Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 09:59 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times

Advertisements

I signed up with a phone alert system a couple days ago. Haven't done it before because it's been more comfortable to assume that if you don't ask for alerts you won't need them. Magical thinking. But if it is as the Governor (California) is saying, that one after the other calamities is the new normal, then having alerts could be prudent. Providing they aren't false alarms. Or cry wolfs. (My ZTE doesn't seem to have any alert apps already installed so that's why I went looking.)

Last edited by LiaLia; 01-14-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Won't you get lots of alerts for situations that realistically won't affect you? There may not be any way to filter out the ones you can ignore. Depending on who makes the decision about what to alert, it could be anything from a freeway accident, a thunderstorm, to a nuclear attack. Those decisions might not be made by your neighborhood responders. Could be a constant source of needless anxiety. If its something very very immediate and serious, chances are you are already aware of it or will be before an alert helps. How will an alert change what you do in an earthquake? When you think about it, what do you really need to know at any given moment? I would rather think about what I should do when the most probable local emergencies happen (example: if I live in a box canyon I'd want to be prepared for wildfire or a flash flood) and do some advance planning on my own. You are less likely to feel helpless if you plan ahead.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,612,851 times
The amber alert sound is horrible, I just about jump out of my chair every time I hear it.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:45 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Won't you get lots of alerts for situations that realistically won't affect you? There may not be any way to filter out the ones you can ignore. Depending on who makes the decision about what to alert, it could be anything from a freeway accident, a thunderstorm, to a nuclear attack. Those decisions might not be made by your neighborhood responders. Could be a constant source of needless anxiety. If its something very very immediate and serious, chances are you are already aware of it or will be before an alert helps. How will an alert change what you do in an earthquake? When you think about it, what do you really need to know at any given moment? I would rather think about what I should do when the most probable local emergencies happen (example: if I live in a box canyon I'd want to be prepared for wildfire or a flash flood) and do some advance planning on my own. You are less likely to feel helpless if you plan ahead.
Your post describes how I was reasoning for years, why I never registered for alerts. But I'm getting convinced it's probably better to err on the side of caution. Also I've learned that if you have alerts you could get other info too like who's out there to help, who's near you, how to contact them, things like that.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:47 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Won't you get lots of alerts for situations that realistically won't affect you?
The folks who design alert systems know this is a concern, and they usually have ways for you to tailor notifications so you only receive alerts you really want.

There are many different types of alerts in my area, so I had to investigate to choose the most helpful.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:03 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
I turn this "feature" off day 1 every time I get a new phone.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
The amber alert sound is horrible, I just about jump out of my chair every time I hear it.
I have mine to set to vibrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology