Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 08:48 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been tempted to put people on Ignore, but I can ignore them when I see their username, as I know before hand what they will be saying. Often I'll read a little of what they say and get a chuckle and go on....it's all so nuts when you really think about...some try to help others, and some try to save others from those trying to help. grrrrrrrrrr...
I've done that, and have also learned to ignore the snarky comments...reason being, they're simply trying very hard to push your buttons....

There are all kinds of people on the internet...some are so genuine and nice...others are confrontational...and others love to look for negativity in people just to pull them down, it makes them feel so powerful....best to just ignore them.

for the most part CD is a lot milder than other forums, due to the mods...they nip it in the bud pretty quickly....keeping it fair...so.....

and yeah, I believe those that come into threads and attack the opinions of others, really don't like that person for whatever reasons, and I've seen stalkers do the same thing...ignore them...and simply move on...they nothing but words on a screen.

Others are truly looking for help...

me, I care about people to...care about society and am a deep thinker....my perspectives aren't always right, but in the same, those who offer constructive posts are welcomed...and gives one something to think about...just pass over the ones that are attacking, and cruel....for the most part, CD members are great....

Old 04-04-2018, 09:16 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Still amazing how negativity gets perpetuated by the same small handful of posters complaining repeatedly about negativity.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

Old 04-04-2018, 09:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,908,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
for the most part CD is a lot milder than other forums, due to the mods...they nip it in the bud pretty quickly....
I agree; this is a much safer place than USENET, Maestronet, and a great number of other places including threads on YouTube and Facebook. Once you learn what the rules are, what is acceptable and what is not, and how to Ignore people with consistently negative attitudes, you're fine.

It really is as anonymous as you want it to be, which is also nice.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 AM

221 posts, read 484,229 times
I stepped away from this forum awhile for that reason...rather than having a respectful conversation some people felt the need to attack, be condescending, and argumentative in general.

Then again, unfortunately, there are just heartless souls out there lurking on the forum. Whether they are trolls, psycho or sociopaths they walk among us. I've been learning to just keep my mouth shut and scroll through those people if not block them on forums here and alike.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdriver View Post
I stepped away from this forum awhile for that reason...rather than having a respectful conversation some people felt the need to attack, be condescending, and argumentative in general.

Then again, unfortunately, there are just heartless souls out there lurking on the forum. Whether they are trolls, psycho or sociopaths they walk among us. I've been learning to just keep my mouth shut and scroll through those people if not block them on forums here and alike.
Yeah, it's the same group of people. Consistently negative, argumentative, and passively-aggressive in a manner calculated to upset other posters while not sufficiently insulting to get reprimanded or booted off. Very clever until you recognize their methods.

I refuse to acknowledge them.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Yeah, it's the same group of people. Consistently negative, argumentative, and passively-aggressive in a manner calculated to upset other posters while not sufficiently insulting to get reprimanded or booted off. Very clever until you recognize their methods.

I refuse to acknowledge them.
yes, I do that myself, ignore them, they are feeding off of any reply you give, makes them happy to be confrontational....and some people actually do believe you are attacking them, and take a post personal...when you don't know them at all...just take note of those who become so defensive instead of adding to the conversation, it's borderline assults, provoking you, so that you attack them and get the thread shut down. And it is in fact the same people who accuse others of being negative and nasty.... LOL, crazy isn't it?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
yes, I do that myself, ignore them, they are feeding off of any reply you give, makes them happy to be confrontational....and some people actually do believe you are attacking them, and take a post personal...when you don't know them at all...just take note of those who become so defensive instead of adding to the conversation, it's borderline assults, provoking you, so that you attack them and get the thread shut down. And it is in fact the same people who accuse others of being negative and nasty.... LOL, crazy isn't it?
Yes!! That's one of the really amusing parts. And a sure sign of at least a budding psychopathy: gaslighting people, throwing confusion into the mix, causing people to doubt themselves. It's calculated. It's not accidental. And you can't defeat them with reason or emotional appeals.

It's just basically evil. Get somebody to send you the $hit-list that's making the rounds and put all the folks on it on your Ignore list.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Yes!! That's one of the really amusing parts. And a sure sign of at least a budding psychopathy: gaslighting people, throwing confusion into the mix, causing people to doubt themselves. It's calculated. It's not accidental. And you can't defeat them with reason or emotional appeals.

It's just basically evil. Get somebody to send you the $hit-list that's making the rounds and put all the folks on it on your Ignore list.
I don't use the ignore list much anymore...as I'm growing older, I just don't care any longer...no longer need to care...lol...and pretty soon, I guess I won't care about society and where it's going, cuz, I'm at the "jumpin off place" as she said, in the movie, "fried green tomatoes" LOL

seriously, you reach a point where you cut these kinds of people out of your life, a negative post doesn't bother me any longer...years ago, it used to....wow, did it ever...but now, I can see where they are coming from and pssst, by those kind of posts, they are showing their true selves.

And I have no intention of responding...it would be a waste of time to do so.

forums are for discussions, no one is attacking anyone, by posting their thoughts and feelings on subjects, however, no matter how you try and to explain that, it seems impossible for some to grasp...so ya just gotta move on.

There are a lot of good people here posting that do add to the discussion and it thru them I've learned

Old 04-04-2018, 10:59 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:

Lots of gaslighting. I never even knew what that was until I experienced it here a couple years ago.

Also exaggerating like crazy. I had posted in the teaching forum that I had curved an exam grade, and someone here said I would get the college's accreditation revoked for doing that. I was also told it was "bizarre" to curve an exam.

Before that, I had stupidly posted that I had no recent teaching experience, and needed advice.

That was a signal for them to rush in and do anything possible to make me feel the job was too much for me.

I'm sure that if I posted about something wonderful that happened, where I felt appreciated, I would get slammed even harder for bragging.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:28 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
I've done that, and have also learned to ignore the snarky comments...reason being, they're simply trying very hard to push your buttons....

There are all kinds of people on the internet...some are so genuine and nice...others are confrontational...and others love to look for negativity in people just to pull them down, it makes them feel so powerful....best to just ignore them.

for the most part CD is a lot milder than other forums, due to the mods...they nip it in the bud pretty quickly....keeping it fair...so.....

and yeah, I believe those that come into threads and attack the opinions of others, really don't like that person for whatever reasons, and I've seen stalkers do the same thing...ignore them...and simply move on...they nothing but words on a screen.

Others are truly looking for help...

me, I care about people to...care about society and am a deep thinker....my perspectives aren't always right, but in the same, those who offer constructive posts are welcomed...and gives one something to think about...just pass over the ones that are attacking, and cruel....for the most part, CD members are great....
It's taken some time, but the biggest "attackers" have their agendas and I've been able to figure that one out. Then they do have their mob lynchers jump on. Almost comical, but it took some time...I've never had the meanness at other groups as here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology