Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 06:21 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,561,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Unless I am seriously deluding myself, I strive to be pleasant and polite to everyone*. However, here on C-D, it seems that SOME people will often look for hostility even when there is no hostility present, and they will become very hostile (and insulting). I have noticed this not only toward my own posts, but to many other posters, as well -- posters I can rely on being reasonable, nice and pleasant at least 99% of the time will often have very unkind things, imo, said to them in reply. The weird thing is that I don't think that most of the hostile people are trolls, necessarily, but they just seem to enjoy making others feel bad about themselves.

Do you agree or not? And if you do agree, why do you think those people do that?

(And, yes, it is easy to say "just ignore them", but I am the type that takes things to heart, and an unkind comment can spoil the rest of my day -- or at least an hour or so of it.)

*The exception is on Current Events and P&OC forums sometimes, in which I am very opinionated and often blunt, although I try very hard to never be actually insulting to other posters.

The hostile people would be that way person-to-person, if they had the courage. Lacking that, they slip in here and get their jollies, feeling safe and removed from reprisals.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:53 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,854,777 times
Oh well this is just part of human nature and has been since time immemorial. Even some of the sweet old ladies at the church committee meeting every Sunday probably loathe each other behind their backs and have the odd handbag flinging match every now and again.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:16 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,652,056 times
I hang out Mostly in the Health & Wellness area and I KNOW why I get attacked. But their attacks don't change my way of thinking and opinions.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:30 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Some here are just miserable rude frustrated cretins just like in real life but braver. What would be funny would be to meet some of them in a group setting, tough guys on the internet guaranteed not so much face to face! But not really tho who would have the time or desire LOL.
Maybe there are just three or four of them, with multiple personas and sign ins, and IRL they are either crazy cat ladies or old men alternating between sitting at a desk hunched over a weird, fat 2000 era monitor, and jumping up (wearing a dirty t shirt and old man underpants) and yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!" at the neighbor kids from their rickety front porch.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:12 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,841,591 times
Ahhh the irony continues in the EMBM thread.

The worst are those miserable rude frustrated cretins and crazy cat ladies, right?
They call people names and make assumptions, right?

It's just so rude...they are the mean people, who attack the "nice people".

Last edited by RbccL; 01-01-2019 at 03:29 PM..

Old 01-01-2019, 04:09 PM

1,013 posts, read 904,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
i don't know why people attack me. When i find out i'll let you know.
lol 😂

Old 01-01-2019, 04:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 904,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe there are just three or four of them, with multiple personas and sign ins, and IRL they are either crazy cat ladies or old men alternating between sitting at a desk hunched over a weird, fat 2000 era monitor, and jumping up (wearing a dirty t shirt and old man underpaknts) and yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!" at the neighbor kids from their rickety front porch.
Why thanks I can’t get those images out of my head now LOL 😂

Old 01-01-2019, 08:01 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,560,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Why thanks I can’t get those images out of my head now LOL 😂
Sorry, and get off my lawn.

"Here, kitty kitty....!"

Old 01-01-2019, 08:40 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,841,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry, and get off my lawn.

"Here, kitty kitty....!"
Aw. Why do posters seem to enjoy attacking nice people? 😿

Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 AM

28,883 posts, read 30,181,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've seen very strange behavior on the relocation (city/state) forums. Members who attack a new member inquiring about an area they're planning a move to, if the OP doesn't return within 24 hrs. to post on their own thread. That, alone, garners them "troll" accusations, on some of the city/region forums.
Members who provide valuable advice about a city, for a relo inquiry, attacked by other members who, for unknown reasons, make a concerted effort to discredit the respondent as a reliable source of info. I don't know how a website whose main purpose is to provide info on cities, regions, and states can function, with that type of activity allowed. It's baffling. The behavior is baffling, except that in some cases, it seems to come from young people, who don't know the area under discussion as well as they think they do, so they bash the well-informed members? It makes no sense.

But Good4Nothin may be onto something; it may be about creating or elevating a self-image of being an expert. So they put down the real experts? Still doesn't make sense, but then....humans often don't make sense.
Hi Ruth, yeah, I've noted that myself, actually people (not everyone of course,) but a lot of people are nasty today...I've been told that a lot of people come to City Data simply to read, b/c they are afraid of posting, due to how nasty people are to one another....

I to think it's about creating a self image....so yes, believe Good4nothin might be onto something....
Have you read news feeds on FB and how nasty people are? It really makes me sad, that people are unable to disagree with one another and not attack each other...but, I honestly believe today people define them selves by their political affiliation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology