Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:19 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'll help you OP & I'm sorry about your sister. Thank you for this thread.

Grandiose &/or Narcissistic sound applicable at first but ... not. There is something else. What does everybody else seem to think of him?

Do they think he is honest?

A Martyr? A victim; even of just circumstance?

Or; do they see him as a dreamer? A loser? What do the kids'think?
He has a few friends, but not close friends. We noticed that his best friend is a goofy guy without other friends, and also my cousin who is also kind of strange. We know he is not honest, so I presume he has revealed that to others in different ways. What we know is that we lent him $5000. when he was starting his ill fated business, and not only did he never pay it back, but he keeps “forgetting” he owed it, even when we asked him about it. We never expect to get it, but it’s the “forgetting” part that’s irksome. We know he shoplifted in college, and tried to get out of paying his student loans.

His grown children must be aware of his flaws, but I’ve never discussed it with them. As I mentioned earlier he has bounced around different real estate companies, built a few teams that have fallen apart. He has one now that he seems happy with, but we’ll see how long it lasts. He likes to be the expert, and he like for the other little worker bees to make him money. He is in a car club, and likes to be an expert online also.

If it’s pertinent, this person never gets angry. To me, this isn’t normal. He jokes about everything. It’s as if all his feelings are buried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:38 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If it’s pertinent, this person never gets angry. To me, this isn’t normal. He jokes about everything. It’s as if all his feelings are buried.
I feel like it is really pertinent because it’s the stumbling block to any simple answer. The grandiosity, the inability to finish anything ... smacks of Bi-Polar but ... the use of humor to deflect doesn’t fit.

If your sister would have seen his anger, I wonder if she would have been honest about it?

Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I feel like it is really pertinent because it’s the stumbling block to any simple answer. The grandiosity, the inability to finish anything ... smacks of Bi-Polar but ... the use of humor to deflect doesn’t fit.

If your sister would have seen his anger, I wonder if she would have been honest about it?
I think she would have been honest about it. I think it’s normal to get angry sometimes. They were married 47 years. I know we’ve been with them under circumstances which would have made anyone tense, or frustrated, but BIL wasn’t.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:52 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
I rarely get angry , use humour to cope with difficult things but don't never bottle my emotions. I wouldn't use lack of anger as a litmus test on what is normal.

I also dislike my bil based on our interactions with him , believe it or not he is also in a car club and such an expert. Some of his behaviors and attitude have been very disturbing. I so loved my sil but she goes along with him at the cost of most all her family relationships. I don't feel sorry for her, she has made her choice and is complicit but I do feel sorry we can no longer see her .

Old 01-19-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I rarely get angry , use humour to cope with difficult things but don't never bottle my emotions. I wouldn't use lack of anger as a litmus test on what is normal.

I also dislike my bil based on our interactions with him , believe it or not he is also in a car club and such an expert. Some of his behaviors and attitude have been very disturbing. I so loved my sil but she goes along with him at the cost of most all her family relationships. I don't feel sorry for her, she has made her choice and is complicit but I do feel sorry we can no longer see her .
That’s a coincidence. The car thing, as well as being in charge of a real estate group, is indicative of my BILs need to be thought of as a expert. Historically, like I said, he could have legitimately risen to the top of any of the companies he was with, but the self sabotage kicked in.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
He has a few friends, but not close friends. We noticed that his best friend is a goofy guy without other friends, and also my cousin who is also kind of strange. We know he is not honest, so I presume he has revealed that to others in different ways. What we know is that we lent him $5000. when he was starting his ill fated business, and not only did he never pay it back, but he keeps “forgetting” he owed it, even when we asked him about it. We never expect to get it, but it’s the “forgetting” part that’s irksome. We know he shoplifted in college, and tried to get out of paying his student loans.
Well, they declared bankruptcy, so why do you think you're any better than any other creditor?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, they declared bankruptcy, so why do you think you're any better than any other creditor?
His sister got her money, because she was less polite than us....or she knew him better. If I borrowed money from my sister, at some point I would have paid her back sometime in the 35 years since then.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:21 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I also don't get all the hostility toward the OP. Gentlearts, how long ago did your sister pass? It sounds to me like you're mourning her in some way, going over all of this in your head, and venting. It's fine, it's human, and I'm sorry your sister didn't have a better life. However, these were choices she made and I'm assuming she wasn't stupid, so there were reasons for her choices and neither you nor she may be aware of all of them. Marriage is complicated, to put it simply. The thing with BIL being a bit emotionless could be some form of Asperger's.

You might also be a bit annoyed at her for accepting things you wouldn't have yourself, and are using BIL as a scapegoat to some extent. But even if that were true, all this deep rumination is about your feelings for your sister. Maybe you wish you had been closer and done more. It still sounds like grieving to me. Sort it out in your head, it's important.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:59 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
wow.....

seriously??

I don't understand the hostility directed at the OP...... she is just musing on her sister's husband and what may drive him......
With you on that...

Old 01-20-2018, 05:06 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
wow.....

seriously??

I don't understand the hostility directed at the OP...... she is just musing on her sister's husband and what may drive him......
Yes very seriously.
No surprise at the enablers coming out of the woodwork to co-sign the nasty gossip.
Got something to say about someone, go say it to them. Gossips are very nasty people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology