Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 11:25 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why some people get SO offended when someone disagrees with them or calls them out when they say something that doesn't make sense. It's not about being nasty or rude it's just about being truthful, realistic, respectful, and open minded. I don't like having conversations that are full of deflections, passive aggressiveness, self righteousness, intellectual dishonesty, and especially hypocrisy.

That stuff annoys the living crap out of me. I'm trying to work on walking away from conversations like that because it shows that people who are experts at those things are not trying to have a real discussion/debate. They more than likely just want validation for their views, and that's fine. Just don't try to disguise it as a debate, because that's not what it is.

You can express how you feel, without putting down people who don't agree with you. Ad Hominem attacks are not conducive to intellectual discussions/debates.

Last edited by Auraliea; 03-17-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 12:04 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't understand why some people get SO offended when someone disagrees with them or calls them out when they say something that doesn't make sense. It's not about being nasty or rude it's just about being truthful, realistic, and open minded. I don't like having conversations that are full of deflections, passive aggressiveness, self righteousness, intellectual dishonesty, and especially hypocrisy.

That stuff annoys the living crap out of me. I'm trying to work on walking away from conversations like that because it shows that people who are experts at those things are not trying to have a real discussion/debate. They more than likely just want validation for their views, and that's fine. Just don't try to disguise it as a debate, because that's not what it is.

You can express how you feel, without putting down people who don't agree with you. Ad Hominem attacks are not conducive to intellectual discussions/debates.
Yes, conversations should have balance. I like discussions here and in real life where there is an honest mix of respectfully delivered differing viewpoint, constructive criticism and encouragement. I get nothing out of it, when talk is all nicey nicey or nothing but one upmanship.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:11 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I think blogging might be a better option for some.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-17-2018, 12:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't understand why some people get SO offended when someone disagrees with them or calls them out when they say something that doesn't make sense. It's not about being nasty or rude it's just about being truthful, realistic, respectful, and open minded. I don't like having conversations that are full of deflections, passive aggressiveness, self righteousness, intellectual dishonesty, and especially hypocrisy.

I don't get offended but I don't like being attacked for what I believe in. And then some want to debate and debate etc////I don't...for me I just say "we just agree to disagree" after a couple exchanges maybe. I have seen new people come and go in the short time I'm here as they've been attacked by others who don't even want to keep a somewhat open mind to other options. And their choices for their well being.

Life is Full of Alternatives and Options in Everything!!!!

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-17-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 03-17-2018, 12:52 PM

388 posts, read 474,004 times
Yes, City-Data posters can be very unpleasant. That's why I visit CD less than other forums.

There seems to be a lot of older-adolescent male teens here. Or perhaps just people stuck in that level of "maturity."

And there are some intelligent, helpful people here, too. So I come back. Many thanks to you intelligent, helpful people!

Old 03-17-2018, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,565 times
Unhappy Road Rage On The Information Superhighway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The internet is full of hostile posters. When people can hide behind anonymity with no fear of actually meeting the person they are hostile to, they go wild.
I believe that this runs along the same lines as real-life road rage.

Some people feel so powerless when it comes to the complications of life that they have a need go on a power-trip of some sort.

Some get inside of their two-ton (or more) vehicles and become menaces to people sharing the highway with them.

Others hide behind their computers.

Some do things along these lines (i.e. putting people down in response to their remarks) while others will do things such as even acting as if they're interested in becoming a couple with someone and, then, playing an opposite tune and acting as if the "mark" is living in a fantasy world and stalking them. Or else talking someone (usually, a teen) into sending scantily-dressed and/or nude pictures to the person who has fooled her (could also be him, but it's usually a girl) and, then, circulating those pictures on the Internet.

The name of this activity is "pigging," and I recently saw a news report about how this pushed a high school girl into taking her own life.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:14 PM

52,232 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Yes, City-Data posters can be very unpleasant. That's why I visit CD less than other forums.

There seems to be a lot of older-adolescent male teens here. Or perhaps just people stuck in that level of "maturity."

And there are some intelligent, helpful people here, too. So I come back. Many thanks to you intelligent, helpful people!
The relationship forum is full of women hating jag off's and the POC forum is full of too many wing nuts. I like when people can be reasonable and have polite discourse, but that is sorta rare anymore.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:34 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think blogging might be a better option for some.
This makes more sense as each day passes, I agree!

A handful of the most, ahem, prolific posters really don't want feedback...just want to run their mouths off.

Old 03-17-2018, 03:24 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
It's pleasurable to insult others to some people.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I consider myself a "nice" and reasonable person and I rarely get these kinds of attacks (it does happen though. Sometimes people really pick apart a post of mine in order to get offended and then launch an all out attack. I just ignore them because they knew what I meant, they're just trying to look good by being offended)
Agreed. If everyone was was "mean to me" and picking on me, if I kept seeing Lynch mobs and thought they were all like-minded chimps hi 5ing each other, instead of the lone crap flinging chimp who pauses to beat his chest and no one is impressed, if the groups of snipers kept creeping out to ambush me in droves... I guess it would mean I'm posting illogical things that are easily proven wrong, and it's not all these groups of meanies, but me. I am the odd one. I am making crap up and not giving others enough credit to realize they aren't just guessing I'm talking out of my ass, but they could probably prove it, if they cared enough and weren't pretty sure I'd just lie and pretend they were on ignore because I have no excuse.

IF I thought people were being "mean".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology