Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 PM

24,699 posts, read 9,515,086 times

Advertisements

One thing I do personally is post articles and sources when I make a debatable thread.

If you make a thread without any source for certain topics, some folks are ready to tear your head off.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,325,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
One thing I do personally is post articles and sources when I make a debatable thread.

If you make a thread without any source for certain topics, some folks are ready to tear your head off.
well, I used to feel the same way, but, upon posting sources, I then had people tell me, those sources were not credible... and I spent all that important time, searching for proof, so I don't search any more. I just post, if they don't believe me, so be it, and also, I found in searching that things I found on the internet years ago, are no longer there, as they were taken down, so?????

Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,479,146 times
There have been an abundance of these types of thread topics, and numerous discussions as a result. Ultimately, as it pertains to a web forum, I think it always boils down to anonymity.

A) They can't see me, therefore, I can be more brazen without the repercussions or consequences that I'd face in real life.

B) I can't see them, therefore, I don't have to physically observe the harm I'm doing to them with my pointed words/message.

Last edited by Left-handed; 07-19-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 07-19-2018, 11:06 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,325,016 times
yupper and some women can not only be bullies, but pull their cliches together to attack others....
all for a difference of opinion, and here's the sad part, they are raising their kids to be the very same way.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,324,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hear you, and a person just posted some good info and mis-spelled a word, so a member had to correct that person. It's like it makes them superior. We all knew what the poster meant.

I know one member corrected me a while back on the word avocado, I had spelled it wrong, and they corrected me and now I never spell it wrong. But it's all so small in this big life.

All in all, there are more good apples than bad seeds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, your so right, but it's so childish and immature....so ignore it, they do it to everyone....nothing new....just keep thinking, they love you so much...lol...ignore the toxic ones....it's actually a gang mentality....
And this is the takeway in all of it.

Sometimes it's difficult and it's hurtful but as crème said it really is best to ignore, that's really the best solution because then they've not been given any ammunition to continue.

Sadly, they then go looking for another target.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:54 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,479,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
And this is the takeway in all of it.

Sometimes it's difficult and it's hurtful but as crème said it really is best to ignore, that's really the best solution because then they've not been given any ammunition to continue.

Sadly, they then go looking for another target.
But m'pride!

Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 PM

390 posts, read 308,193 times
Yeah, I agree. Someone called me a "troll" on the Birmingham (Alabama) forum because I asked about the construction (post #5). I have no idea where that came from. Hostility for no reason.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:04 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,138,531 times
When you’re with a group of people and detour from what others believe, it can turn into a gang or stalking, trolling type of mentality. Or another thing I’ve found,is the folks who read your posts and have such a completely different take on what you meant to say. You might be talking one thing, then someone swoops in from left field and next thing you know, the conversation got completely turned around.

Anyway, I don’t let this bother me, there are other friends to reach out to online who can make you smile or laugh. No reason to be miserable on CD.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:32 PM

855 posts, read 625,625 times
Quote:
well, I used to feel the same way, but, upon posting sources, I then had people tell me, those sources were not credible...
I've seen that before; it's almost like a moving of the goal-posts.

What I would probably do next time I encounter that is ask the
person what they would consider a “credible” source, and then
I'd just post that source's coverage of whatever-it-was I was
sharing from other sources. If the information is objectively
true, and the source(s) they see as credible are also honest,
then it will have that same info I've already been sharing from
elsewhere, and those proverbial goal-posts will finally stop
moving. Hopefully.

-

Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 PM

29,759 posts, read 34,454,278 times
Quote:
well, I used to feel the same way, but, upon posting sources, I then had people tell me, those sources were not credible... and I spent all that important time, searching for proof, so I don't search any more. I just post, if they don't believe me, so be it, and also, I found in searching that things I found on the internet years ago, are no longer there, as they were taken down, so?????
But when you're making a claim, there is a difference between finding information that's found only on some guy's opinion blog, and an article by a legitimate journalist or scientist backed up by multiple credible sources.

Generally there can be bullies online who use the anonymity of the internet to get away with incivility, but on the flip side there are also posters who ask leading questions or post baseless accusations and when their arguments are challenged (not even them personally, just their statements) clutch their pearls and complain about how mean everyone is.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-20-2018 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology