Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you feel about high school?
Loved it and would enjoy doing it again. 26 16.25%
Hated it and would fight if I had to do it again. 85 53.13%
Meh, I couldn't care either way. 47 29.38%
I didn't finish in the first place. 2 1.25%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 02:21 AM

522 posts, read 715,685 times

Advertisements

It was pure torture at a so called Christian school which also much later on was,classified as a cult. I have a dislike of the people I went to school with. I dropped out junior year and got my GED. And never looked back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 05:03 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
Need a 5th option about having mixed feelings (but not apathy). My overall experience leans positive, but there were obvious issues. I think I set my high school's record for hours of detention, which was something that High School Me took a lot of pride in. It was a Jesuit school, and the hourlong after-school detention sessions were called 'JUG', which was said to be an acronym standing for 'justice under God'. I never received confirmation that this was what it actually meant, heh. Anyway, during high school I always joked that after soccer season ended, JUG season began for me. And it was kind of true--during the first quarter of all four years, I might've had 2 or 3 hours of detention total, because I had incentive to stay out of trouble. After, I'd do all sorts of ridiculous things (often involving pranks or violations of the 'computer usage agreement') that'd result in my getting detention, because I valued my troublemaking reputation more than I cared about the consequences. I also liked getting under certain people's skins at this uptight prestigious-enough school. At a certain point in junior year there was talk about my potentially being expelled if I didn't 'clean up my act' as I believe I was told. Still managed to do well enough academically to be admitted to an Ivy League school (which I did not attend), but I'm sure a couple of the administrators might look back on me as some complete moron who was lucky to graduate.
I would have like to be friends with you in high school. Sounds like a good amount of fun. Some of my buddies went to Jesuit high schools so I'm well familiar with the JUG acronym. Some of them were JUG champs like you.

I mostly liked high school, some years more than others. I wasn't particularly crazy about freshman year, but the last 3 years were good. Like you, I went to a Catholic school, though not a Jesuit school. I also spend a healthy number of afternoons sitting in detention, mostly in the last 2 years. I had a couple of teachers in my junior year that I had run-ins with, and they kept giving me detention. After the first couple of times, I realized that I enjoyed getting into some trouble and the penalty didn't particularly bother me. After that, I mostly did what I wanted, especially senior year when there were more "opportunities" to do stuff like cutting last period to go drinking.

I think it's good to push back against the rules somewhat in high school, as long as you're doing well overall.

Looking back now, from the perspective of having worked for 3 decades in a demanding job, I realize how good I had it in high school. It was nice to have so much free time. The second half of high school and the first half of college, when I had adult freedoms but before I had to get serious about figuring out a career, were in many ways the most fun time of my life. I haven't known such freedom since.

Last edited by dazzleman; 01-25-2018 at 06:21 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 07:04 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,481 times
An observation that comes to mind regarding this thread is how many teachers view their occupation as a prison sentence, with the days counted until retirement.

In adulthood, almost all educators I know or come across have this attitude. They tend to blame everything and everyone but themselves for their plight, citing common core restrictions, unenthusiastic and troublesome students, oppressive administration, not enough leeway and freedom to truly teach, etc.

Additionally, although few would admit it, I gather from "reading between the lines" of information given that many choose the occupation for the salary, benefits, job security and holidays/summers off over a true calling to teach.

Wondering if this has been the experience with other posters here?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:14 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
How did you feel about high school?

It was something that I had to do. I thought it was a huge waste of time and the subjects that were and still are taught did not prepare me for life. Actually most of my classes were quite useless to me.

Academically I did fine but I had no interest in the "required" courses for graduation.

Socially I had a small circle of friends and no issues with other students.

I had no problems in school but I could have done without it and if I had to go back I would be a "bad" kid so they would send me off the Boces or the equivalent so I could at least get some training for something that I could support myself with.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:16 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I hated high school because I was nearly the only black kid in a mostly white racist school. While the kids treated me with respect, I coudl still sense the racist undertones. Besides, I use to get high and drunk every day and night to numb out the pain. I was a drugggy so I could escape reality.
The first two years of HS I was a black kid in a mostly white upper class school system and teachers and students there had no problem letting me know they thought I had no business there. I got lucky and moved to a minority majority system in the DC suburbs where people weren't anywhere near as awful to me.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:20 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Had a decent high school experience. Mid-pack kid both in academics/social status, didn't play sports in high school. I was a prankster, spirited kid.

At the 20th reunion, I was signed up for the golf outing. A friend organizing it said he had a problem as several people requested to play specifically with me! When I asked why, they said they knew I would be funny and wanted to catch up with me.

My wisdom in hindsight:

Cheerleaders became linebackers
Football players became fat bald guys
A few average girls became gorgeous women and most of the "hot chicks" in high school were burned up by the time they were 25.
In one case, one of the most macho Italian kids (bully) turned out to be GAY!

High school was simply a 4 year point in time. Regardless of what you thought, it was tough for everyone. For me, I was shocked at the 20th reunion. The highlight for me was telling a very average girl (in high school) how beautiful she had become as an adult, she cried and hugged me for what I thought was a looonng time. It was almost like she had her doubts and in one sentence I erased all of them for her.

Our valedictorian went to MIT, she messaged me that she was ready for another dose of my sense of humor after 20 years! I thought it was funny especially since we had NO contact after graduation. Funny how other people perceive you even years later.

That reminds me...

Way back, when I started my new school in my new state, I never ever forgot the 2 girls (and the only people, other than teachers) to talk to me on my first day of school.

Years and years later, we become friends on Facebook, and she says she remembers me being popular and funny in school.

I told her she surely has me mixed up with someone else. I could certainly be sarcastic, when mean kids tried to talk smack, but mostly, I was really shy, and pretty quiet. I always had a couple of friends, but I would NEVER call myself popular.

She insists she's right. If she is, I WISH I'd known I was so popular back then. lol (But really...I think she has me mixed up with someone else.)

Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
It was a joke- students graduated that were illiterate. Georgia public schools were a joke then (1970's), and they are even worse now.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:40 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I hated High School. I was socially awkward and had very few friends. I also had a poor GPA entering my senior year. I wrote one paper and turned it in to my English and Humanities class. That one paper pulled my GPA to a 2.83 (B-).

I loved College. I had heard about a two year program in fish technology in Idaho and attended that program. It was so much fun and prepared me for my career in fisheries.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:51 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Like for many others, high school was okay for me. I wasn't popular, but I had friends. I was a decent but not outstanding student. It wasn't the best years of my life, nor was it four years or torment. It was fine.
This is me to a tee......

Old 01-25-2018, 10:22 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I hated high school because I was nearly the only black kid in a mostly white racist school. While the kids treated me with respect, I coudl still sense the racist undertones. Besides, I use to get high and drunk every day and night to numb out the pain. I was a drugggy so I could escape reality.
This is pathetic and in my days we had very few blacks in our town and it's disgraceful how they were treated....shame on all of us. Ignorance is not bliss it's history of hatred. So so happy my grandchildren have all colors of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology