Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 05:21 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,413,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Good Lord. You are completely overacting. You have no idea what happen.
That is true. As I said, they might have died. Or else had some kind of overwhelming disaster to deal with.

But I think it's more likely snobbery and rudeness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
If a person asks me for a reference once, & I say yes, I do not expect to be asked again. If some time has lapsed, I may expect a new email mentioning a new application, but not asking again for the reference. Something like, just to let you know, I applied for a job at Abb company.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:43 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That is true. As I said, they might have died. Or else had some kind of overwhelming disaster to deal with.

I take it you are not on Facebook. I have had several “friend” requests that I have ignored and made some that were ignored. My skin is not that thin.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:46 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times
Maybe they don't check that email account much anymore?

Old 01-27-2018, 05:49 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,993,638 times
Quote:

It's inconvenient, but you're making assumptions & statements that are out of proportion in Re: to the issue. It sounds a bit occam's razor... it's probably the most likely scenario that is the truth, iow, the email wasn't received, the person is on vacation, etc. Just recently, a realtor sent 2 emails to me, I didn't reply, she mentioned the emails when we spoke & I then noticed she was using an old email address I rarely use. Simple.

Given your penchant for drama... they died (unless they're elderly), they're snobby, rude, wouldn't treat a homeless person the same way... geez, dude, I might run & hide if I saw you coming. You said you spoke & they said they'd be happy to provide a reference, so that's probably still the case. Relax. Given your moniker, Good4Nothin, I'm wondering if feeling victimized isn't a usual obstacle in your life? It might be something to address.

Your tactic didn't work... email reply. It's a glitch & certainly not the end of the world. So, try another way. Call on the phone. You said you hadn't worked in the field for 25-yrs, so I'm guessing you're hard up for a reference, hence your panic. If that's the case, call & ask if you can buy him/her coffee or lunch, basically to get caught up & to thank them for their reference. Good people & management skills include knowing other ways around obstacles, rather than running at the same target with a bandaged head. There are many solutions to 1 problem. So, just find another way.

Best of luck with everything!

Old 01-27-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If a person asks me for a reference once, & I say yes, I do not expect to be asked again. If some time has lapsed, I may expect a new email mentioning a new application, but not asking again for the reference. Something like, just to let you know, I applied for a job at Abb company.
Well, here is more detail to explain why I asked again. I wrote to Dr. Snobb last August, and asked if she remembered me, since it had been over 20 years since I was her student. She said yes of course, she remembered me (I was actually her first graduate student). But since it had been such a long time, she wanted to have a conversation before being a reference.

It turned out that job fell through, I am not sure why. So I did not have a reason to have a conversation with Dr. Snobb.

Then another job came along about a month ago. They hired me right away, and did not ask for any references. But I had to fill out lots of official employment forms, including one that asked for references. I put Dr. Snobb on the list, assuming there was no problem with that.

After turning in those forms, I wrote to Dr. Snobb, to see if she wanted to have that conversation with me, since I had been hired for an adjunct teaching job, and had listed her as a reference.

She didn't answer. I decided I better write again, just in case she didn't see the first one. I said I would understand if she did not want to be on my list of references, since I have very little teaching experience. I said it probably did not matter, since I was already hired. But I wanted to know if I should NOT list her as a reference in the future, in case I apply to other colleges.

No answer. That was a week ago.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Given your moniker, Good4Nothin, I'm wondering if feeling victimized isn't a usual obstacle in your life? It might be something to address.
I am just guessing, but is it true that you have no sense of humor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
. You said you hadn't worked in the field for 25-yrs, so I'm guessing you're hard up for a reference, hence your panic.
I am NOT hard up for a reference, I have enough without her. But she is my most important teaching reference.

I am NOT in a panic! I said I was hired for the job. And this is just a retirement job, I don't absolutely need to work anyway. I just want to. There is no panic involved. I am just kind of pissed.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Well, here is more detail to explain why I asked again. I wrote to Dr. Snobb last August, and asked if she remembered me, since it had been over 20 years since I was her student. She said yes of course, she remembered me (I was actually her first graduate student). But since it had been such a long time, she wanted to have a conversation before being a reference.

It turned out that job fell through, I am not sure why. So I did not have a reason to have a conversation with Dr. Snobb.
Why in the world would you list someone as a job reference whom you haven't spoken to in 20 years and who cannot speak to your current state of ability and qualifications? That's not how things are done. She doesn't want to be your reference, and if your emails to her are anything like your posts here, she may have felt threatened by your level of hostility and entitlement.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why in the world would you list someone as a job reference whom you haven't spoken to in 20 years and who cannot speak to your current state of ability and qualifications? That's not how things are done. She doesn't want to be your reference, and if your emails to her are anything like your posts here, she may have felt threatened by your level of hostility and entitlement.
You didn't read most of what I wrote. That's why you don't understand.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,993,638 times
Quote:
I am just guessing, but is it true that you have no sense of humor?
Untrue, but it has no relevance to anything in your posts. Are you saying everything you wrote was with a sense of humor?

Quote:
I am NOT hard up for a reference, I have enough without her. But she is my most important teaching reference.

I am NOT in a panic! I said I was hired for the job. And this is just a retirement job, I don't absolutely need to work anyway. I just want to. There is no panic involved. I am just kind of pissed.
You explained the above after I replied, which you already know. And, speaking of that sense of humor you mentioned...

Dude, you really do need to chill. You've been given the same advice from multiple people... call. Do it or don't. I still wish you good luck, ya knucklehead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology