Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 04:04 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Boston, MA (AHN) - A recent survey revealed that those who spend a reasonable amount of money on other people experience greater elation than those who buy things for themselves. Scientists from the Harvard Business School gathered 632 Americans and questioned them about their income, their spending habits, and their level of happiness.

Survey: Generosity Towards Others Brings Greater Happiness | March 22, 2008 | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7010405366 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I think this is flawed. On the other hand I believe that generosity is good- to a point. When someone takes advantage of it is when it becomes a problem. If you have no money there is no way this can apply to you. I enjoy helping people, but unless I experience generosity from time to time as well, it becomes easier to just ignore others. Any study based on opinions expressed is suspect, but my view is that generosity only brings pleasure if it is experienced both as giver and recipient over the long haul.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Many of my friends, when they stroll among the beggar's hovels just kick the filthy rabble aside and continue with their tour of the picturesque dwellings of mud and cardboard.

I, however, being much more refined and compassionate, throw pennies and nickels on the ground and watch the poor unfortunates fight over it.

This always makes me feel good and I enjoy doing it. Not just because it's an exciting sporting event, but because I have generously contributed part of my wealth to make their lives better.

I wish they could write so I could get a receipt for tax purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology