Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Wash plastic silverware in the dishwasher.
I use the spoons mainly for cat food and randomly when I feel like punishing myself, I will eat with them.
My husband and I do that, too. My kids (grown) think it's the funniest thing they've ever seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 09:43 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Do you have any habits that other people may think are weird or odd? Mine is that when I’m at the store, sometimes I don’t grab items from the front of the shelf but from in the middle or back out of fear of the first one being “tainted” since it’s in the front.
LOL, I do the same thing. I am not worried about it being tainted, I just don't want to buy the item that might have been handled by multiple people and placed back on the shelf. I also might drive by my house a couple times to make sure that I closed the garage door. It has never been left open, but am still compelled to check it out to be sure.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I'll cop to the first thing that came into my head. My son saw me doing this and asked about it. It's not a compulsion, just something I do occasionally. I take my thumb and use it to press down on the other fingernails on that hand. If I start doing it I go back and forth almost like I'm counting something. I like the way it feels. There's a point on the nail that feels good if gently bitten. I don't put my hands in my mouth so I use my thumb to apply pressure. Weird, for sure. I can also press my nails against something (shifter handle on the console of my vehicle) and get that feeling. Nothing erotic (unless someone else is nibbling my fingers). Just when I'm bored or thinking.

My other half (who refuses to nibble) also compulsively takes the back items off the grocery shelves. Or at least NEVER the first one. I have to do it when we're shopping together or he'll put my selection back.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:03 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Wash plastic silverware in the dishwasher.
I use the spoons mainly for cat food and randomly when I feel like punishing myself, I will eat with them.
Have to say I chuckled. I'm an advocate for self punishment when needed. I will say my little dog could grab a bite of ice cream off my spoon and never touch her lips to the spoon so that was okay. She's not as skilled at it as she used to be so I save the last bite for her.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:43 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,786,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That is only odd if the word awesome has been retired.

I've always heard it's possible to get chickadees to come to hand, but it must take a lot of patience.
Thanks for the nice compliment.

It helps that in the spring, summer, and fall I'm sitting outside in the yard, painting at my patio table. The animals all get used to me and I just become a "fixture." Squirrels run across the tops of my feet, birds land on my paint bottles and check out my brushes. The chickadees are especially curious little friends. If the feeders are empty and they're hungry and I have seeds in my hand, they're coming for that seed. They'll "dee dee deeee" at me and then swoop... if I'm lucky, they'll land on my hand. But, yes, I do have to stand still like a statue and my arm gets very tired. I would never do that nonsense at a gym. But for the birds I will!

One day I was on my belly, feeding chipmunks in my yard. The chipmunks were eating seeds from my hand and suddenly something landed on my butt! A huge blackbird just plopped on my hiney and then when I jumped and yelped a little, he used my back as a runway, got his bird foot tangled in my big old hair as he was taking off... it was quite the banner day that day. I laughed so hard because I thought, "Well, this is my life now. Prostrate on the ground, covered in chipmunks with birds stuck in my hair. YAY!"

Old 02-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Some of these are just good "tips". Pulling from the back of the grocery shelf is just what you should do with foods that perish quickly, like bagged salads and raw chicken. Otherwise, you're going to get food very near its expiration date and isn't fresh.

Shaking canned tuna to see how much is water is also just careful shopping.

I hold my breath in public if someone walks by. In case they have BO. ;D

Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
I have more.

I always look at my reflection when I’m outside, whether it be car windows, building windows, or random mirrors.

I always constantly check to make sure I set my alarm (even if I’ve already done it) and make sure I turned the stove off and locked the door even though I know I already did. I can’t lay down and peacefully sleep unless I do those things.

I also position my phone apps to where the related ones are next to each other. Social media apps are next to each other, same with sports apps, news related apps, etc.
Do windows and mirrors shatter for you like they used to for Herman Munster?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:50 AM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Do you have any habits that other people may think are weird or odd? Mine is that when I’m at the store, sometimes I don’t grab items from the front of the shelf but from in the middle or back out of fear of the first one being “tainted” since it’s in the front.
I think.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:03 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I feed squirrels every single day. Usually there are about 2 dozen squirrels in my yard in the morning to greet me. I don't "put" peanuts out for them. I hand them peanuts personally. I throw peanuts directly to them like we're playing a game of "catch." Sometimes my aim is off and I'll bonk one in the butt. Then I have to say, "Oops! Sorry, Squirrel! I didn't mean to nail you in the rump." (Sounds worse when I type it out than it did in my head.) In the springtime, the chipmunks also get in on the action. I also feed chickadees from the palm of my hand. I'll stand with seeds in my hand and they will take turns grabbing seeds. I'm sure the neighbors think I'm cuckoo. I do not care. The squirrels love me.

I'll wait until you get more answers to share the rest of my weird and odd habits.
An acquaintance taught me to feed chickadees. He said you had to not swallow so they don't think you're a predator.

Right now I looked out my window and there's a hawk on the ground eating SOMETHING. I hope it's not a chickadee. And this just turned into a Nature thread.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:03 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I rip a paper towel in half for mealtime use. My husband and daughter tease me about it asking "Can we please have a whole paper towel?" I say no, unless we are eating something messy.

I will not eat Asian cuisine with a fork. I must use chopsticks.
My grandmother always used to use the paper towel and save it for later, dried out.

Me too!

But for meals I use napkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology