Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times

Advertisements

I'm happy that I live where I do for the last 50+ yrs. Never have been bored. Always has been something "to do" here.

As a kid when I told my mom I was bored, she would hand me a bucket and say scrub the floor.

Now at 79, I can't do much due to joint issues, but I am not bored. Talk radio keeps me up on everything. Plus the internet.

Weather I'm sure has a major bearing on what one can do or not do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 02:15 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I like to try new things - my ADD brain tends to crave novelty. However, some things just consistently bring me joy. I have had my most important friendships for decades and still have not gotten tired of them. The pub we frequent together is always a pleasure - that has not dimmed. I like to order the same thing when I go to a restaurant once I determine what is good there. I love to wander the same shops. I am in many ways a creature of habit.

But I am always looking for new places to vist locally, new books to read, new shows to watch, new people to meet.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:00 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Is variety the secret to an exciting life?

What is exciting to some is boring for others, lol. I am happy as can be while playing in the dirt in my garden and get excited when I see my little seeds sprout. That is exciting to me to see something grow from nothing. My MIL thinks that's boring and rolls her eyes at me.

Anyway we all have many many routines in life. There is not much we can do about those, waking up a certain time, possibly a job, meal times, grooming habits, etc. I think many people are comfortable with those types of things even though many of those are not exciting.

Saying all of that I do like variety. My DH and I must have gypsy blood. We like new places and new people...and some of the old people too, and new projects...we love projects. We have been together for 20 years and lived/remodeled 17 houses/places. We love the change.

I also love to learn so I want to read about new things, talk to people and experience new things. I could never live in one place, work at the same job for 20, 30, or 40 years and then retire off that hamster wheel of a life and be happy about it.

Now there is a difference with liking your life and wanting to do/experience new things and from running from your life because it is not exciting enough for you. I feel bad for the people who never seem to be content and are constantly searching for "something" more/better/whatever to make them happy.

Maybe it's the conversation of that group that is boring. Bring something new to it and see if that peps it up for you Also you really can't compare your younger self(in your 20's) to now. In general all things are newer when we are young and thus seemed more exciting. The things I thought were exciting in college probably not so much now, lol.

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-18-2018 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
It's not a black and white issue.

Yes, variety offers spice. The flip side is that to get better at almost anything takes practice - but there can be variety in that practice. Again, it's a range rather than black and white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology