Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you think you encounter someone who is "not right?"
Never 0 0%
Daily 24 36.92%
Weekly 13 20.00%
Monthly 7 10.77%
Every 3 Months 5 7.69%
Every 6 Months 3 4.62%
Yearly 4 6.15%
Fewer than once every few years. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most Americans have mental health issues, whether treated or not.
Sadly, this

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
There are a LOT of people out in the world with mental problems. Are there enough of them that you will meet one each day? I really don't think so, but it really depends on who is in your circles and where you hang out. I wouldn't be surprised though if the average person encountered one of these poor souls at least once every three to six months.

If you care to answer this thread or poll, how often do you think you encounter someone who is "not right?" I am not speaking of someone who is just a little odd, or different; but someone YOU MEET AND THINK can use the help of a mental professional?
If you are out in public then you will run across someone who has mental issues of some sort every day. Some are severe but most are not and can function fine each day...but dig deeper and you will find that most people have some issues. Usually about their past. I've also met a lot of whacky women that I just do not understand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 05:25 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,099 times
Every day. There is a woman living in the same house as I for the last year, sister of the landlady. Really out there, she does things like lick the gravy spoon then put it back in the gravy, doesn’t wash her hands after the toilet, opens other peoples mail and Christmas gifts. She arrived here after getting kicked out by her daughter who had had enough.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:16 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
If you are talking about City-Data, I could name about 5.
I can beat you, how about 10..

Old 02-17-2018, 06:21 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,511,169 times
Quote:
If you care to answer this thread or poll, how often do you think you encounter someone who is "not right?" I am not speaking of someone who is just a little odd, or different; but someone YOU MEET AND THINK can use the help of a mental professional?
It's a triggering question. People typically throw around terms they think they know what they mean to describe folks they don't like. They call others narcissistic or a sociopath when they have absolutely no idea what those terms really mean. Most of the time, they are calling that person a butthole, though they use the term for a donkey and not butt.

This is an asinine post, really. It's like those "experts" who see a mass shooting and suddenly think it must have been someone who is "mentally ill" whatever that terms means to them.

Guess what. Some mental health experts -- and I mean people with degrees in this and not just somebody with a computer and a C-D account -- don't think the mentally ill shoot up any school or concert or church.

Anger causes violence: Treat it rather than mental illness to stop mass murder.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Wow, the highest vote is "daily"? LOL I wonder where you guys live!

I voted every 6 months. I suppose I've got the opposite matter where I live; the people are too normal and similar. I'd welcome come craziness and unbalance to shake things up and melt the cold boring clone ways.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:06 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,448,063 times
OH.... I thought you meant how many were "Left" as in, I meet a lot of "not right -Leftists" but I usually don't engage them for long periods of time.

Seriously, since I work in urban environment, take public transit regularly, and walk about quite a bit I see them daily. They are mostly the ubiquitous homeless population.

On weekend when running errands I occasionally think I encounter a few. But, I'm the type who, while cognizant of my environment, likes to get the things I need and get out. Today in variety of stores there appeared to be a good number of depressed or simply zombie like milling around. I think it is mostly winter doldrums.

Old 02-17-2018, 07:22 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,903,116 times
I put six months because I own a couple of businesses and whenever you deal with the public, you encounter troubled and sometimes troublesome people. One is an online retail store, so crazy folks call occasionally. The other is a music studio and performance management business, and you get all sorts with that.

Examples include parents who are abusive to their kids, a mother who was clearly delusional about being in the Mafia, a lady from the Middle East who was fearful of the neighborhood cats, and people who lie constantly, try to steal, etc., etc. Mostly it's people who refuse to follow the lesson policies and behave strangely. One girl was clearly delusional, a couple of ex-military who scared me, the list just goes on and on, I guess. But for every crazy one there are scores of people with similar circumstances who are absolutely lovely.

If you own a business there is a steady stream of folks trying to deceive you, ruin your business, take your money. Competitors, scam artists. It's really a lot of fun, in some ways, but you have to be on your guard.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:04 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
My son "isn't right," if this is how you want to put it. He is autistic and intellectually delayed. He is sweet and a gentleman, very responsible and cares about everyone. He makes random sounds and he claps hard due to his autism. He also randomly blurts out pieces of things he has recently heard, probably very similar to the muttering and yelling as if to someone invisible as people are describing here. I am sure the majority here would be tickled to call him "not right" and might even come onto some random message board to post about that weird guy down the street and enter the I Know the Weirdest Person contest, brava.

My son is a better person than most people I know, approximately preschool level in practical application intellect and speech as well as emotionally, yet always trying to take care of his little brother and do an amazing job in his class per his capabilities. He bolsters his classmates all the time and his teachers adore him. He also loves animals. He will never live independently. Never be the head of a family. He won't ever drive. We worry all the time about what this sometimes very nasty world will decide to do to him once we are dead and can't protect him. 'Cause people can be AZZWHOLES. As we all see.

So, my answer is: daily.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:12 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
My son "isn't right," if this is how you want to put it. He is autistic and intellectually delayed. He is sweet and a gentleman, very responsible and cares about everyone. He makes random sounds and he claps hard due to his autism. He also randomly blurts out pieces of things he has recently heard, probably very similar to the muttering and yelling as if to someone invisible as people are describing here. I am sure the majority here would be tickled to call him "not right" and might even come onto some random message board to post about that weird guy down the street and enter the I Know the Weirdest Person contest, brava.

My son is a better person than most people I know, approximately preschool level in practical application intellect and speech as well as emotionally, yet always trying to take care of his little brother and do an amazing job in his class per his capabilities. He bolsters his classmates all the time and his teachers adore him. He also loves animals. He will never live independently. Never be the head of a family. He won't ever drive. We worry all the time about what this sometimes very nasty world will decide to do to him once we are dead and can't protect him. 'Cause people can be AZZWHOLES. As we all see.

So, my answer is: daily.
Why are you looking to be personally offended? The OP specifically says... In need of professional mental help." I am not an expert by any stretch, but I would say that if anything your son may need professional (or even casual) living assistance, but where in what you wrote about him does it indicate that your son needs a mental professional? I don't see it.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 02-17-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,981,735 times
Quote:
Why are you looking to be offended? The OP specifically says... In need of professional mental help." I am not an expert by any stretch, but I would say that if anything your son may need professional (or even casual) living assistance, but where in what you wrote about him does it indicate that your son needs a mental professional? I don't see it.
Actually, autism IS classified under the DSM (Diagnostic amnd Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and is, generally, diagnosed by psychiatrists or neuropsychs, and managed with therapies under mental health care. Autism does in fact require "professional mental help," including therapies, management of sensitivities, sometimes with medication, and so on. In addition, professional help with life skills, social skills and so on is generally indicated. My son has a psych and neuropsych, a speech therapist and occupational therapist. He is in no way unusual among his autistic friends with this group of professionals. Some require many more.

In addition to these, the district/school psych's presence is REQUIRED to be present at all IEPs (meetings) and is required to assess every 3 years formally. This is in addition to our private psych.

The OP doesn't know exactly what is "wrong" with the people appearing to mutter to themselves, and not understanding social cues or directives. Right? He just sees somebody muttering or not knowing when to get off an elevator and that is sufficient activity to qualify for "not right" status. The OP is the medical professional who knows who needs what type of mental help? By passing them on an elevator? Oh, he couldn't mean they're autistic though...nah, he meant...some other vague thing...? In that case I don't get the point.

They could be schizophrenic. They could be autistic. They could be simply intellectually delayed. Can we get some specific dividing line for where it's "okay" to say someone with a mental issue or disorder is "just not right"? That would be helpful.

As far as looking to be offended, I'd venture that neither I nor anyone else needs to look all that far when it comes to a premise like this one.

Last edited by JerZ; 02-17-2018 at 10:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology