Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have certainly been despised on internet forums. One of my hobbies is arguing with atheists, because it helps me improve my thinking on the subject (I am NOT an atheist, but I don't follow any man-made religion either).

I consider it "writing for a hostile audience," which I think may be a useful skill.

In my real life, I try not to argue. I posted another thread about someone I am trying to get along with, and it's hard. He hates it if I disagree with him on something he considers himself to be a great expert on. His opinion usually involves following the crowd, which is something I don't always do.
Evidently you do not realize how "telling" your post is. Obviously you seek to confront, at least online.

Whence the dichotomy between your online personality and your RL personality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I often make grammar mistakes on purpose. I studied linguistics, so for me it's kind of fun to break the rules.
I have argued elsewhere (in our Writing forum area) that many if not most successful authors intentionally "break the rules" to develop an individual authorial style.

Yes Virginia, there is such a thing as authorial license.

My theory is that anybody sufficiently advanced can master a trade such as writing. Once one is a certified expert and understands the rules fully, he or she is capable of judging when it is appropriate to break the rules. A journeyman breaking the same rules would be clumsy and the result would be poor. A true expert is one who knows when it is appropriate to break the rules, know when they will get away with it because they have surpassed the ordinary rules of writing or journalism.

The simple truth is that as an author if your works sell and are popular, then you are exempt from the rules of grammar and spelling. That is if you agree with me that writing as a profession is not an art form but rather a monetary producing platform. As a prospective author I don't seek academic acclaim for my works, I seek popular acclaim in terms of copies sold and income produced.

To my way of thinking you are not making grammar mistakes. You are exhibiting individuality of style, intended to achieve a specific effect. If you succeed then by definition you have expertise in that area.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
I had an IQ of 140 when I was 12. I have no idea what that means and it never proved to have made a rat's tush worth of difference in my life because I was also "blessed" with severe anxiety and a crackhead family (anxiety, depression, OCD and more in the soup). Whatever good I could have achieved with the rest of my brain, my amygdala prevented. It is no good to test well, you have to have so many other factors fall into place to make it all become "genius".
Not commenting on the period outside the quote, LOL.

I too tested similarly at a similar age. Fact is that IQ changes over age and that your IQ at that age surely correlates but does not mean your IQ at your present age (or mine). I'm glad that I didn't share your "crackhead family" experience. I've had a few problems (since resolved) but none like yours.

Fact is that IQ is a flawed test (say the Stanford-Binet) because a scalar (simple number) cannot represent intelligence (a multi-dimensional vector) except in a superficial way. Wikipedia has an interesting article on IQ. The first level of improvement contrasts Qf (fluid, your CPU) and Qc (crystalized, your HDD). Best I can say is keep reading, I'm not going to achieve anything in this topic by typing what I have learned.

IQ changes over age, but I have the credo once smart always smart. Beyond that we're merely discussing how smart, and by what standard.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
That period outside the quote you referenced is correct.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Don't remember my score, but was very rare and a low percent. I am female and do feel superior to normal people with no goals, standards, education, etc. Such as people who are content. It is a personality thing. Often people think I look down on them and come across stuck up. My mindset is different and I have very high standards, but mostly for myself. So, I hold others at that same standard. Feel like we all have the same chance no matter your background. Am always working toward some goal and don't think this will ever stop.
Nice post, I share your feelings. It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to likely be the smartest person in any typical group of 100 people.

This is my favorite chart: https://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/iqtable.aspx

With an IQ of 135 you are likely the smartest person in any typical group of 102 people and your percentile is 99.0184693146%. (I prefer the 15 SD percentiles.)

Go up to IQ 140 and your are 1 in 261, percentile 99.6169574875%.

To my mind this seems bizarre, but true. I hate to sound elitist but I routinely do things that 99+% of all people couldn't do. I'm sure many of us in this topic feel the same. When you achieve a certain level you take such things as granted, and don't notice that average people can't do that.

By trade I was an electronic engineer, now retired. But all my life I've been logical, scientific, yet intuitive in expressing myself with words (English), writing, an artist, not such a good musician. Actually I'm probably described best as a dilettante.

You can't measure such things with a simple number.

And I'm not even getting into such things as personality e.g. as measured by the MMPI which I've been told (by a Psy.D.) is now outmoded. I minored in Psych in college. I'll have to take the word of professionals.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My IQ is 134, so nothing crazy, but I am capable of learning.
(bemused) Please note that IQ and sanity are not necessarily correlated. Thus the saying, "I may be dumb but I'm not crazy."

Noting that mere leaches are capable of learning, although I'm sure at 135 you learn better.

SRSLY, is there an online site where I can take this test for free? I'm just getting into the topic and wading through something-teen pages of posts. I have no clue where I test on this scale, or even if I'm smart enough to take the test.

FWIW I did earn a BS degree from a name university.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I haven't read the thread, so forgive me if this has bee mentioned earlier, but the Meyers-Briggs test is not an IQ test. It's just a psychological-type test. It sounds like those women are reading things into it that aren't there. And I say that as an INTJ.
I'm wading through the topic because it seems interesting, and I'm an intellectual very interested in psychology. I minored in Psych because I'm fascinated with the subject. To me there can be no more fascinating subject than studying humans.

It appears to me that this topic is primarily women oriented, or is that an incorrect observation? Yes I have seen men contributing to the topic too.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
One thing that amazes me about people is how we have an inexhaustible supply of information at our fingertips via the internet, yet so many take the words of blogs or magazine articles as gospel truth without conducting their own research on whatever claims the author makes.
What amazes me is that we have the Internet with everything you could ever want to learn especially in the academic sense, yet so few use it. That's because of intelligence. Many people are simply not interested in improving their intellect. Those who are truly smart are interested in increasing their information store, what I referred to earlier as Qc.

I just thirst for knowledge, even if it's nothing that will benefit me. I'm sure intellectual curiosity is a big part of intelligence.

Quote:
I don't think I have any inborn superiority, just more knowledge in certain subjects I worked hard to learn. But, as a female, I have also learned to never sound like I am bragging. People can know me for years without knowing I have a Ph.D., for example. (However, if the subject happens to come up, I mention it).
I'm sorry to disagree. You were just born with a better CPU and HDD.

I don't see where female comes in. There are both male and female braggarts. Actually I've never seen any study that found any gender difference in intelligence, not that that's what you were referring to. Just worth mentioning.

Just to strike an example, people of IQ 100 would probably find this topic boring. (Unless a fight breaks out, LOL!)
I can't help myself. I just need to feed the beast. I want to be a better writer, better artist, better musician, better everything...

People of IQ 100, average people, don't want this or need this. Everybody who is smart is on a quest for knowledge. That's the difference between 140 and 100, to take 2 standard deviations.

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-07-2018 at 11:35 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I never brag about being smart or knowing a lot. If there is a conversation about a subject I know about, I might say something. I don't think anyone has ever taken that as bragging, except my acquaintance Wacko who I wrote about in another thread. Sometimes men hate it when women know something they don't.
There isn't any point to bragging about being smart. Dumb people won't understand, smart people already know it after conversing with you for perhaps a short period.

I once was chatting with a Ph.D. friend (her degree in psychology) and she asked me to guess her IQ. I thought a bit and said, "150." She replied, "Damn! You're good." LOL, possibly a good guess.

Intelligence, like water, seeks its own level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
The test is invalid and essentially meaningless. Don't worry about it. "Gifted" people don't need to sit around and yap about their "giftedness", LOL!
There ya go. That's exactly it. Except in this topic which is a meta-intellectual discussion.

We have better things to do than patting ourselves and each other on our backs.

Gifted people don't chat about stuff, they just go do stuff.

Boredom is sometimes the result of being over-equipped and under-challenged. I find sometimes boredom is fun to do as a change from being goal oriented. I can handle not needing to challenge myself with anything. Like reading this topic. I'm half way and wondering where it's going...

10-ish in the evening, alone, feeling okay but not yet sleepy enough to go to bed, finding this topic interesting enough to read and hoping it will go somewhere interesting, listening to my favorite music on my sound system.

I'll do art and gym tomorrow, when I want to be challenged. Sometimes it's pleasurable to just put the brain in idle or perhaps in a low gear and drift along.

ETA:

Please pardon the series of posts, as I felt it necessary to read the entire topic, 17 pages, and reply where necessary in order to prepare myself for any continued discussion.

Last edited by Lovehound; 05-07-2018 at 11:33 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Facebook does not auto-correct. That's your browser if you experience auto-correction.

I have IT experience FWIW. I find it lame to blame auto-correct for grammatical errors. You can read what you typed and correct before posting. It's not like you can't see what you typed.

What intellectual group or personality group relaxes their standards when on FB? I increase my standards considering the large audience at FB. I double check before posting to such a potentially large audience.
You're special! Just like female INTJs...'nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology