Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:22 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times

Advertisements

This research Younger Americans better at telling factual news statements from opinions | Pew Research Center got lots of publicity recently.

It says that older people are worse at deciding if a statement is a fact or an opinion. Well, we suspected all along that young people are smarter, right? So this is not news. Another victory for age discrimination! Fire everyone in your company who is over 50.

But wait ... was the research fair and unbiased? Or was it contrived to "prove" something?

Here is one of the statements the researchers consider an opinion:

"Immigrants who are in the U.S. illegally are a very big problem for the country today."

61% of the over-50s knew that's an opinion, while 74% of the under-50s knew.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, that statement is considered a fact by a lot of conservatives, but not many liberals. And WE KNOW that older people are more likely to be conservative.

There are similar problems with most of the other statements.

So WHY is this research reported as if it shows what it supposedly shows?

And WHY is the PEW research center trying to inspire age discrimination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 12:10 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
I don't know if it's about younger people being smarter. It's more likely that people dig in our heels more on our own opinions the more years we've had them, and they're going to influence how we see the world. Actually, they always do, but it stands to reason that after years and years we'll be more certain of where we're right (so to speak), where we're wrong, and a zillion details about the world. Those must color what we see as "factual."

In reality "factual" is probably loosely represented here, I agree with you there. Nevertheless, I do think what I've stated here is true, in a general way, at least from what I've seen.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:10 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
well the first thing is that people getting more conservative as they age is a myth
https://www.livescience.com/2360-bus...beral-age.html

I'd question who they questioned, and where those people lived. If they interviewed seniors in the last village I lived they would show very different results, as opposed to the nearby town that predominantly votes conservative.

While I generally like Pew Research, I don't always take what they report as fact, since how a survey is done can be subjective or asked in such a way to support a hypothesis (even when not intentional) .

Old 10-31-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
well the first thing is that people getting more conservative as they age is a myth
https://www.livescience.com/2360-bus...beral-age.html

I'd question who they questioned, and where those people lived. If they interviewed seniors in the last village I lived they would show very different results, as opposed to the nearby town that predominantly votes conservative.

While I generally like Pew Research, I don't always take what they report as fact, since how a survey is done can be subjective or asked in such a way to support a hypothesis (even when not intentional) .
It's hard to say if that research about older people getting more liberal is valid. As you said, there are so many problems with survey research. For one thing, it's awfully hard to define "liberal" or "conservative." It seems that they mostly based it on race relations, and just about everyone in America has become more liberal regarding that.

But it's pretty obvious that young people tend to be more "liberal" in certain areas.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:50 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
My opinion (based on the fact that I have experienced it, which is a qualifier for labeling this as fact...)

Is that many older people, college educated or not, may not have been exposed to or required to take classes in the areas that help people determine fact from myth, formal ways to develop Critical Thinking Skills.

Quantitative and Formal Reasoning/ Scientific Reasoning / Analytical Reasoning/ Quantitative reasoning/ Philosophy logic, etc.

This is something that is noticeable around CD. There are a lot of opinions, but not a lot based on fact. A person has to be able to determine what is a fact, before they can decide if they're "right". A fact isn't proven merely because someone 'read it somewhere.'

A fact is: An Event, item of information, or state of affairs existing, observed, or known to have happened, and which is confirmed or validated to such an extent that it is considered 'reality.'

Old 10-31-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
My opinion (based on the fact that I have experienced it, which is a qualifier for labeling this as fact...)

Is that many older people, college educated or not, may not have been exposed to or required to take classes in the areas that help people determine fact from myth, formal ways to develop Critical Thinking Skills.

Quantitative and Formal Reasoning/ Scientific Reasoning / Analytical Reasoning/ Quantitative reasoning/ Philosophy logic, etc.

This is something that is noticeable around CD. There are a lot of opinions, but not a lot based on fact. A person has to be able to determine what is a fact, before they can decide if they're "right". A fact isn't proven merely because someone 'read it somewhere.'

A fact is: An Event, item of information, or state of affairs existing, observed, or known to have happened, and which is confirmed or validated to such an extent that it is considered 'reality.'
I agree that not everyone has studied logic and statistics and the scientific method. Most probably have not. HOWEVER, even the most educated people are very likely to be biased. One person's fact is another person's myth. No amount of scientific reasoning can change this.

I don't know if younger people had more scientific education. Maybe, since going to college is more common now.

Either way, I have noticed that the most educated people sometimes have the least common sense. There is a lot of indoctrination in college. I have a lot of education, but I also did a lot of studying on my own. I saw smart people having crazy ideas, because I had information aside from what they taught.

So really, education does not cure human nature.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:53 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I agree that not everyone has studied logic and statistics and the scientific method. Most probably have not. HOWEVER, even the most educated people are very likely to be biased. One person's fact is another person's myth. No amount of scientific reasoning can change this.

I don't know if younger people had more scientific education. Maybe, since going to college is more common now.

Either way, I have noticed that the most educated people sometimes have the least common sense. There is a lot of indoctrination in college. I have a lot of education, but I also did a lot of studying on my own. I saw smart people having crazy ideas, because I had information aside from what they taught.

So really, education does not cure human nature.
You're right, that's not what I meant, I think recently educated people may have had more exposure to critical thinking skills classes though. I went to college in the 80s and again in the 90s and lastly for 2 more years in 2007-8, only in the last decade was this type of class a requirement for me.

The one thing constant though, is a fact. Something either is a fact, or is not. I think there are older people who may have a tendency to not consider that as easily, due to the amount of experience they have with believing something that cannot be proved as factual. Old wives tales, etc. My mother in law lived by this "that's how its always been" attitude, and there was no convincing her that rubbing butter on a burn is not a remedy, or rubbing gold on a sty takes it away. Wasn't dumb, either, it was baffling, I learned not to argue, but obviously those are not facts.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:09 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:

"Immigrants who are in the U.S. illegally are a very big problem for the country today."
Regardless of political allegiance, people should know that statement is an opinion. The phrase "very big problem" is subjective and therefore not unbiased.

A factual statement would be, "The number of immigrants who have entered the US illegally has decreased and stabilized since 2009."

Whether someone thinks that fact is a problem is their opinion.

Quote:

That's ^^^ definitely an opinion.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:12 PM

481 posts, read 423,302 times
Quote:
This research Younger Americans better at telling factual news statements from opinions | Pew Research Center got lots of publicity recently.

It says that older people are worse at deciding if a statement is a fact or an opinion. Well, we suspected all along that young people are smarter, right? So this is not news. Another victory for age discrimination! Fire everyone in your company who is over 50.

But wait ... was the research fair and unbiased? Or was it contrived to "prove" something?

61% of the over-50s knew that's an opinion, while 74% of the under-50s knew.

Well, OBVIOUSLY, that statement is considered a fact by a lot of conservatives, but not many liberals. And WE KNOW that older people are more likely to be conservative.

There are similar problems with most of the other statements.

So WHY is this research reported as if it shows what it supposedly shows?

I just find it very ironic that you prove Pew's study correct, lmao.

Old 10-31-2018, 03:55 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,030 times
Anyone who has worked with the scientific method knows that data can be manipulated to prove whatever the person with the hypothesis wants to prove within reason. You can also exclude data from your random sample until you collect enough random sample data that sways your hypothesis into the direction you want the conclusion of your thesis to go.

Interestingly enough, this whole study is based pretty much entirely on opinions.

The only facts are whether the participants belong to a political party, and whether the participants have any interest in the news - provided that all participant's answers are truthful answers, which might as well be an opinion because another group reproducing the same study could draw participation that answers completely the opposite of the participants in this published report.

Whether they consider themselves to be politically aware, or digitally aware, or have faith in the quality of news they receive are all just their own personal opinions.

The conclusion of this particular PEW Research presents an opinion about opinions based primarily on the opinions of its participants. How factual is that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology