yes, one would think.

No, I don't think you're being unreasonable.

A function of your age? Yeah, maybe because we are full grown adults and have just decided that we are in charge of and responsible for what we will allow to happen in various 'social/business exchanges.

Okay, so now that you've opened Pandora's box...

In this case, a sister-in-law. We're going out to breakfast (I'm up every morning at 4 AM) but because I'm the 'weirdo' I have to accommodate her 'lifestyle'.

"Okay then, I'll be there to pick you up at 11 am". Not anymore, she's never on time.

I have now re-engineered my life to suit my needs and my convenience, to wit, nowadays I do not allow anyone to pick me up, ever. In my experience it is akin to being kidnapped and held hostage.

Same sister-in-law, new rules, now I will only agree to lunch, at 12 noon and a movie matinee, (her preferred time/day/activity due to her very important lifestyle/schedule), and I will only meet her at the designated restaurant.

I get there 10 minutes early because I respect people and want to be on time. At 12 noon I either order my lunch or get the buffet, I leisurely eat my meal by myself, not giving a second thought that I am a) on time, b) eating alone, couldn't care less because I know for a fact that she will not be there on time and probably not call either.

I pay my bill, I leave my tip and I depart the restaurant. She has called me as I was on my way home or sometimes already home to say that she's "running a little late" but she'll be "right there", as if!

I act stupid and ask "right where"?

"Didn't 'we' say we were going out to lunch/matinee today"?

"Yeah, 'we' said at 12 noon, right?

"I...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah," all the various reasons and excuses and of course she was too busy to call. One would think that she was an 'on call' Emergency Room doctor.

"Oh, I'm sorry, when you hadn't called to say...blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, I just thought you had forgotten or got tied up with something else".

"Well can we meet for the matinee, at least"?

"Oh, I'm sorry, when I didn't hear from you I made other plans, maybe another time".

No, just no. Nothing at all objectionable to your view on this matter.
Absolutely fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology