Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 10:11 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

For me anxiety, frustration, and depression come along with change for me. I embrace it and become stronger after it. Starting a new job or the months counting down till I got married. Then add in moving in my wife changing my whole life. I dealt with sort of.

Fear of the unknown excabetates it. The wife wants to work towards having a child. I am excited, but worried because our careers are kind of flat lined right now. I looked into a few different careers changes this past year, but little panned out. My wife and I are in school right now, but over the course of 2 years hit a rut. Plans have been halted due to limited school options in our State. Financially we just pay bills and try to save, but it's difficult. Wife and I talked about a plan. Wife is 100% me about 80%. Researched found areas where my wife and my current career are in demand. Within this area found more school options then we currently have in our State with lots more flexibility. Lower school cost and lower cost of living. The crux is it's 8 hours away from family, pets, and friends. That idea is torture and tearing me apart inside. Just want to break down and cry. Realize it could be for the best and only temporary. So many worried go through my head. How much life could change for those I am close to and not being able to be there for them. It scares me I don't know.

Any advice insight feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Staying put does not give you control over fate. But it does keep you on the same treadmill.

People move to better themselves all the time. Other people fearfully stay where they are. If you have better opportunities elsewhere, then I think you should consider your options, plan, save and move if that makes sense.

Once you have decided on a course of action, and found stability, then start your family.

Not being able to decide is, in effect, a decision not to act.

Staying close to your family does not confer protection. Moving away from them does not expose them to danger.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:09 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Honestly, you're not mature enough to have children.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
You say it would be a temporary move. If I'm understanding correctly, we're talking about 2 years, right?

I'd try to look FAAAAARRRR down the road, and tell myself "we're talking about 2 years. 2 years is a blip of time. And 8 hrs. isn't 8000 miles. It means you can visit family and friends on holidays and long weekends, and maybe it could mean you can meet friends at a fun half way point.

Here's the fun part about moving somewhere totally different with the love of your life. The fun of exploring new territory together. It will bond you and your wife closer together as you explore your new surroundings. You'll discover new restaurants, if you're an outdoors person, new places to hike, fish, etc.

I guess my main point I'm trying to make is...change is inevitable. Sometimes, change happens, and we have no say about it. But sometimes, we DO have some say over it, and it looks like THIS potential change is for the good, AND it's temporary.

Look for the good in it, instead of dreading it. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology