Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,556 times

Advertisements

Do you find your favorite songs to be those that came out around a special or defining time in your life (e.g., graduation, college, marriage, etc.)?

My coworker, who's 20 years my senior (I'm 32), only listens to 70s and 80s music. I would imagine that's the music he grew up on.

In my case, I'm partial to music that came out during my college years since it was such a transformative time in my life (e.g., got with my wife, got my first job, transferred to a 4-year university, etc.).

Are you this way as well, or do you enjoy any kind of music --irrespective of when it came out?

Does anything cause you to reminisce more than music does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2018, 07:30 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
I live in the St. Louis area. We have a rock station called KSHE. Back in the days of my youth, it was very progressive for its time. I guess it could be compared to a college radio station? Anyway, they played ALL KINDS of rock music. Progressive, heavy metal, southern rock, bluesy rock...you name it, KSHE probably played it.

KSHE is still around, but they're more...I don't know..."older white guy rock n roll" now. lol I'm not sure otherwise how to describe it. I'd say MOST of the music they play now is AT LEAST 10 yrs. old. I still love my rock n roll...but KSHE plays the same ol songs every day. EXCEPT on Sundays, when they play the true classics. The stuff I loved, when I was a teenager.

Then I discovered the blues. The saying "the blues had a baby and they named it rock n roll" is pretty much true. Turns out, my favorite rock songs were blues based.

And then I discovered Zydeco, and now it's a toss up what I listen to more. Zydeco is still 'new' to me, and I love it, and discovering the old artists, the new artists, and the up and coming folks. It's fun to learn about something you like. lol

Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Oh, and you asked if there was anything else that stirred up the nostalgia. For me, smells will do that sometimes. Sometimes in an even sharper sense than the music.

Like sometimes, I'll walk into my house, and it'll remind me of my grandma's house. Like...it sent me right back to my grandma's house, in my head. It can be such an intense experience.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:11 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Oh, and you asked if there was anything else that stirred up the nostalgia. For me, smells will do that sometimes. Sometimes in an even sharper sense than the music.

Like sometimes, I'll walk into my house, and it'll remind me of my grandma's house. Like...it sent me right back to my grandma's house, in my head. It can be such an intense experience.

Yes, aromas for me....the soap Caress came out when I started dating a certain boyfriend...always think of him when using that soap.

Music too...can take me back to a certain place, person, or time.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
In the car and here at work I listen to Sirius XM, and my favorite channels are Hits 1 and 70's on 7. Hits 1 is the current crop of popular (top 40) music which I enjoy. The late 60s/early 70s were the years when as a teen in high school and college, and I went to a lot of concerts in the Bay Area at places like the Fillmore West, Winterland, Berkeley Community Theater. Many of those 70s songs bring back memories of that time when I hear them, so I listen often.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,255 times
Music from my childhood are still my favorite songs. Mid 90's-2010, especially 2000-2008. Just takes me back and makes me feel good. Music is a big nostalgia thing for me

Old 01-10-2018, 03:50 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,783,967 times
Certain songs from the 70s were played every day on a local radio station while I was taking swimming lessons. I took swimming lessons for years all the way up to life guarding, so sometimes when I hear a certain 70s song, I feel like I'm right back in the swimming pool.

My cousin and I were enamored with the BeeGees when they did the soundtrack for Grease and Stayin' Alive and did a lot of dancing in my grandma's basement. My poor grandma had to listen to us blasting that for hours on end when she probably just wanted some peace and quiet. Rotten kids.

Violent Femmes, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Depeche Mode...the soundtrack of my late 1980s college years. My son listens to them now. He says he remembers Soundgarden as the soundtrack of his childhood, so I must have listened to them often in the 90s- probably more than I realize.

We lived in South Carolina for a couple years awhile ago. I listened to Queens of the Stone Age's album Like Clockwork almost nonstop. I'd listen to it on my way to the beach and while working on art in my studio. I still listen to Queens of the Stone Age, but the album Like Clockwork reminds me of South Carolina and the beach.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,852,714 times
Relationships. Milestones. Life changes. These have all marked certain of my favorite periods in music. But there are also some that I can't really put my finger on. Like maybe there was just a good spirit of creativity at the time in the music world.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
Is it nostalgia or do we just like older music more because it was actually better and timeless and the new music now a days is mostly manufactured regurgitated garbage ?

Or is this new music actually good and I'm just becoming an old fuddy duddy?

Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,379,907 times
I'm like most people. Like the stuff I heard growing up. But I also like discovering new stuff and with the internet, it's easy to do that. If you look up a song on YouTube and read the comments. "This was when music was music. All the new stuff stinks" Fine to like older stuff, but don't spend the rest of your life listening to Three Dog Night.

All this music people call timeless just happens to coincide with their youth. Radio music was test marketed way back when just as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology