Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 11:06 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times

Advertisements

There is no point that people stop being able to relate to the issues of younger people. There are just people that cannot relate to the issues of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:02 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
The attitude OP describes is exactly what's killing ham radio as a hobby.
You wanna elaborate on that? I've been licensed over 50 years, Extra Class license, recently re-entered the hobby mainly because many of my 50 year long buddies are on the same UHF system (covers CA, AZ, dunno where else) and I bought a Kenwood H/T just to chat with them. — I'll admit there seem to be a few problems on the system and I'm trying to figure out what they are. A few of the members don't seem to realize that I was the person who pioneered the first repeater on a mountain that became one of their main repeaters. I think it might have been one of their young members thinking I was a new member when I was simply returning to using a repeater I originally installed. (This probably won't make sense to non-hams. Repeaters on mountain tops are equivalent to Internet backbone relays, except for audio not data. They allow mobiles and handie-talkies to communicate over hundreds of miles or more.)

For the record I think that elimination of the Morse code requirement is partly to blame, and that allowing people with inferior electronic knowledge is the main part of the rest of the reason. In the words of old timers, most of the new hams are appliance operators, little more than glorified CB operators. I know one woman who knows nothing about electronics and memorized her way to a General Class license. At the time she had to pass the 5 wpm code test. She memorized the letters on flash cards. She'd never heard actual Morse code until the test. — I will say though that she is an exceptional woman, one of the most amazing people I've ever met. She got her license to surprise her hubby (one of my BFFs) and when she got the ticket she put it in an envelope and tucked it under his dinner plate as a surprise! — I have a lot of pretty high quality friends! Oh, and some of them are young people.

Last edited by Lovehound; 03-05-2018 at 06:13 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
There is no point that people stop being able to relate to the issues of younger people. There are just people that cannot relate to the issues of other people.
No, I think there is a point where some people just fossilize out of all social relations, and other people like me tune in to them.

I've embraced youth culture, except for safe places and crying rooms and all that liberal dreck. I've picked the best part of youth (friends, music, slang) and skip the "finding my inner immature self" part of it.

I lay the problems of post-boomer generations upon liberal teachers and professors who are teaching their students how to be perfect babies.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskyfromrain View Post
Um... we didn't have the internets when we were young. Personally, I expect a LOT more from say a 23 year old w/ access to such a vast resource. I know if I had it, my life would have been much different. It is good, but I can't even imagine what it would have been with it.
With all this access to new data sources I would expect later generations to be more informed, more successful, but what I'm seeing is the exact opposite.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:36 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
IMO, the inability to relate is more related to lifestyle than age.

My parents are both 60. Both are "homebodies," and that's being polite about it. He works 4x10 Monday - Thursday, and she works a standard 8-5. He mows and does house work on Fridays. They spend Saturday doing the grocery stores and shopping. Sundays are for laundry and vegging out in front of the TV.

Getting them to deviate from this routine is basically impossible. Going to the grocery store during the week so you can have fun on the weekend is verboten. They might take an overnight trip once a year. They haven't been on a week's vacation in nearly a decade. He's had a substantial income increase in the past year and they could afford a vacation. I don't know if they're truly happy with this lifestyle or not, but they don't deviate from it.

I'm not like that at all. I do my laundry, housework, etc., during the week so I can spend my weekends doing things I want to do, not just playing catch up. I like to take weekend trips and such. I know plenty of people my age who are also sticks in the mud. I know older people who live active, robust lifestyles.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
With all this access to new data sources I would expect later generations to be more informed, more successful, but what I'm seeing is the exact opposite.
Really? Come to Austin, and see late 20somethings buying 500,000K condos on their own nickel.

I'm seeing a wildly successful generation.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:32 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
To a young kid, 63 is ancient.

Heck, when you're 20 yrs. old, 27 seems old.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:06 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Generally, when they stop wanting to, I think. It doesn't have to happen.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Heck, when you're 20 yrs. old, 27 seems old.
Lol True!!

Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskyfromrain View Post
Um... we didn't have the internets when we were young. Personally, I expect a LOT more from say a 23 year old w/ access to such a vast resource. I know if I had it, my life would have been much different. It is good, but I can't even imagine what it would have been with it.

When you say them, do you mean you?
I'm a solid GenXer, and as such, am a member of the generation that straddled the digital revolution...grew up analog, was in college and a young adult when widespread access to internet, various tech innovations really exploded for the general population.

What you say is true...however, while the "Millenial" generation has always had comparatively unfettered and effortless access to information, the other side of that sword is that loads of it has been unvetted/just plain bad information. The knowledge you obtain is only as high of quality as the resources from which you obtained it. There are few gatekeepers online, so the learning has built-in limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology