Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 05:16 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,982 times

Advertisements

Oh Eve
Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:22 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
I am out. Of. Control. Going to get on with trying to find good ED place to assist me-
Do you keep a journal of what you're feeling? It might help you to see a pattern with this.

Interesting blog about someone going through the same issues:
The Bulimic Brain | East Bay Express Article | Eating Disorder Research - Anorexia - Bulimia | Alta Bates Summit Medical Center

Old 02-21-2018, 07:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I have yet to see ANY addiction defeated because of professional help. Were it possible someone would have won the Nobel for their materialist cure.

Typically, at the end of treatment they direct patients to 12 step or other spiritual solutions, that's to say when the insurance money is exhausted they say try OA. It's free and it works.
How do account for the millions of people living sober or handling their food issues? Therapy helps when the person understands that THEY are ultimately responsible for changing their lives. Professional helps aids and guides them through the process of personal change.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Do you keep a journal of what you're feeling? It might help you to see a pattern with this.

The Bulimic Brain | East Bay Express Article | Eating Disorder Research - Anorexia - Bulimia | Alta Bates Summit Medical Center
To be honest no not really.... I made a half hearted attempt to log for a few days but it seemed pointless as I just continue to do it anyways

Old 02-22-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

I read that article-- wow, that is really profound- the brain of bulimia react or respond differently - I'm going to look up Alta Bates as well thank you!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How do account for the millions of people living sober or handling their food issues? Therapy helps when the person understands that THEY are ultimately responsible for changing their lives. Professional helps aids and guides them through the process of personal change.
Listen to their language,
they are recovering ing ing...
Forever recovering, the professionals even tell them "you'll always be recovering".
That's sheer ignorance.

In the big book of AA, they wrote over 80 yrs ago, " despite expert opinion to the contrary. We have recovered".

I recovered.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Forever recovering, the professionals even tell them "you'll always be recovering".
That's sheer ignorance.

In the big book of AA, they wrote over 80 yrs ago, " despite expert opinion to the contrary. We have recovered".

I recovered.
You've never heard of a 20 yr sober person relapsing? It happens. It happened to the OP. Don't get caught up in verbs. Some people will always be in a state of continual recovery.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
That's sheer ignorance.

I recovered.
Hubris....you're always "recovering" from cancer too. You can be hopeful and positive...but still vigilant.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:25 AM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
To be honest no not really.... I made a half hearted attempt to log for a few days but it seemed pointless as I just continue to do it anyways
Just that frequently feelings about which a person is unaware of can trigger an episode, and when they're written down, h/she can track them and possibly prevent going through the cycle again.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times
You are brave to admit this, OP. It's not something we like to talk about. I was afflicted with this from age 16 to mid-30s (I'm 62).

My best friend in high school and I were reading about models who controlled their weight this way, in a TV guide way back then. We thought it was really clever, a way of "getting away with" something. We could binge, and still be in control. Neither of us was overweight, but I wanted to be SLIM.

In my 17-yr. relationship after that, he never knew until the last year of it. I was able to quit on my own but it was a real struggle. I was prevented from future relapses because it just "quit working". Nothing would come up, and I lost my desire for junk food or desserts after that.

I think it had lasting ramifications though---from losing the enamel on my teeth to feeling permanently bloated. I can only eat a small amount, and only one meal a day. I get jealous of those who can enjoy a nice breakfast AND a lunch. And dinner. I consider food as my enemy.

At times I wish I could just not eat at all. So much of social life is centered around food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology