Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 10:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This may explain the recent plethora of threads whose topics are essentially "why is everyone dumb except me"?
Sometimes a post may be interpreted like that because the writer is articulate, well read, authoritative (versus authoritarian, which is a different matter)--when in fact it is resentment powering the response. Hatred, really. Reflective negative responses, observed historically in someone's posts, is sort of insane.

Scary. And smart people just avoid interaction. Probably the wiser course.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:09 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Welp, denigrating and gas lighting others is pleasurable to some people. It's pretty obvious, but one component of that sort of character is a mistaken attitude of superiority, the notion that other people are stupid, that kindness is a sign of weakness. It's just basically evil. And ubiquitous.
I totally agree there is no reason to be mean BUT sometimes people who think they are nice actually aren't. There are plenty of people who think they are kind, considerate and open-minded when they're just the opposite. Not everyone has an accurate image of themselves.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:21 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
It's also "best" to not snark at somebody and call them names. But listen, we can get into trouble for bickering, so on my side, I'm stopping. If you want the last word, knock yourself out.

Given that I got the information I needed, I have no complaint.
You asked why your thread went downhill and posters are trying to point out the reasons. But you want to disagree with those reasons?
I want to point out that your opening post was somewhat vague, especially your first sentence, and your question wasn't entirely clear. Your second post didn't clear things up and by your third post you were getting defensive. Then after you finally clear things up and get to the actual point of your thread you start chiding people. Those people may not have been giving the answers you wanted but they were trying to tell you how to get the advice they thought you were looking for. The bullying in that thread went both ways, and you pretty much set the tone with your responses.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I totally agree there is no reason to be mean BUT sometimes people who think they are nice actually aren't. There are plenty of people who think they are kind, considerate and open-minded when they're just the opposite. Not everyone has an accurate image of themselves.
I'm really not suggesting there's no reason to be mean, exactly. There *is* an underlying reason: mental illness. But if you're saying there's no genuine justification, I agree.

Also, what you're saying about how most folks don't have an accurate assessment of their own character is absolutely correct. I've noticed that in myself and others and there's a lot of research to support it. Probably a good topic for another thread, but yeah. Ouch! But yeah.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You asked why your thread went downhill and posters are trying to point out the reasons. But you want to disagree with those reasons?
I want to point out that your opening post was somewhat vague, especially your first sentence, and your question wasn't entirely clear. Your second post didn't clear things up and by your third post you were getting defensive. Then after you finally clear things up and get to the actual point of your thread you start chiding people. Those people may not have been giving the answers you wanted but they were trying to tell you how to get the advice they thought you were looking for. The bullying in that thread went both ways, and you pretty much set the tone with your responses.
I'm not the OP. In fact, my first post on this thread was #24.

Where did I ask why my thread went downhill? (It's not my thread!)

Do you have me confused with someone else? My posts don't conform with your complaints.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:45 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:

Do you have me confused with someone else? My posts don't conform with your complaints.

Check out post #372 of this thread a couple pages back.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:49 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:

Sorry, forgot to add the relevant quote, but it does sort of point out how confusing it can be when someone assumes that others should understand what they want advice or help with when details are not forthcoming. oops!
Was referring to this older post you made:
Quote:
I consider myself a "nice" person--don't know if that's accurate. But please tell me: what did I do wrong on this thread and are these people bullying me? 'Cause that's what it feels like:

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...endations.html

Being online can lead to a certain amount of paranoia. I quit here briefly but returned to posting because of the animal cruelty thread, where I thought I could make a meaningful contribution.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Check out post #372 of this thread a couple pages back.
Oh, okay. Well thank you.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:02 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
- Some take advantage of being anonymous and enjoy putting down others.

- Some are rude just because they are just plain rude people.

- Some think their responses are not unkind yet are perceived by others as being mean.

For those who are just plain aggravating, the Ignore list is priceless!

Old 06-05-2018, 05:19 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Yes yes yes 1000x yes!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology