Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 02:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,913,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The meaness continues and I just got blasted in the Health area, a lot of hotheads and probably on too many meds themselves. Too many meds can mess with the brain or some are just plain mean. And getting to others helps them feel superior. Mindboggling, but not really. The world is full of hotheads.
When it's anonymous like this, there's nothing to check peoples' responses, so they just type what they're thinking, which they would not verbalize if it were face-to-face. An actual real life, live interchange has social consequences.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
When it's anonymous like this, there's nothing to check peoples' responses, so they just type what they're thinking, which they would not verbalize if it were face-to-face. An actual real life, live interchange has social consequences.
The whole exchange was deleted my the mods, it was a simple mistake and a member blew it out of proportion...I never got reprimanded in school as I do by some strangers here.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
The whole exchange was deleted my the mods, it was a simple mistake and a member blew it out of proportion...I never got reprimanded in school as I do by some strangers here.
Sorry you went through that. I've observed that it does take a while to figure out how to survive around CD, and even then I get into trouble sometimes and it completely blindsided me, it was unexpected.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:40 AM

28,958 posts, read 30,311,726 times
Quote:
Sorry you went through that. I've observed that it does take a while to figure out how to survive around CD, and even then I get into trouble sometimes and it completely blindsided me, it was unexpected.
I don't believe it is just cd, but the common climate in today's world....there seems to be a lack of respect for another person's thoughts and feelings....a very low tollerance, for anyone who thinks and feels differently.

I don't know, I supposed before Technology, I must have lived a very sheltered life, b/c I don't ever remember people talking to each other like they do. And yes, it took me a very long time to develop a thick skin on the internet. I laugh now, thinking back, my thoughts then were, "oh won't it be exciting to meet and discuss issues and situations with people from all walks of life". Whoa, did I have a huge surprise in for me....LOL

People can be very nasty...if you don't think and believe as they do....especially woman...boy, if you as much as suggest, that bad parenting might be a cause for problems these days, they come in with both barrels, taking it very personal, and the funny part is, you don't even know them, you haven't had any discussions with them and wham, right away, they "think" your attacking them.

And you try like anything to explain that to them, and they still take offense, they don't get it?

I remember a time, I was having with my DIL, it was a huge problem...huge...and I thought I had found a sight to get some advice. It was made up of mostly DIL's, and there I was, a mother in law...and of course, the enemy. Boy I got both barrels sometime. But, through it all, no matter who was right and who was wrong, the end result was, I learned something from all of them....which helped....I was also so desperate to get answers, help and advice, that I was unable at the time to see the forest thru the trees...

I don't care anymore what people think of me, honestly I don't....but when I see others attacking posters, it annoys me...b/c not everyone is thick skinned, and some people hate to lose a disagreement, or they fear the fact that someone else thinks differently than they do, so they resort to personal attacks, to deflect.

So, move on, take what works for you and ignore the rest, and even them...b/c the more you argue with them, the more combative they become, they have to have the last word....

Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,073 times
This thread absolutely fascinates me from a psychological perspective.

It will lay dormant for weeks.

Then the same 2-3 posters resurrect it with repetitive complaints and anecdotes of how awful the world is becoming and how unfairly they're treated.

Is there a psychological aspect of this? If someone is so unhappy with a venue, why keep revisiting and then on top of it re-explaining the unhappiness? It's like forcing yourself to keep scraping your knee...just to have the pleasure of ripping the scab off later. Are there elements of martyrdom? Persecution complex?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This thread absolutely fascinates me from a psychological perspective.

It will lay dormant for weeks.

Then the same 2-3 posters resurrect it with repetitive complaints and anecdotes of how awful the world is becoming and how unfairly they're treated.

Is there a psychological aspect of this? If someone is so unhappy with a venue, why keep revisiting and then on top of it re-explaining the unhappiness? It's like forcing yourself to keep scraping your knee...just to have the pleasure of ripping the scab off later. Are there elements of martyrdom? Persecution complex?
Or maybe they're just waiting for the people who are consistently negative and cruel to pop up so they can keep an eye on them.

There isn't much in human behavior that doesn't have a psychological aspect; I can't think of anything. Consistency, particularly consistent negatively, is a bit scary. If someone presents as a negative spirit every single time they post, one wonders what horrors they're associated with in RL*. See:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...he_Lambs_(film)

Yikes.

* Real Life

Old 06-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Interesting. I just observe the life of an open-ended post like this. It will lay dormant for a long time and then, without provocation,"POP" back to the top with cut-and-paste commentary.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:41 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,770,382 times
There are definitely mean people out there however some people aren't as nice as they think they are.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
There are definitely mean people out there however some people aren't as nice as they think they are.
Welp, denigrating and gas lighting others is pleasurable to some people. It's pretty obvious, but one component of that sort of character is a mistaken attitude of superiority, the notion that other people are stupid, that kindness is a sign of weakness. It's just basically evil. And ubiquitous.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Welp, denigrating and gas lighting others is pleasurable to some people. It's pretty obvious, but one component of that sort of character is a mistaken attitude of superiority, the notion that other people are stupid, that kindness is a sign of weakness. It's just basically evil. And ubiquitous.
This may explain the recent plethora of threads whose topics are essentially "why is everyone dumb except me"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.