Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2018, 03:08 PM

486 posts, read 992,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The bashing continued and intensified and ran its predictable course. I was diagnosed and told I needed professional help.
LOL! Isn't *that* the truth. I have been told on C-D (usually by high volume posters - people who have 10,000+ posts) that I need professional help. I wish I was a perfect person living a perfect life, and spending 24/7/365 on C-D writing tens of thousands of posts diagnosing people and giving out professional advice.

Alas, I am not independently wealthy, I must work my minimum wage job to survive. I also have a life (with many problems), so I seldom post on C-D. I have been here for 7 years and I still have less than 500 posts. But I still check out this forum here and there and post occasionally. I can honestly say (at least I don't remember) ever telling anyone on C-D that they needed professional help. I would feel weird saying that to someone I have never met, even if it is on an anonymous forum.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:13 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Lol. A thread on posters that "attack" while attacking those posters. Lawd.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:42 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Lol. A thread on posters that "attack" while attacking those posters. Lawd.
I guess posters should just sit back and get attacked without defending themselves?

Old 04-22-2018, 04:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem is when something that is factually incorrect is repeated over and over again. Opinions are OK. Trying to pass off opinion as fact is not.
This is a common problem on the internet in general. It gives people an over-inflated sense of self-importance.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:01 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I don't know that it's necessarily that people follow individuals around to be mean. I think it's more likely that posters jump around to different forums, and the people who are frequent posters are going to see the same people on different forums. Plain and simple.

But I'll say this, if you are posting on different forums, altogether different forums, and you're always falling in to drama, it would seem worthy to at least CONSIDER that maybe there IS something about yourself that needs to be examined. There might be value in that.
I thought the whole point was to post about drama, about unusual or problematic things. If I post that I had a nice day, would that interest anyone?

After I decided I had to quit posting about problems, I did post about a couple of nice things that happened. Those posts were mostly ignored, of course.

Most of the time, most of us go through each day with very little drama. Here and there especially nice things happen, and occasionally we encounter difficulty.

It seemed obvious to me that the main reason for posting here in the psychology forum was to discuss problems.

So, because some of us dared to post about problems, that convinced you that all we have in our lives is one problem after another.

I honestly think you should look at why there are CD members who enjoy looking down at anyone who posts about their problems. I know I have been mobbed and gaslighted at CD forums, more than once. I should have learned from the first time but I hate to admit it took several.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I thought the whole point was to post about drama, about unusual or problematic things. If I post that I had a nice day, would that interest anyone? Ummm, yeah, actually. There are plenty of times someone posts some good news, and many people (including the 'mean' people are happy for them and say so.

After I decided I had to quit posting about problems, I did post about a couple of nice things that happened. Those posts were mostly ignored, of course.

Most of the time, most of us go through each day with very little drama. Here and there especially nice things happen, and occasionally we encounter difficulty. And what I said was IF you are going to different forums, and drama seems to find you, then it's worth considering you're responsibility in the drama. If you've decided that posting about your problems creates drama that you don't like, than good for you in recognizing that, and not posting your problems.

It seemed obvious to me that the main reason for posting here in the psychology forum was to discuss problems.

So, because some of us dared to post about problems, that convinced you that all we have in our lives is one problem after another. I don't know you, and I haven't been 'mean' to you. What do you mean "that convinced you"? Are you confusing disagreeing with you being the same as being mean to you? And why conflate things? I, for one, have never said you have one problem after another. I'll say it again, I don't know you.

I honestly think you should look at why there are CD members who enjoy looking down at anyone who posts about their problems. I know I have been mobbed and gaslighted at CD forums, more than once. I should have learned from the first time but I hate to admit it took several.
And I honestly think you should do some self examining. There are plenty of people who post about their problems, and there are plenty of people (some of them, the ones you accuse) who give kindly advice.

It would seem that if YOU are constantly being gas lighted or mobbed as you put it, then some of the issue is YOU.

Like I said, this particular topic went 15 DAYS without anyone posting in it, until someone came to complain about someone being mean. I swear, it's like picking at a scab.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And I honestly think you should do some self examining. There are plenty of people who post about their problems, and there are plenty of people (some of them, the ones you accuse) who give kindly advice.

It would seem that if YOU are constantly being gas lighted or mobbed as you put it, then some of the issue is YOU.

Like I said, this particular topic went 15 DAYS without anyone posting in it, until someone came to complain about someone being mean. I swear, it's like picking at a scab.
+1.

I have posted about an issue before, I wanted and accepted all points of view. Even those that I didn't love. It gave me some things to think about and look within. If I wanted hugs & unicorns, I probably would have sought out family/friends or a specific forum on the subject.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:46 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
+1.

I have posted about an issue before, I wanted and accepted all points of view. Even those that I didn't love. It gave me some things to think about and look within. If I wanted hugs & unicorns, I probably would have sought out family/friends or a specific forum on the subject.
+2

Every so often I look back at stuff I've written (when I'm the OP) and SMH at myself. I never expect the repartee here to be real therapy or to not have to sift through a bunch of useless responses, but I often read enough to make me slow my own thought train down on my initial post about a topic.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM
SFX

1,636 posts, read 892,171 times
Expecting the random anonymous internet to care about and respect you is like thinking random strangers in New Delhi will care deeply about your losing your wallet.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
+2

Every so often I look back at stuff I've written (when I'm the OP) and SMH at myself. I never expect the repartee here to be real therapy or to not have to sift through a bunch of useless responses, but I often read enough to make me slow my own thought train down on my initial post about a topic.

Same here! I once posted something, where another poster said I was acting unhinged. LOL

I did not particularly agree with her assessment, but it DID make me take a step back and cool my jets regarding the histrionics I may or may not have created. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology