Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 05:48 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
On city-data forum, the **** throwing chimpanzees accuse their targets of **** throwing. Seemingly perfect alibi. Then they form a lynch mob and justify each other's behavior and accusations against the target.
How are the words "*****, chimpanzees, seemingly, lynch mob, justify, behavior, accusations, against, target" impersonal?

It sounds very personal and dependent on point of view.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:49 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, right? I just saw a snotty accusation to a lady that meant
absolutely nothing from her post! The mean person was 'looking ' for anything to be mean about!
Astonishing.

If I say it's a nice day...there could be someone out there saying ,"Oh you polly-anna people make me sick."
Huh?
To which I reply, "Is everything okay?"

Old 12-16-2018, 09:03 AM

609 posts, read 349,856 times
Great question. Throughout my work life, I'm been known to coworkers as happy positive person. Years back, i had an azzhole say to me, not everyone likes to see happy jovial people. I was so shocked at his rudness that I just said ok and walked off. Thinking about that situation again, i think some people hate life and attack easy targets to relieve stress.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:30 PM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Mod cut.

Yesterday, someone sent me a "reputation comment" that was another personal attack. Of course, they didn't even give their name. I thought, "what in the world?"

Some people are just real jerks - all the time!
That's a serious flaw in the vBulletin system; I wonder if there's a
remedy for that.

Another benefit of the XenForo forum platform, which a couple of other
forums I'm on use, is that the reputation feature doesn't allow for
comments. Posts are rated in a way similar to how it's done on Facebook,
eliminating the comment field altogether. If someone has something to
say, it's in a public post where everyone can see it.

Maybe someday CD will consider transitioning over to that.

-

Old 12-16-2018, 04:44 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Mod cut.

Yesterday, someone sent me a "reputation comment" that was another personal attack. Of course, they didn't even give their name. I thought, "what in the world?"

Some people are just real jerks - all the time!
That is against the rules, report it....they are not allowed to send you a rep personal attack.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:44 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
That is against the rules, report it....they are not allowed to send you a rep personal attack.
That’s what I suggested. The comments that are perceived as being personal attacks, as well - should be reported. If they are left standing, perhaps a review of what one thinks is a “personal attack” is in order. Are there any actual verbatim examples presented? I can give one or 2, and they were reported and deleted shortly thereafter.

There seem to be quite a few posters involved in these “Everyone’s Mean But Me” threads who lash out with the most insulting attacks on people they perceive to be “mean”. So ironic! Read the words that are getting used to describe the people they feel persecuted by...really not so nice at all.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:50 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
That’s what I suggested. The comments that are perceived as being personal attacks, as well - should be reported. If they are left standing, perhaps a review of what one thinks is a “personal attack” is in order. Are there any actual verbatim examples presented? I can give one or 2, and they were reported and deleted shortly thereafter.

There seem to be quite a few posters involved in these “Everyone’s Mean But Me” threads who lash out with the most insulting attacks on people they perceive to be “mean”. So ironic! Read the words that are getting used to describe the people they feel persecuted by...really not so nice at all.

Yeah...this.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:41 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
True enough...I wonder if there is no name if they can track it?

Old 12-17-2018, 12:28 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
What is very noticeable on this issue, and I have a list in my mind of those who love to attack my posts...these people rarely initiate an interesting informative post, but wait on the side lines to attack other's good info.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:44 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What is very noticeable on this issue, and I have a list in my mind of those who love to attack my posts...these people rarely initiate an interesting informative post, but wait on the side lines to attack other's good info.
But "attacking" and "good info" can be in the eye of the beholder. I've definitely seen posters play the victim after they've posted controversial or unsubstantiated claims and others have challenged them on their viewpoints. Perhaps they felt attacked, but a healthy debate on a forum isn't just accepting any information without question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology