Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:23 PM

818 posts, read 456,608 times

Advertisements

Eh people.

Yaknow, atm l feel like l have to be careful mentally that l don't get too negative right now.

Do you think or has it been proven maybe , a positive frame of mind, positive thinking, keeping negativity out, really changes anything ?

Does it really matter if we just be miserable until things start to turn ?

Or, if we wanna get right down into the nitty gritty, down into the guts of life, the mind, how things work and happen, do you think the will, the frame of mind, can make things happen or bring on what we desire ?

Last edited by hawk101; 03-05-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I definitely think it can help you cope with the shyte until the good stuff comes along.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It for sure makes life more pleasant for you and those around you.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:40 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
I was going to ask this question in "Interior Design" but perhaps this is the right location after all.

For the past two days, I have started putting my art work up in my home and right now, I am feeling like I don't have a care in the world........despite it being just Tuesday, that I have another class to teach in addition to my full time job, that there are other things I need to do this week, that there are things demanding money, money, money.

I've had Jon Schaub's "Jazz Power" (I bought it in the 80s and not off Ebay) re-framed for weeks. It has been sitting around in the living room, waiting for me to get the ladder out of the den. Well, on Sunday, I did that, and now it is up on the wall in the kitchen, to encourage me to eat properly, with its own collage around it.

Monday, I put up one of my 24X36 80s ballet prints and despite it being nothing easy, took forever to get the wall hooks to connect with the "loops" on the back of the frame while standing on a 12 foot ladder, I did push through and got it done.

Why? Because this is who I am, these are things that let me feel good about myself.

I could sit around, "recharging" till the next time I have to go out again...........or I can get up and do something about it. Get up and let my home play to me, recharge me, and not having it drain me.

I've lived like that, in the apartments, and it's no fun! If you don't get up to change things, they aren't going to change on their own. Find the spark that enables one to enjoy live and expand on it.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:22 AM

818 posts, read 456,608 times
What l wonder though is does it really make any difference in goals.
Say career, love , that house or the life you want.?

Ya hear a lot about positive thinking in that sense but l wonder if it really can make something happen , or does it just help keep you in a good place mentally while your working on the rest ?

Old 03-06-2018, 04:42 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
The only way I can get out of negative thinking is by praying. It changes my state of mind. Then everything around me changes, sometimes it's like a miracle.

When I pray, I have to let go of my own ideas about how things should be, and I have to let God take over my life. So it's hard to do, but more than worth it.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
What l wonder though is does it really make any difference in goals.
Say career, love , that house or the life you want.?

Ya hear a lot about positive thinking in that sense but l wonder if it really can make something happen , or does it just help keep you in a good place mentally while your working on the rest ?
Me, I often use personalty overlays; I have talked about them a lot in my blogs.

How much can it change? Let's take the Cowgirl/Red Riding Hood overlay. As a point, the Cowgirl overlay is pretty well established but not the Red Riding Hood. When I got up from yesterday's morning sleep, before I went off and taught class in afternoon, that was the overlay that took effect.....and I didn't even have to "activate" it.

There in my kitchen, under the view of "Jazz Power", I made a lunch breakfast (scrambled eggs-fish soft tacos), listening to Stevie Nicks, seeing the world from or in harmony of my surrounding forest.

Does it really make any difference? Well, YES!

It drops my background stress, it can shift anger, if present, to a way it can usefully utilized. Let's take "Racquel" who, most often in concept, is an immortal imp focused on fun. If someone narrowly misses me in the cross walk, as it happened once, and I need to focus on a part, shifting into "Racquel" can immediately dismiss that anger because my view point changes. "What's the point of being angry over a momentary incident when you are immortal?".

Now, it isn't perfect. There are times when my stress is too high to be dropped quickly. "Racquel" can be activated in 7 seconds.....and dispelled, unintentionally, just as quick.

But having a positive mode of thinking that I can enter at will I have found to be quite useful.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:02 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Someone who is positive has less stress which in turn is healthier. So yes, being positive has benefits.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:09 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I don't know if it will from a law of attraction type point of view, but it can help you cope with what does come your way.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,187,366 times
I read a book on this topic, more or less, OP:

Bright-Sided - How Positive Thinking is Undermining America
by Barbara Ehrenreich

She wrote Nickel and Dimed, which I am a fan of and was a very popular book.

If you like to read I recommend it. She writes in an accessible way so it is pleasant to read so even if you aren't a fan of nonfiction you likely will still enjoy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-sided-.../dp/0312658850
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology