Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 10:35 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think what gets missed is that, like Racism, there are very few died in the wool, head shaving sheet wearing cross burning racists, or even people that share there views even if they don't care to take it on as a cause.

What's more common are a couple milder misogynistic views or tendencies or behaviors. Really, its no different than a white woman that wouldn't identify as racist but yet would still call the cops on a black guy in her neighborhood that she didn't recognize.
I don't quite agree with that. True misogynists hold views of women that span not just relationships, but politics and life itself. They exist in groups, like racists. I don't actually think there are "very few" racists, we all witnessed many thousands of them in Charlottesville.

I don't think it's a misogynist view to say "all the women online are gold diggers" or users, or whatever. Those are just bitter men that are really talking about relationships with women. A misogynist view to me is more global and political, "Women should never be allowed to run for public office because they are hormonal and emotional". Heck, Roy Moore supposedly said it was a mistake to give women the right to vote. THAT is misogyny. There are countries and religions that hold misogynist views and base daily life on those views. There are also politically vocal groups with those views in this country.

But again, we toss around terms and try to apply them to all behavior that appears to be negative toward women, just like we lump women who complain about men and dismiss them as "feminists".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 11:32 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err... Whatever. LOL

I've had my moments in life where I didn't have a particularly high opinion of women. Any man who has been financially wiped out in a divorce is going to have those days.
Now see, that I can understand. It's when someone posts for example, that women are feminazis simply because a woman expresses an opinion he doesn't agree with, is what starts getting people riled. If we knew why the poster felt that way, I think it would go a long way towards keeping some arguments online more civil.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:51 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't quite agree with that. True misogynists hold views of women that span not just relationships, but politics and life itself. They exist in groups, like racists. I don't actually think there are "very few" racists, we all witnessed many thousands of them in Charlottesville.

I don't think it's a misogynist view to say "all the women online are gold diggers" or users, or whatever. Those are just bitter men that are really talking about relationships with women. A misogynist view to me is more global and political, "Women should never be allowed to run for public office because they are hormonal and emotional". Heck, Roy Moore supposedly said it was a mistake to give women the right to vote. THAT is misogyny. There are countries and religions that hold misogynist views and base daily life on those views. There are also politically vocal groups with those views in this country.

But again, we toss around terms and try to apply them to all behavior that appears to be negative toward women, just like we lump women who complain about men and dismiss them as "feminists".
^^^Best post in the thread

Why should we care if some single guy is bitter and perhaps misogynist when we have institutional misogyny in politics and corporations?

Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
^^^Best post in the thread

Why should we care if some single guy is bitter and perhaps misogynist when we have institutional misogyny in politics and corporations?
You know we had a perfectly good thread going here but now we're back to the "all men are evil" crap most of us probably thought we were going to find when we clicked on this thread in the first place.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:36 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err... Whatever. LOL

I've had my moments in life where I didn't have a particularly high opinion of women. Any man who has been financially wiped out in a divorce is going to have those days.
Any woman who has been left financially devastated and deep in debt by a marriage is going to have days when they feel the same way about men, trust me.

It fades with time and we can understand it was just THAT man. Or THAT woman.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:46 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Any woman who has been left financially devastated and deep in debt by a marriage is going to have days when they feel the same way about men, trust me.

It fades with time and we can understand it was just THAT man. Or THAT woman.
I agree with you. My Honey was treated very unfairly and was ordered lifetime alimony. He has now been paying alimony for longer than he was married. It is a noose around both our necks as we try to start a life together. I have bailed him out of jail when he fell behind (it is a lie that we don't have debtor's prison in this country). His ex is mean and mocks him for all of it.

BUT he knows he chose a bipolar manipulative psycho, and knows all women are not bipolar or psycho or mean. We got engaged this Christmas. If he can put in perspective anyone can.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Now see, that I can understand. It's when someone posts for example, that women are feminazis simply because a woman expresses an opinion he doesn't agree with, is what starts getting people riled. If we knew why the poster felt that way, I think it would go a long way towards keeping some arguments online more civil.
No you don't see. When misogyny and it's close relative paternalism is practiced at the institutional level, women are complicit as well.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:35 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with you. My Honey was treated very unfairly and was ordered lifetime alimony. He has now been paying alimony for longer than he was married. It is a noose around both our necks as we try to start a life together. I have bailed him out of jail when he fell behind (it is a lie that we don't have debtor's prison in this country). His ex is mean and mocks him for all of it.

BUT he knows he chose a bipolar manipulative psycho, and knows all women are not bipolar or psycho or mean. We got engaged this Christmas. If he can put in perspective anyone can.
Congratulations! I am happy for you, my fellow Jersey girl.

My ex is a bipolar alkie. Maybe we should introduce him to your fiance's ex.

Not trying to mock bipolar people--my daughter inherited her daddy's illness. But she manages it and lives responsibility and with compassion for others. There are always choices, no matter what the hand you were dealt.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
I always had this motto. A woman can hate me cause I'm a male but don't put your hands on me the cops will be called in an instant.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:37 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
No you don't see. When misogyny and it's close relative paternalism is practiced at the institutional level, women are complicit as well.
I think you're misunderstanding my post, but I never said women were innocent either. And your post is one of the reasons I've always preferred to have a male boss. Where I've worked, at least, I haven't seen the men forming little cliques that demand you join them or they exclude you, the same way bullies work in high school.

As it is, when men (and women) are professional (and not all of them are), I find it easier to work with them. And I'm not saying professional as in a white collar job. I'm talking about professional as it relates to how any person acts at whatever job he or she works, whether it's digging ditches, flipping hamburgers, or making multi-million dollar loans. I've seen construction workers act more professional than bankers in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology