Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 05:59 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
My cat clearly has a personality disorder. Likely for reasons similar to humans. Since he appeared here hungry, wet, and cold, 1.5 years old and not neutered, he was likely neglected. (Too willing to walk straight in to be feral).

Now he is aggressive to other cats to the point he tries to make them leave and never come back. He fights the other one outside to dissuade him from coming in!

His psychology is 99.9% likely to be from not getting what he needed in his first 1.5 years. Just like damaged people.

That's exactly right. I adopted a cat that had either been lost or dumped, and he is so well socialized he is actually a better person than I am; he is sweet, affectionate, patient, forgiving, kind, and utterly loveable. It's partly his nature but he must have been loved as a kitten. Alternatively, I've seen ferel cats who were various degrees of crazy including behavior that is probably like human schizophrenia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 06:05 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That's exactly right. I adopted a cat that had either been lost or dumped, and he is so well socialized he is actually a better person than I am; he is sweet, affectionate, patient, forgiving, kind, and utterly loveable. It's partly his nature but he must have been loved as a kitten. Alternatively, I've seen ferel cats who were various degrees of crazy including behavior that is probably like human schizophrenia.
He's definitely crazy. I don't see how he could be socialized enough with humans to accept me in under a minute if he was feral, though. I'll never know, but I think he was someone's outdoor cat. He didn't know at first what a litter box is for.

Anyway, animals can be mentally ill.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:20 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Baboons kidnap puppies. My dog went crazy trying to find the puppies that needed rescue listening to this!
Not sure what point you are trying to make with this video.

However I agree with the 2nd YouTube comment.
Quote:
This is nonsense. Baboons do NOT kidnap feral dogs (those here are actually Caanan dogs) and raise them as "pets." This is footage filmed by a French television crew in Saudi Arabia of baboons scavenging at a dump. The footage at the start showing an adult baboon dragging a puppy is an example of rough play not a "kidnapping." The other footage shows the baboons and the dogs together at the dump. The animals are merely tolerating each other not living together. The footage was shown on a British nature show 'Animals Like Us' and deceptive (actually false) narration was added. Baboons don't kidnap puppies and raise them as "pets". That's nonsense.
Then I googled it and look what I found!

Baboons Might Kidnap Puppies (But Not As Pets)

In fact many don't know this but humans are also primates and what do we do to other animals besides keeping them as pets?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
He's definitely crazy. I don't see how he could be socialized enough with humans to accept me in under a minute if he was feral, though. I'll never know, but I think he was someone's outdoor cat. He didn't know at first what a litter box is for.

Anyway, animals can be mentally ill.
In the wild not so much, the reason being is that they don't survive in the wild with mental illness for very long...thus their genes are not passed on.

Animals kept in captivity certainly develop and show mental illness. That's what happens when you remove them from their natural environment. As well as just being kept by a human...most humans are totally clueless on how to properly raise or treat animals...this leads to many animals mental suffering and development of mental issues.

Last edited by Matadora; 01-21-2018 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
People with some kind of mental illness is very common, often leading to very bad things; for them and for others. No other species seems to deal with mental issues anywhere near humans. That being said, given how inherently extremely flawed the human mind is, do we really deserve to view ourselves as some kind of advanced species? Seems as if some advanced alien species came along they'd have every right to wipe us out for being such genetic defects.
Name one species more advanced than humans.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:40 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
People with some kind of mental illness is very common, often leading to very bad things; for them and for others. No other species seems to deal with mental issues anywhere near humans. That being said, given how inherently extremely flawed the human mind is, do we really deserve to view ourselves as some kind of advanced species? Seems as if some advanced alien species came along they'd have every right to wipe us out for being such genetic defects.
The more complex a system is, the more things that can go wrong with it. The human brain is incredibly complex.

Maybe a mollusk can't be schizophrenic, but it can't write an opera, either.

Other intelligent and emotive animals, such a dogs and apes, can and do suffer psychological ailments as well.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The more complex a system is, the more things that can go wrong with it. The human brain is incredibly complex.

Maybe a mollusk can't be schizophrenic, but it can't write an opera, either.

Other intelligent and emotive animals, such a dogs and apes, can and do suffer psychological ailments as well.
Not always at the hands of humans either. I follow rescue stories all the time and poor doggies out on their own will get picked on by bigger, stronger dogs and develop issues that even the most wonderful loving human home has a hard time 'fixing'.

I followed one such story for a year and the dog was like agoraphobic. If they let him out in the yard he'd burrow to hide so deeply the humans had a hard time getting him out.

I also read about a donkey that stopped eating and would not leave the spot his son had met his death. Poor baby was traumatized and didn't want to live any more, like some humans in response to traumatic grief.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Name one species more advanced than humans.
I think many here are simply getting caught up on the word "advanced".

We are by no means the most physically advanced animal species on earth. We are most certainly not advanced with the natural abilities that other animals innately possess.

Every animal on this planet has it's own advanced traits. This does not mean humans are the best species on this earth...in fact there is plenty of evidence that demonstrates that we are not.

We might hold the place for the most intellectually advanced species but that's about it.

However there are plenty of other highly intelligent animals that are just as sentient as we are.

Humans have been conditioned for a long time to think they are the superior/advanced species.

We have our advanced traits and other animals innately possess their own advanced traits as well.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
We "advanced species" humans (usually) don't destroy our young if they aren't healthy.

In the animal kingdom, a mother will either abandon or eat their young (sorry that it paints a gross picture) if they aren't healthy. It's called survival of the fittest.

What isn't "advanced" is human's capacity to be cruel, murderous, and hateful ON purpose. Yes, cruel things happen in nature, but it is done not because the animal enjoys the cruelty, it is because the behavior is natural.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I also read about a donkey that stopped eating and would not leave the spot his son had met his death. Poor baby was traumatized and didn't want to live any more, like some humans in response to traumatic grief.
Yes some animals can't overcome the grief of the death of their offspring or their parents. Same with humans...there are documented cases of people dying from grief and broken hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology